Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Helpful TT Veteran Tidbits Requested

We are new to the TT world. Been tenders up till now. Tired of sweating. We just bought a new 2014 Wildwood 26TBSS and since won't get to take it out until next weekend I was hoping some of you might bring forth some helpful tidbits on things to bring with us on our first outing such as helpful tools we should have, extras of anything, certain types of accessories we should go ahead and buy, insights on this specific TT if you have them etc. Just whatever you might think we need to know to make this a pleasant experience. Our PDI today started off poorly by having the power tongue jack motor burn out as he was showing me how it worked. The water heater would not fire up and a couple other minor things. All got fixed (I hope) but it won't get a real shakedown until next weekend. So, I'm skeptical and nervous seeing as how this wasn't a great start.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I wouldn't be without my BAL x-chocks - best way to keep your trailer from the front/back rocking. Anything you can do to stabilize it - self-storing step stabilizer, Valterra stabilizer under the rear bumper also helps, Andersen Levelers to level side to side - all to name a few.

Main goal?

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

One of the forum members on here (ependydad) runs a website with a ton of useful info for people new to RVing. I highly recommend you start with this page on his site:

Learn To RV: Newbie - First Trip Essentials

It'll cover the bare minimum of what you'll need to bring with you on your first trip.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
One of the forum members on here (ependydad) runs a website with a ton of useful info for people new to RVing. I highly recommend you start with this page on his site:

Learn To RV: Newbie - First Trip Essentials

It'll cover the bare minimum of what you'll need to bring with you on your first trip.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

We have found quite a few of the items we used to take with us tent camping we still use with the TT. The difference is we no longer have to pack/unpack with each trip as they just stay in the trailer. Some things we didn't use tent camping but have found handy are a 9 ft X 12 ft outdoor rug, wrap around stair tread carpets, and a good broom. All of these help keep the dirt and rocks out of the TT.

Not nessecarily something to bring with you but when you get the trailer home be sure to disinfect the water system if not already done. You should also start up the refrigerator the day before your trip so it has a chance to cool down. Unlike home units RV evaporative types take a while to cool.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #6

All good stuff. Keep it coming.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #7

Go through an entire daily routine.

I'm going to need to cook. Pots, pans, cooking and eating utensils, plates and bowls, etc.

I'll need to shower. Toiletries, soap and shampoo (I just keep a bottle of liquid soap and shampoo out there.) towels, etc.

Just do that with a notepad and in each area. Basically you'll partially duplicate your household goods.

Andersen levelers, chairs and something to poke the fire. The rest you'll sort out.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

A sense of humor is mandatory. Also a notepad and pen. And your adult beverages of choice. The keys to the trailer also helps...
But most importantly, bring your pillows!
You'll forget something you wanted to bring, think of many things you should've brought, and figure out what you don't need. If you used it while in a tent, you will probably want it the first few times. It all really depends on if you spend most of your time outside or in.
Have fun!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #9

Toilet chemicals,power cord adapters,might need an extra sewer hose,extension cord in case hook-ups are further from your TTthen expected and don't be shy to ask a neighbor for help if there is something you don't understand or might need to borrow, most campers are very willing to help.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightywad View Post
We are new to the TT world. Been tenders up till now. Tired of sweating. We just bought a new 2014 Wildwood 26TBSS and since won't get to take it out until next weekend I was hoping some of you might bring forth some helpful tidbits on things to bring with us on our first outing such as helpful tools we should have, extras of anything, certain types of accessories we should go ahead and buy, insights on this specific TT if you have them etc. Just whatever you might think we need to know to make this a pleasant experience. Our PDI today started off poorly by having the power tongue jack motor burn out as he was showing me how it worked. The water heater would not fire up and a couple other minor things. All got fixed (I hope) but it won't get a real shakedown until next weekend. So, I'm skeptical and nervous seeing as how this wasn't a great start.
Do the (real shakedown) at Home in the parking area! You can (Play Makebelieve) minus the A/C by running a Ex cord. Set the unit up (Completely) thus anything you (Might) need is a Short walk away! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #11

Before you leave, invest in a rhinoflex sewer system by Camco. Really.REALLY.seriously!

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...rds=Rhino+flex

The cheapo you got from your RV dealer will set you up for failure and believe me failure in the sewer area is one place you never want to go 😱
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Thanks all. Great info.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #13

a jack and tire tool. make sure u can remove the nuts before u leave. i would torque mine before leaving. when i did have a flat, i was not able to remove the nuts (tire tool did not fit over the decorative nuts properly) with the tool that i had. also learn where to put the jack when jacking.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

A box of disposable nitrile gloves for the black tank duties.
I get mine at Auto Zone.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Before you leave, invest in a rhinoflex sewer system by Camco. Really.REALLY.seriously!

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...rds=Rhino+flex

The cheapo you got from your RV dealer will set you up for failure and believe me failure in the sewer area is one place you never want to go 😱

X2 on this. We used the original cheapo hose and one just like it after it wore out. Bought the Rhino and there is a huge difference in quality!
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 AM   #16

My wife basically went to the 99cent store and furnished out TT so we wouldn't have to take things from the house. Thrift stores have a lot for cheap also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forest River Forums mobile app
everett.devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #17

Bought a new black tank flush hose at Family Dollar for ten bucks in AZ.

Plastic plates and bowls from Costco we now have a set of these.

Dexas® Heavy Duty Grippmat® Cutting Boards (Set of 4) - BedBathandBeyond.com