Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #21

Hello, I live near Ocala Fl. and will be going to a Forrest River Rally in Goshen In. over the summer. I have a Nissan Titan with tow package for my Rockwood 8280 ultra lite fifth wheel grossing out at about 8400 lbs. The map quest route takes me through Altanta and the mtns. of Tenn. going over the famous MountEagle 1940 ft. grade of 6% up and down for about 40 miles. Rather than fight the Atl. traffic and Mtns., we are taking the I65 route thru more western Tenn. into Alabama, then to Tallahassee Fl., It only adds 60 miles to the trip with elevations of only about 800 ft. without the Atlanta traffic.
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #22

I65 route through Ala. to Fl. to avoid high elevation towing

I suggest taking the I65 route down from Ohio which should only add a max of an hour travel time, but will eliminate the mountains and the heavy Atlanta traffic.
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedgraber View Post
Hi All,

Looking at purchasing H G @72 rlis, and towing with 03 expedition 5.4 4x4.

Question drive from Ohio to Florida every yr for Christmas holiday, concerned if I am making a mistake into capability going through mts etc. I know expeditions 8900lbs towing, unit is 7k and tt close to 7800lbs or so loaded using rough guess.

Am I making a mistake? Also any advise on this model of tt.

Steve
Steve, I upgraded from a 2011 Keystone 278RLS (4860 LBS), which was great to pull with my Toyota Sequoia, but now that I just got a 2015 HG 272RLIS (7300 LBS) it was almost a show stopper, the Sequoia can pull up to 8000 LBS no problem but I didn't want to push it, so I now use a Ford F-150XLT and pulls great.
Good Luck and happy Camping
Freddy
FreddyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
Steve, I upgraded from a 2011 Keystone 278RLS (4860 LBS), which was great to pull with my Toyota Sequoia, but now that I just got a 2015 HG 272RLIS (7300 LBS) it was almost a show stopper, the Sequoia can pull up to 8000 LBS no problem but I didn't want to push it, so I now use a Ford F-150XLT and pulls great.
Good Luck and happy Camping
Freddy
I recentky weighted my 2015 Hemi 272RLIS with very little in it and came up with 1,144 on tongue and 6830 on axles = 7974. The weight can slip up on you very easily. This was only the second time we had it out and only for a weekend. I had the front storage loaded with Power Cord, Sewer and Water Hose, Light propone grill with small gas cylinders and that was basically it. Inside was ver few clothes and NO dishes, silver ware etc yet. I was surprised. Not worried from my perspective as I have plenty of truck and towing capacity for this unit. I fully expect to see it weight out close to 9K once we get our gear all loaded. Just saying the weight often misleading.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote