Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Heritage Glen 272rlis tow w/03 fd expedition 5.4 4×4

Hi All,

Looking at purchasing H G @72 rlis, and towing with 03 expedition 5.4 4x4.

Question drive from Ohio to Florida every yr for Christmas holiday, concerned if I am making a mistake into capability going through mts etc. I know expeditions 8900lbs towing, unit is 7k and tt close to 7800lbs or so loaded using rough guess.

Am I making a mistake? Also any advise on this model of tt.

Steve
stevedgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

You need to look at GCWR which is 15000 for my Expy. That is the entire package, vehicle, people, bags and fuel plus camper and what is in the camper. Your probably very close to that. When I was looking at a TT I almost bought one with a 7200 dry weight and my 2013 5.4 4x2 Expy has a 9200 tow limit with the tow package. The GCWR was the show stopper for me. I did not want to thrash my vehicle, have an accident or be liable running overweight. I needed another vehicle anyway and got a new pick-up and now have a proper tow vehicle and am getting a fifth wheel but not all can. That aside, I then set a TT limit at 6000 dry weight for the Expy to end up keeping at least 1000 pounds below my GCWR but never bought one. But that was just me. I think the more you search the more you'll realize your pushing it at that weight and that is why I demanded my deposit back on the TT and ended up getting a F250 for this madness. But I am having fun. Initially I was dissapointed but there are some really nice TT's out there at 6000lbs the 7200 Rockwood monster left me with only 500lbs to play with at 14500.
libertyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

I have the same TT, love it but empty its 7,350 +/-. Add the average 1000 lbs of cargo and you're in the mid 8000 lb range. Should be ok pulling it just put more stuff in the trailer than in the rear of TV to help keep the TV cargo weights down...
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
I have the same TT, love it but empty its 7,350 +/-. Add the average 1000 lbs of cargo and you're in the mid 8000 lb range. Should be ok pulling it just put more stuff in the trailer than in the rear of TV to help keep the TV cargo weights down...
Thanks for the reply,

I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy, "liberty" opened my eyes a bit, with the combo i am looking at we are at the max on just about every category, which means i may not make it up and down the mtns during our trip down south.

Wind is one thing, going up some of those grades is another. I currently have an class A DP, it makes it but barely.

So i am thinking this may not be the best situation for us, only 2 of us and 2 small dogs.

Very disappointed as we really wanted this TT but we cant go out and get a super duty truck!

Not looking good right now, but i will listen to anyone who has some comments good or bad.

Steve
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

I don't have a super duty truck. Mine is a ram 1500 with hemi. Course mine has a few mods and a programmer but tows it just fine.. In the mtns also..
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
I don't have a super duty truck. Mine is a ram 1500 with hemi. Course mine has a few mods and a programmer but tows it just fine.. In the mtns also..
Ya, i have an 05 ram Daytona, but its only 2 door, would need quad cab to fit everyone! 2 people and 2 dogs in a 2 door would be a bit tight lol.

Steve
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Steve do some checking around on these RV sites. I know it is the "internet" and opinions are like well...you know, everyone has one. I don't want to be solely responsible for dashing this for you and I was a bit bummed about it also. Just do the numbers and consult folks that have actually pulled one of these monsters with YOUR truck setup the same way even my Expy is different than yours. Disclaimer, this is all theoretical for me at this point but I have survived aviation for 25+ years keeping weight and balance and performance in mind and I don't get practice runs buying a TT for my tow vehicle. Just hoping you'll be okay was not for me I wanted to stay under limits and with breathing room I did not want a TT that ended up not be used as much because I did not do my homework.
Just make sure you talk to folks with no sales agenda. When my salesman said that if he sent me down the road in something too big that HE would be liable I knew I could not trust him, I was not born yesterday.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyteeth View Post
Steve do some checking around on these RV sites. I know it is the "internet" and opinions are like well...you know, everyone has one. I don't want to be solely responsible for dashing this for you and I was a bit bummed about it also. Just do the numbers and consult folks that have actually pulled one of these monsters with YOUR truck this is all theoretical for me at this point but I have survived aviation for 25+ years keeping weight and balance and performance in mind. Just hoping you'll be okay was not for me I wanted to stay under limits and with breathing room I did not want a TT that ended up not be used as much because I did not do my homework.
Just make sure you talk to folks with no sales agenda. When my salesman sid that if he sent me down the road in something to big that HE would be liable I knew I could not trust him, I was not born yesterday.
Agreed! i was skeptical with what the dealer was telling me, like i said i have a class a DP 38 footer and i know what thats like driving in wind and snow and the mountains and its not the greatest experience for sure. they say "oh you will have no trouble these things tow like a dream bla bla bla, you drive it away and then uh oh i go up a small grade going so slow the semi is passing me with his 4 ways on lol.

Only thing we have towed b4 is a boat, and that i tow with my truck, i have seen the accidents with these things on the highway during our travels and it scares the crap out of me. I dont want to be fighting the thing constantly for as long as our trips are.

I am appreciate all the advise i can get.

Steve
Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #9

I would think living in RV Mecca up there you could find something 1000 lighter that would make yens happy. You'd sleep better. I was planning a trip up there to buy from RV Wholesalers until my wife said I could give my old truck to my kid and then just get a new one...
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyteeth View Post
I would think living in RV Mecca up there you could find something 1000 lighter that would make yens happy. You'd sleep better. I was planning a trip up there to buy from RV Wholesalers until my wife said I could give my old truck to my kid and then just get a new one...
Nice!! A new truck would solve all my problems lol, except i think i would be single after that......hummm maybe thats not a bad thing lmao!

No no better not go there!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

You might end up buying a new truck anyway
If you try pulling that TT with your current one! I know, bad joke. I love my Expy did not want to burn the motor up and scare myself. I'm not a white knuckles driver or flyer. All my best , I am interested in how your story ends.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

That is an excellent choice, I have the same TT and love it, but instead of using my 2006 Sequoia (which can pull 7k) I'm using a Ford F150 XLT and pulls nice. I also didn't get it because the weight. Good luck ..Enjoy your camping!
FreddyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
That is an excellent choice, I have the same TT and love it, but instead of using my 2006 Sequoia (which can pull 7k) I'm using a Ford F150 XLT and pulls nice. I also didn't get it because the weight. Good luck ..Enjoy your camping!
Im sorry, i am not clear on your statement, are u saying you did or have this unit, and are towing with F150 or you did not get it due to the wght?

steve
Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #14

I did get it, and I pull it with an F150XLT (pictured)...If you are concern about the weight, try the keystone Bullet 278RL, the floor plan is similar but the weight is a lot less and you will be able to pull with your Expedition. I just trade the Bullet for the HG. The HG 272RLIS is longer and has 2 slides instead of one from the Bullet.
FreddyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
I did get it, and I pull it with an F150XLT (pictured)...If you are concern about the weight, try the keystone Bullet 278RL, the floor plan is similar but the weight is a lot less and you will be able to pull with your Expedition. I just trade the Bullet for the HG. The HG 272RLIS is longer and has 2 slides instead of one from the Bullet.
Aha! Thank you for the clarification! I think, and prolly mistaken, but the F150 and the Exped are close in same towing, 8900 is what is say but only 15k GW with Trailer.

Do you do any type of traveling up mountain grades, im talking the smokies from North (Ohio) to Fl. so going through KY and TN is most of the Mts issues.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #16

I have a GMC Yukon and it would pull the trailer ok but you had better check the payload limit, with the tongue weight of the trailer and the DW and I we were over the payload limit but 300 pounds and were are not big people. The payload on my Yukon is 1200 pounds
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks View Post
I have a GMC Yukon and it would pull the trailer ok but you had better check the payload limit, with the tongue weight of the trailer and the DW and I we were over the payload limit but 300 pounds and were are not big people. The payload on my Yukon is 1200 pounds
Agreed,

Was trying to figure things up, we come in with bodies, dogs, propane, clothes, coolers, food, BEER, BEER, BEER, did i mention Beer, Just kidding 12 pk Beer last me a weekend, lol, but anyhow we are looking around 700 lbs additional wght.

But.... the nice thing about a TT that we never really had prior is we would have a vehicle to drive and get most of the supply's, b4 with a class A it was a chore to take that to the local stores as most do not have parking for the big rig. Now with having vehicle can go to any mom n pop stores if needed.

I still am on the fence, someone else mentioned i would need to get "d" or "e" rated tires, Air bags for the suspension etc.

This is starting to get a bit more complicated.

Steve
Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

There is more to it than a hasty RV salesman will tell you. I was looking at a RAM 2500
before I settled on the F250 both diesel.
With a fifth wheel pin weight of 1700 I only had about 600-700 of payload left in the Ram.
The F250 payload is about 1000lbs higher.
So now my entire family can ride in the Supercrew not just me and a full tank of fuel.
You have payload limit, tongue limit
and the entire everything limit to consider.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

I want to thank everyone for their contributions, We have come to the conclusion to go ahead and purchase the unit.

If we (or when we) feel uncomfortable on how the combo preforms, will be looking for a more suitable tow vehicle.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedgraber View Post
I want to thank everyone for their contributions, We have come to the conclusion to go ahead and purchase the unit.

If we (or when we) feel uncomfortable on how the combo preforms, will be looking for a more suitable tow vehicle.

Thanks.

Great choice.. And You'll love the 272RLIS...