Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Heritage Glen 309BOK

I have been looking for a travel trailer for a while and had almost decided on a Cougar 29BHS. I have found a 2018 Heritage Glen 309BOK pretty close to me for %50 off MSRP. The floor plan is almost identical and it's much cheaper. It's a new, leftover unit. I have seen several 2018 leftovers up north with this floor plan. The price is definitely right, but were there issues with this model that made them sit on the lots for this long? Would there be any issue with buying a new one that's already 2 years old? Thanks ahead of time.
tcurtsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

I can’t speak to this exact model but we do have a Heritage Glen 24BHHL, we love ours but some of the craftsmanship is sub par, luckily I like fixing and tweaking things so it’s not a big issue. Price was a factor in our purchase. It was between a 2018 left over and a new 2019.
HouseClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with the Heritage Glen line, but one thing I always do when I'm considering a new trailer is check NADA. Banks will use this information when deciding how much they will loan. The model you are looking at is here: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2018/...6583096/Values

So it looks like the dealer is selling it below current value, if they are asking in the $18-19,000 price range. You won't take a huge hit in depreciation like most new trailer buyers do.

For comparison, I bought my 2015 Bullet 220RBI new in August of 2015 for 25% off MSRP, $4000 below the price posted in the trailer.

Things to consider when purchasing a leftover model: do the original manufacturer's warranties start at the time of purchase (i.e. do you still have a 12 year warranty on the roof, or do you only have 10)? Has the roof been periodically inspected and maintained by the dealer while it has been sitting on the lot? What is the condition of the sidewalls and graphics? The tires may already be two years old, you will want to replace them in the next three years, regardless of warranty and tread condition. The date of manufacture is on the sidewall of the tire, on a 2018 trailer the tires could have been produced in 2017. Is there any checking of the tire sidewalls? This is more likely to occur if the tires have not been kept properly inflated. In other words, it is the exposure of the exterior of the trailer to the sun that warrants closest inspection.

Finally, are all of the original hang tags and stickers on the various components inside intact? If not, ask if the the trailer has been used for personal use by the owner or a member of the staff (more common at small dealerships).
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

I was told that it was new, pictures still show the tags. But then again, I don't know when the pictures were taken. They are asking $23k and was told the warranty would start when I picked it up. It seems like a good deal, probably worth driving to check it out. Thanks for the advice on the roof and tires, I'll pay attention to those areas.
tcurtsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

I agree it's worth checking out if it is a floorplan that you are interested in and it is fairly close to you. At $23000 it's still below NADA average retail, though it's not at 50% off the MSRP listed on NADA as the dealer is advertising.

My comment on the trailer possibly having been used by staff is based on an experience with a dealer about 3 hours from me when I was shopping online, before I bought the Bullet. It is probably the odd occurrence, but....

Good luck, keep us posted.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #6
Always Learning

I bought my rig (different make/model) after it sat on the lot for 15 months or so. I had a few occurrences of “lot rot” with brittle plastics in a couple of places. Overall, I have been happy with it. I would buy again for the cost savings.

One downside, if you intend to go to the Forest River International Rally in Goshen and hope for free repairs, they do it by model year. I’ve only had my rig for 1 1/2 years and this was my last chance to go (I didn’t). Would have been nice to get another year or two out of that gracious offer.