Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #121

The tarp thing is what I'm thinking also. With that back door and grill back there it makes it a little tough. Question, to you have slide awnings? Pros/cons? Do you have a ladder? Pros/cons?
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #122

No slide out awnings....might be a good idea in our case we use it as our cottage and it only moves in the Spring and Fall...I do have a ladder and have found it handy to access the roof for the annual checks for sealer issues, etc....Fantastic view from there as well. Love ours. Have done several mods so far including....front storage roll out tray on the large side to side hatch doors...removed the bedroom steps and installed new ones with storage underneath each step....put drawer slides on the under seats at the table...and last for now...drawer slides in the kitchen cupboards just inside the door on the left...bottom two have them now and it allows us to pull them out to access things rather than unpacking and repacking after you find what you want....I actually have the newest mod in the backseat of the car now and will do that tonight. That is to add a third leg to the kitchen table as it has a definite lean towards the seat/window area...I plan on moving the current legs forward on the floor and table and then add a third one to the back area which should fix the problem for good. Oh forgot to mention LED lighting up under the awning that my son (Industrial Electrician, 2 nd year apprentice) installed for me. Several complements on it from people...looks factory....usually I respond by saying....hell..better than factory...it is not just stapled on. Generally it is very nice. Added a 32" LED TV to the kids backroom with a small home theatre system which they love.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #123

Sounds like some amazing upgrades. I would love to see some pics sometime if it's not to much to ask. Really like the idea of adding slide out storage options in the large storage in the front and the stair idea. So cool. Good luck tonight on the table. Take pics while your in there. thanks again.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #124
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is what I did with bikes and was mentioned earlier. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408390367.569432.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	60850Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408390388.146159.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	60851

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #125

Great and thanks for the pics Aqua. Does it affect your turning capabilities at all?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #126

Maybe a swing out rack off the rear bumper?? So you could still access the rear door. Just a thought.
locomotivejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #127
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork View Post
Great and thanks for the pics Aqua. Does it affect your turning capabilities at all?

Not at all. I could actually add 2 more bikes to the frame and still clear the cab. I do have an 8' bed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #128

Very excited about picking up the camper tomorrow. We did the pdi last Saturday and I left it there so they can finish up some final items. What are your ideas about hot water heaters? Should I have gotten a 10 gallon? Or will a 6 gallon hot water heater with quick recovery be okay? FYI - for those of you who are following my journey the dealer will be throwing in a ladder in about three or four weeks, very awesome.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_bovio View Post
Ok good to know, I'm wondering if I can do it myself since I'm a full timer n have a full house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Mario - did you get this fixed? Mine stopped working this weekend and was hoping I could fix it myself. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #130

No, I have been busy at work
mario_bovio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Today I had fun with mods. I installed the Bal stabilizers for the landing gear. What a difference they made in the reduction of sway and bounce in the trailer. I also installed a shallow cabinet to enclose the main control panel and slide switches. My 2 year old loved to play with the buttons so I made up this cover and hopefully that will help.

Attachment 39346

Attachment 39347

Attachment 39348

Attachment 39349

Hey Chewie,
Can you please let me know where you purchased your cabinet to cover the control panel? Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #132

I made it, went and got a cabinet door similar to the factory, made a frame and used 1/4 ply for the back. Stained to match.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I made it, went and got a cabinet door similar to the factory, made a frame and used 1/4 ply for the back. Stained to match.

Thanks Chewie. Another question, I see in another post you called Forest River to get the stain color, do you recall what it was?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #134

If I remember correct it was Cognac
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #135

upgraded all inside lights to LED's and added two more battery's for boon docking, damn furnace more will eat one battery up in half a night!!. Out this weekend for our first (non-redneck)campaign of the year !!
DiverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #136

I got the same unit - thanks for the info on the toilet - second time I read it and I will be changing mine out before it begins to smell.
enheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverT View Post
upgraded all inside lights to LED's and added two more battery's for boon docking, damn furnace more will eat one battery up in half a night!!. Out this weekend for our first (non-redneck)campaign of the year !!
Thanks for jogging my memory on this. Last 5er I had I could make the battery last for two days. Just got this 2015 Wildwood 356QBQ, and I love the extra space.
But I wonder why it eats batteries? Do you happen to know the CCA and reserve capacity of a standard battery on this rig? I ask because I think the dealer shorted me on the battery size.

Also, where did you install extra batteries? I just put in a battery switch for when the rig is stored so it won't draw it down, so I am thinking that if I put in another battery I would need a switch to switch between them. But I also would like any extra batteries to be charged by the inverter also when it is plugged in to AC power. So how did you do yours?

Finally, I am wondering if putting a solar on the roof would allow me to primitive camp and keep the battery charged. What do you know about that?

Thanks again. This is my first post to this forum....
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #138

MOODMAN: I pulled the plastic battery box out and turned the batteries sideways. don't know what the CCA is I just know that the heater blower will kill a single battery in one night, now I can go a weekend. I have not checked into the solar aspect yet but a few have, just do a search on solar and a few will pop up.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverT View Post
MOODMAN: I pulled the plastic battery box out and turned the batteries sideways. don't know what the CCA is I just know that the heater blower will kill a single battery in one night, now I can go a weekend. I have not checked into the solar aspect yet but a few have, just do a search on solar and a few will pop up.
Turned the batteries sideways? I don't know about yours, but my battery box can only accommodate one battery. Is it possible that you have three very small batteries? That could be why your battery doesn't last very long.

CCA stands for cold cranking amps. It is a measure of how much reserve capacity the battery has. It is usually stamped on the top of the battery.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #140

I have 3 series 24 deka deep cycle batteries each with 140 min reserve, CCA are not important for RV's as I don't have a motor to crank over.