Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Heritage Glen

I am new to this forum and new to 5th Wheel vans. I didn't see a thread for the H-Glen so thought I would start one.

We took possession of a brand new HG last week and been having an energetic and exciting time with it so far. After an reasonably uneventful 85km trip to home (apart from the deafening roar coming from the engine bay in the 42 degree heat - the electric fan had a hard time all the way home), everything seemed like all will be well forever, Ha!

My son and I built a landing pad at his country property (Pakenham) specifically to be home to The Truck and The Van and I spend $2500 on earth moving and blue-metal stones, many laborious hours of hand shifting the stuff into a reasonably horizontal and level pad, 15m long & 4m wide, with a rather savagely short, steep entry ramp, but a gentle slope for the exit. Trouble was, we hadn't counted on how narrow his property gateway was, how sharp the turn in was from the very narrow country land/road and that two trees leaned over his drive just a bit too much and stopped me using the intended entry ramp. So I drove the rig up the exit. Easy-peasy.

Took me 1min to get the beast up onto the pad and 2hrs to back it back out, moving mountains of stone and soil to remodel the exit ramp, filling drain holes with huge bluestone rocks, small stones and gravel, the reversing through the entry gate, down entry drive, missing the gate posts, the brick letter box and another ruddy great hole right on the edge of the driveway, the lane and down to into a neighbour's driveway, so I could then drive forward and back to the highway. All this time my wife was hiding in the kitchen sipping tea with my daughter-in-law, they couldn't bear the stress of watching the show.

The joys of Big Rigs. Next week I am going to tow training school (to show them how I did it?).

First disappointment with The Van, the aircon is a real wimp. It was only 38 degrees outside (42 inside) and after running the A/C for 3 hours, the temp dropped by just 3 degrees.

Sorry for the huge opening, but I get carried away. Also, this post should have been the start of a new thread from root, not inside R-Pod (whatever that is).

Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Team
thread moved to Wildwood section

Next year is here - GO CUBS- 6 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 86 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
G'day Murbella7 and congrats on your new unit.
Sounds like you have had a lot of fun in your steep learning curve.
I too am an Aussie 5th wheeler owner and also disappointed with air conditioner performance.
You will find that the AC unit is only affective up until the low 30's degrees which is why most opt for the second AC unit in the main bedroom to try and keep up.
I didn't go the extra AC as the extra height at the front was a problem for me.
Anyway try and use shade (and awning) where possible and get the AC going early to try and beat the heat. Lucky you are in Victoria with less heat (usually).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote