Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #1

Heritage Glen Generator question

Hi guys, so I have a 2015 Heritage Glen 327RE and I can’t find a a generator that can power my AC. I now have 2 paralleled Honda eu2000 and still overloading. Any input or success? (My camper does have a 50amp FYI)
Powerstroke_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

following this.

only thought would be to turn off all other electric loads. i'm specifically thinking of the converter. also, double check that water heated electric element is turned off. and only one a/c if you have multiple.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

You can't use it all. Put the water heater on gas. Ref on gas. Manage your load. If you find 2 things you can't use at the same time.......don't do it. many people here get by very well with 2- 2000 Hondas
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_dude View Post
Hi guys, so I have a 2015 Heritage Glen 327RE and I can’t find a a generator that can power my AC. I now have 2 paralleled Honda eu2000 and still overloading. Any input or success? (My camper does have a 50amp FYI)

Cavie has a very good point. It could be that you're running more things on electric than you think/realize.

Different camper for me, but a 50amp rig with a 15k A/C and a 13k A/C.

At sea level, I could run my single 15k A/C on a single Honda EU2000 generator. I had to turn off all of other breakers in the panel, but it would run the single A/C. It flashed "overload" for a moment but would keep on chugging.

With pair of paralleled Honda EU2000 generators, we could easily run the 15k A/C and another high use appliance (say the battery charger but not another A/C).
Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Bene Gesserit Rule

As above, you have to remember that your are camping, not house sitting. You should temper your demands. In fact a 3kw unit should be more sufficient to cater to the usual needs of camping. It will power your charger/convert which will give you lights and batteries (your lights should be 12v and running off the battery anyway), run the fridge off the LPG if it is a 2/3-way, and the same with the hot water. The only think you need mains power for is the TV if it isn't 12v, the heating, if it isn't gas and the a/c, which will invariably be 120v.

You might want to use the microwave and toaster at some point, but neither both at the same time. Most likely the a/c will be off when you use these. Just because you have a 50amp connection doesn't mean you have that capacity when not mains connected, not expect to be able to load the system to that level.

So, with 4kw of generator supply, you should have loads of spare capacity for sensible use.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

When using the parallel 2000’s it is overloading. Everything is off. This should be putting close to 4000w but apparently not enough to power just the AC alone. Hence the reason for my post. This is very frustrating at this is my 3rd purschased generator and still no success. The only time I’ve been successful at running my AC Is when plugged into to 50amp.

Does anyone have a heritage Glen that has similar issues powering the AC? Do I need to buy a 4K-5k? Lol I just don’t get it.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Trust me Murbella, i do have an idea of how things work in a camper. I don’t try to run multiple things at once. And I know what runs off 12v vs lp. My problem is the damn AC.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_dude View Post
Trust me Murbella, i do have an idea of how things work in a camper. I don’t try to run multiple things at once. And I know what runs off 12v vs lp. My problem is the damn AC.
OK, thought as much. So, buy an umbrella and sit outside, with a beer or a bourbon.
My HG 28RLT has one a/c unit that runs happily off my 3kw generator. Your a/c must be a monster, or something else is wrong.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Nice. Sounds like a nice evening camping. But still doesn’t solve my problem.. I paid for an RV with an AC, now I just need to get it to work.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

just a thought. do you happen to have an ems installed on your shore power line that displays the number of amps on each leg? if you do how many amps does it show being used when running the a/c on shore power?

also, i believe the hondas have a 30 amp connection. you have a 50 amp power cord. so there must be an adapter between the two. is this adapter putting generator power on both of the 50 amp legs. if you do have an ems in the shore power connection what is it saying when powered by genetrator?

these are just stabs at the problem that may or may not apply
Old 06-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Are you sure your generators are actually linked together or is just one providing power? If they are then the fix is simple...install a hard start capacitor on your AC.

I have a 13.5k AC on my Wildcat Max 285RKX and a Champion 3400 generator. The generator would not run the AC even with all circuit breakers off other than the AC. Installed a hard start capacitor and all is well now. I can even run the microwave with the AC running. The fridge and hot water have to be on propane but they normally would be when boondocking.
AUHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUHunter View Post
Are you sure your generators are actually linked together or is just one providing power? If they are then the fix is simple...install a hard start capacitor on your AC.

I have a 13.5k AC on my Wildcat Max 285RKX and a Champion 3400 generator. The generator would not run the AC even with all circuit breakers off other than the AC. Installed a hard start capacitor and all is well now. I can even run the microwave with the AC running. The fridge and hot water have to be on propane but they normally would be when boondocking.
Would you please provide a link of the capacitor you selected ? Or help a electrically challenged camper out...would this one do the trick ?

https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacito.../dp/B0002YTLFE
iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...iABEgImTfD_BwE

Not sure if you have a Dometic AC or not but this is the one I installed. Strap it down and hook up 2 wires. Super simple install even for electrically challenged.
AUHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #14

sweet, thanks !
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	178208

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	178209

This is my setup. On the diagram I see "comp start assist" but I don't think that means a hard start device.

Tags
generator