Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

HG 282RK Pro & Cons

I am looking at a 2015 HG 282RK to purchase. It seems like a perfect trailer for my wife and me. All the numbers I run , this trailers weight looks like a good match for our 2015 Silverado 1500. Any thoughts on this TT or River Forest products? Thanks
danceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Your is the same as the Salem Hemisphere 282rk. There should be several good threads with different info in the Salem section too.

If the link works below it should take you to one of them.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t.php?p=619115

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

That's the trailer and truck combo I have and I'm satisfied.
petersp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #4

I pull my Hemisphere with a 2011 Silverado HD 2500 4wd crew cab long bed diesel.

I've had no problem pulling it but I don't really have anything to compare it to as my last camper was a 1975 19ft Taurus TT.

Tim

Old 08-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

We tow our 2015 HG 302FK with our 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab diesel.
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

I have a 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK and I tow it with a 2013 Ford F150. I've had no issues at all. I love the layout of the TT.

Matt
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #7

I have a Heritage Glen 282RK and love it. I pull it with a 2014Ford F150 and have no problems with it. It never leaves 5th gear and cruises between 60-65 mph. We love the layout.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

I have a Hemisphere 282 RK for 2 years. Very happy with this unit. Light weight for it's length. My 2015 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7 Hemi tows it well with Air Ride rear air bags.
I needed to add a 3" memory foam topper on the cheap stock mattress.
The cabinet doors do not stay closed positively. We broke the bottom pantry door when it opened while towing and was caught by the slide when extended.
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

We have a 2014 HG 282RK and love it. Plenty of room in it. We camped in it for 30 straight days in Colorado and never felt cramped. I pull with a 2013 F250 6.7 diesel with no problems at all.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I have a 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK and I tow it with a 2013 Ford F150. I've had no issues at all. I love the layout of the TT.

Matt
We also had to add the 3 inch memory foam and make sleeping a lot better
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #11

Matt,

I am considering buying a 2016 Salem Hemisphere 282rk. Now that you have had yours for a couple years, would you still recommend this trailer?

Jeff
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #12

Now that we have passed the 2 year mark with the Hemis 282RK. Yes, I recommend the trailer. Since we camp at many un-serviced parks I added a 125 watt solar charging system, 2 Interstate 6-volt golf cart batteries & updated all interior bulbs to LED. Now the Honda 2000 genny is only used for the microwave, toaster, hairdryer.
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #13

We have a 2014 HG 282RK and we love it. We're pulling it with a 2015 GMC w/5.3L V8 with a max tow package and drive train. It tows very nicely and the camper is perfect for us.
Randman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
ENE

The Heritage Glen 272RL & 282Rk have the same exact floor plan as the Open Range LT272RL & LT282RK. The biggest difference is about $10k. I can see some better quality in the Open Range but I still cannot justify the $10k extra over the Heritage Glen.
Does anyone have any input?
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceman View Post
I am looking at a 2015 HG 282RK to purchase. It seems like a perfect trailer for my wife and me. All the numbers I run , this trailers weight looks like a good match for our 2015 Silverado 1500. Any thoughts on this TT or River Forest products? Thanks
We took possession of our 2016 HG 282RK in June and currently on our first trip out with her, driving from Ohio to Maggie Valley, NC. We, pulled her with our 2014 Silverado 1500 (Equalizer hitch). We had no problems at all. We averaged 7-8 mpg on the trip pulling the camper.

We opted out of the outside kitchen, choosing to use the space for additional outside storage instead. Our lounge chairs, patio mat and bins with electrical cord and sewer hookup accessories, as well as other misc. fit nicely there leaving a lot of room in the pass-through storage area in the nose of the trailer for toolbox, leveling blocks and many other necessities.

Inside, the storage is plentiful and adequate. We opted for the dining table and chairs. I was concerned losing the drawers under the dinette, but have found that not to be an issue now. The lower level pantry area is more than adequate for food and/or pots and pans. The corner area houses electrical appliances and above the counter storage is perfect for dishes, etc. I have as much room in this trailer as I did in the motor home we used for 14 years and traded for the truck.

The leather Lazy Boy recliners are very comfortable and solid, as is the sofa. I love the material. The Jensen tv is good quality, however, I do wish they would have wired the tv into the audio system speakers. Seems like it would have been an easy install and made it much nicer. Depending on your likes, you may want to use a sound bar. We don't.

The bathroom linen closet is angular inside, making it a little tricky, but Ive managed to be able to get two sets of sheets, and plenty of towels, etc in the top. We use the bottom portion of the linen closet for extra toiletries as the cabinet above the sink is smaller than we were used to. The shower unit is mediocre. CHECK YOUR INSTALL. The first time we used it, water leaked out from under the shower base. We found the base, wall surround and shower door frame assembly were not plumb and level. There was a huge open gap and it was not caulked at all. We were able to fix that ourselves, but it definitely was not a proper install. The base is also weak when you step in at the drain. The reinforcement under the base is so-so and we will be modifying it when we get home.

We have found the bedroom closets, dresser drawers and storage above the bed to be adequate. And, I bring lots of clothes LOL. The under bed storage is perfect to hold extra blankets, a dehumidifier, a vacuum cleaner and portable heater. The mattress is a short queen and very hard. We added memory foam and a pillow top mattress cover and sleep very comfortably now. If you are tall, you will have issues with the length, but there are mattress extenders available if you need it.

The electric awing is nice, but unless you upgrade, it is not one which automatically rolls in if weather requires it. We have an issue of leakage inside the awing in a couple small places where the piece meets the wall of the trailer. We haven't investigated yet whether it is channel or awing related. We just noticed it yesterday when it rained. Water drips down over the picture window and near the door.

In the motor home, we were used to having one dump site for black and gray water. In this trailer, you have two grey water dumps and one black water dump. The kitchen grey water is separate from the bathroom sink grey water. That makes no sense to us and when the slide is out, you have to get under the slide to pull the kitchen grey water lever. We have modified this by attaching a specific small water hose to the kitchen dump valve and run that into the sewer when it's necessary to empty it.

The only other negative we have is the rocking of the trailer. The stabilizing jacks are not adequate. We know this is a characteristic and are in the process of reviewing and determining what we can do about that. It is particularly annoying when we were used to the that not being an issue with the motor home.

We know, we can not expect the same out of this trailer as we did the Airstream diesel pusher we enjoyed for 14 years. And, this is the very first trailer we have ever had since camping many years ago in the small campers we enjoyed with our families in the 50's and 60's. For the most part, the construction is pretty good overall. Asthetically, its a beautiful trailer. However, there is much more to be aware of. May I suggest you do a very thorough PDI. Check everything! Don't let them hurry you. Check how the blinds are installed (some we have seen are poorly installed making it impossible to open and close properly). Check the ceilings for repairs. We have seen some where patches were done to cove rup boo boos and they looked horrible. ASK FOR MANUALS for everything! Very few were included. There is maintenance for axles, proper instruction for jacks, propane tanks, appliances, air conditioners, etc. It's inconceivable that they aren't included or even links to online manuals not provided. Knowledge is power.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I give the HG 282RK an 8, only because I think the manufacturer could have paid more detail to proper installation and quality control. But, for the money and comfort, overall we are happy with our choice. Sorry this is so long, I was on a roll :-)

2016 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
2015 Chevy Silverado
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650

RoyandCherryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #16

HG 282RK Pro & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyandCherryl View Post

We have an issue of leakage inside the awing in a couple small places where the piece meets the wall of the trailer. We haven't investigated yet whether it is channel or awing related. We just noticed it yesterday when it rained. Water drips down over the picture window and near the door.

I have 2015 282 and if leaks over the picture window also. I found that there is a seam in the aluminum C channel ( that the awning is attached to) where 2 sections are joined together is where the leak was. I had to do a little tweaking to make them line up to each other better then seal the seam.
It seemed to help but it still has a very lite trickle sometimes. Way better than before as it was constantly running down the glass.

Good description of the 282. It sounds like what I have seen so far on ours.

Tim

Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #17
ENE

Excellent review, thx
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlambert View Post
I have 2015 282 and if leaks over the picture window also. I found that there is a seam in the aluminum C channel ( that the awning is attached to) where 2 sections are joined together is where the leak was. I had to do a little tweaking to make them line up to each other better then seal the seam.
It seemed to help but it still has a very lite trickle sometimes. Way better than before as it was constantly running down the glass.

Good description of the 282. It sounds like what I have seen so far on ours.
Tim
Thanks Tim, we kind of suspected that to be the case and first opportunity, we will take a look at that. Again, knowing this may be a point of concern, it makes no sense to me that extra care would not be taken to assure leakage is non existent. I know the channels probably don't come in 35' lengths and that's why two must be joined together. But, making sure they meet and are sealed to reduce leaking, is the extra step of quality control which should be taken. I guess I'm of a different breed and generation to expect that. It's the way it "used to be" and sadly no more.

2016 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
2015 Chevy Silverado
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650

RoyandCherryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #19

No problem and I totally agree.

Tim

Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyandCherryl View Post
We took possession of our 2016 HG 282RK in June and currently on our first trip out with her, driving from Ohio to Maggie Valley, NC. We, pulled her with our 2014 Silverado 1500 (Equalizer hitch). We had no problems at all. We averaged 7-8 mpg on the trip pulling the camper.

We opted out of the outside kitchen, choosing to use the space for additional outside storage instead. Our lounge chairs, patio mat and bins with electrical cord and sewer hookup accessories, as well as other misc. fit nicely there leaving a lot of room in the pass-through storage area in the nose of the trailer for toolbox, leveling blocks and many other necessities.

Inside, the storage is plentiful and adequate. We opted for the dining table and chairs. I was concerned losing the drawers under the dinette, but have found that not to be an issue now. The lower level pantry area is more than adequate for food and/or pots and pans. The corner area houses electrical appliances and above the counter storage is perfect for dishes, etc. I have as much room in this trailer as I did in the motor home we used for 14 years and traded for the truck.

The leather Lazy Boy recliners are very comfortable and solid, as is the sofa. I love the material. The Jensen tv is good quality, however, I do wish they would have wired the tv into the audio system speakers. Seems like it would have been an easy install and made it much nicer. Depending on your likes, you may want to use a sound bar. We don't.

The bathroom linen closet is angular inside, making it a little tricky, but Ive managed to be able to get two sets of sheets, and plenty of towels, etc in the top. We use the bottom portion of the linen closet for extra toiletries as the cabinet above the sink is smaller than we were used to. The shower unit is mediocre. CHECK YOUR INSTALL. The first time we used it, water leaked out from under the shower base. We found the base, wall surround and shower door frame assembly were not plumb and level. There was a huge open gap and it was not caulked at all. We were able to fix that ourselves, but it definitely was not a proper install. The base is also weak when you step in at the drain. The reinforcement under the base is so-so and we will be modifying it when we get home.

We have found the bedroom closets, dresser drawers and storage above the bed to be adequate. And, I bring lots of clothes LOL. The under bed storage is perfect to hold extra blankets, a dehumidifier, a vacuum cleaner and portable heater. The mattress is a short queen and very hard. We added memory foam and a pillow top mattress cover and sleep very comfortably now. If you are tall, you will have issues with the length, but there are mattress extenders available if you need it.

The electric awing is nice, but unless you upgrade, it is not one which automatically rolls in if weather requires it. We have an issue of leakage inside the awing in a couple small places where the piece meets the wall of the trailer. We haven't investigated yet whether it is channel or awing related. We just noticed it yesterday when it rained. Water drips down over the picture window and near the door.

In the motor home, we were used to having one dump site for black and gray water. In this trailer, you have two grey water dumps and one black water dump. The kitchen grey water is separate from the bathroom sink grey water. That makes no sense to us and when the slide is out, you have to get under the slide to pull the kitchen grey water lever. We have modified this by attaching a specific small water hose to the kitchen dump valve and run that into the sewer when it's necessary to empty it.

The only other negative we have is the rocking of the trailer. The stabilizing jacks are not adequate. We know this is a characteristic and are in the process of reviewing and determining what we can do about that. It is particularly annoying when we were used to the that not being an issue with the motor home.

We know, we can not expect the same out of this trailer as we did the Airstream diesel pusher we enjoyed for 14 years. And, this is the very first trailer we have ever had since camping many years ago in the small campers we enjoyed with our families in the 50's and 60's. For the most part, the construction is pretty good overall. Asthetically, its a beautiful trailer. However, there is much more to be aware of. May I suggest you do a very thorough PDI. Check everything! Don't let them hurry you. Check how the blinds are installed (some we have seen are poorly installed making it impossible to open and close properly). Check the ceilings for repairs. We have seen some where patches were done to cove rup boo boos and they looked horrible. ASK FOR MANUALS for everything! Very few were included. There is maintenance for axles, proper instruction for jacks, propane tanks, appliances, air conditioners, etc. It's inconceivable that they aren't included or even links to online manuals not provided. Knowledge is power.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I give the HG 282RK an 8, only because I think the manufacturer could have paid more detail to proper installation and quality control. But, for the money and comfort, overall we are happy with our choice. Sorry this is so long, I was on a roll :-)
RoyandCheryl,

I'm new to forums, so not sure if I've correctly highlighted the applicable quote from your post...

I had the same concern regarding the rocking of the trailer. Last year was our first full season RV'ing, and I found that the rocking became a major irritant. We opted to purchase the SteadyFast system (including scissor jacks in front of the axles). It made a HUGE difference. Virtually no rocking now. I learned that it was very worthwhile to have the right tools (as recommended), read the directions until I truly felt I understood each step, and to lay out all the parts/pieces where you think you're going to install them - because there are obstacles under the coach that will affect placement of the stabilizer bars. I also had to shim one of the scissor jacks to avoid interference with the propane line. Having said that, the installation actually went completely "according to plan"! But for us it was money well-spent, because the shaking is gone.

In the days leading up to my decision on whether this was the right system for us, and again leading up to the install, I had a few e-mail questions for Paul, and he always responded quickly and with thorough answers. I'm just a customer of theirs, but our positive experience with that product has only enhanced our satisfaction with the HG 282RK.
Randman59 is offline   Reply With Quote