Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Hi from NS

Hi there,
My husband and I are real close to deciding to purchase a new travel trailer.

After some searches etc, we have almost decided on a model, but just had a few questions for some experienced people here. We can't decide to go with or without a slide.

One model we have chosen is the 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS, but our hesitation on it is concerns about the slide.
If for whatever reason we can't put the slide out (tree in the way for example) is the bathroom still accessible?
I know space would be more limited, but could we still use the trailer, or would it be too cramped, not able to open door to bathroom and thus rendering the trip a bust?

Thanks in advance
spencyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Depends on floorplan. What dealer are you talking too? I have had zero luck with Bluenose in securing a deal. Always had to go elsewhere despite their close proximity to me. I purchased at Flagstaff 5er at the RV show in Halifax.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Just looking at the floorplan you chose. I don't think you'll have any problems acessing the bathroom with the slide in.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

Most new trailer floor plans are designed to be optimaly functional with the slide open. With the slide closed the interior becomes virtually unlivable. The slide is actually a 4 sided box that slides into the interior. You would have 2 end walls, the top and floor coming in. In your case, the bathroom door may not open fully (maybe not enough to get in and out comfortably). Also, Forest River slides raise up from the floor when they slide in and that front lip should not be walked on when the slide is in because there is no support under it (it's only plywood under the carpet). You would be OK keeping the slide closed if you were on a long trip and pulled into a rest area for a few hours of sleep in the bedroom.

As for obstructions, I'd just make sure to leave about 4 feet or more for the slide to open. Most campgrounds make sure to leave enough room off the edge of their sites to accomodate slides. You can always ask when making reservations, if the site they plan on putting you on will accomodate slides. They usually will ask how long your RV is so, just ask if it will also accomodate slides.

Sorry for the long-in-the-tooth ramble. Hope it helps.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

If the dealer has the trailer in stock have the close the slide to see how much room you have. DW and I almost purchased a trailer last year. It had everytihing we wanted we finally looked at the TT with the slide in and you could not access anything in the kithcen. If we were on the road and wanted to stop for lunch we would have to put the slide out just to have lunch in the TT. If they will not put the slide in for you I would walk away from the deal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #6

Thanks all for the input. Bluenose RV is who we are currently dealing with. We have looked at other dealers, but only online.

All great input for about the slide. We had thought we might need to access the bathroom as well if we were going on a long trip. Never even thought about making lunch. I think we will definately do as one person suggested and go back to the dealer to find out personally how much space is there with the slide all in. Even if it is just to make lunch or a potty stop.

To Rugged Brown: What dealers have you had good luck with?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencyr View Post
Thanks all for the input. Bluenose RV is who we are currently dealing with. We have looked at other dealers, but only online.

All great input for about the slide. We had thought we might need to access the bathroom as well if we were going on a long trip. Never even thought about making lunch. I think we will definately do as one person suggested and go back to the dealer to find out personally how much space is there with the slide all in. Even if it is just to make lunch or a potty stop.

To Rugged Brown: What dealers have you had good luck with?

It the past year, I purchased a pop up from Sackville RV in NB, $1500 cheaper than identical unit at Bluenose, a few months after that I travelled to Ontario to trade the pop up on a hybrid saving over $5k from Bluenose and recently at the RV show, I traded at Adventure Motor Sports in New Glasgow, NS saving over $5000 from Bluenose. When I speak to Bluenose, they don't seem to want to deal. Take it or leave it. That's right, within a year I had 3 new RVs. If I had purchased from Bluenose, I would have spent $11,500 more. This newest one is for the long term. "Yea right" , my DW says.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #8

Ok good to know, my husband had spoken to a couple of others that said the same thing about Bluenose. Going to try a couple other places then, that's for sure.

Thanks for help
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #9

Welcome to the forums and good luck making your decision!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Welcome to the forums and good luck making your decision!
X2
Brent
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
brentnrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find a unit that fits your requirements. In our V-Lite we can walk right into the bathroom and close the door, access the pantry, stove, fridge etc. Getting from the bathroom into the bedroom is another story as the bedroom slide partially covers the bedroom door, we can however get in the bedroom from it's seperate entrance. I have seen smaller units that have most of the access we have as well. Just go through the floorplans carefully on FR's site. The other thing is and it has been mentioned above is any time we have booked a campsite ,they generally ask if you have slides and how long. If they don't I bring it up.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Master of the obvious

Welcome, we have the 09 26TBSS and love it! I however can not get into the bathroom with the slide closed. That being said we often stop in rest areas for lunch and bathroom breaks and just slide it out enough to use the bathroom. As far as camping an entire night with the slide closed.... I don't think i would choose a campsite where i cant use my equipment.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
2018 Kia Optima Toad
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #13

I own a 2011 26TBSS Wildwood. With the slide in, the bathroom door will not open. You cant get to the thermostat either. The kitchen and fridge are accessible. Hope this is what you were looking for!

Bill
threemusketeers is offline   Reply With Quote