Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Hitch question

Hello everyone! This is my first post.

Picking up my 2012 Wildwood 26 BH on 7/30/11. My family and I are very, very excited. This is our first travel trailer.

The question I have is, would just a regular hitch (receiver bar and ball) work for now? We will not be going far this year - we have 5 state parks within 70 miles, the closest being only 13 miles. I don't want to invest in the equalizer hitch right now if it would be overkill. I live in Kansas, so no big hills to speak of.

Thanks, JK
Blackhawk.KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk.KC View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post.

Picking up my 2012 Wildwood 26 BH on 7/30/11. My family and I are very, very excited. This is our first travel trailer.

The question I have is, would just a regular hitch (receiver bar and ball) work for now? We will not be going far this year - we have 5 state parks within 70 miles, the closest being only 13 miles. I don't want to invest in the equalizer hitch right now if it would be overkill. I live in Kansas, so no big hills to speak of.

Thanks, JK
What is your TV (tow vehicle). The only way I would go on a road that others use without a WDH would be with a 1 ton dually.

For the safety of your family and others on the roads, please consider the purchase of a WDH and/ with sway control. It's well worth it, trust me.

The hitch isn't needed for hills. The WDH distributes the weight over the truck axles and the TT axles. This keeps the proper amount of weight where needed for turning and breaking when properly adjusted. The sway control helps keep the trailer behind the TV. Without, a pickup passing you can push/ pull you all over the road. If you catch the edge of the road, correcting and getting the trailer safely back on the road will scare the hell out of you at best.

IMO, you shouldn't even leave the lot without a proper WDH. My original hitch, I had included in the purchase price, so it is in the financing or down payment, depends on how you look at it.

Good luck, be safe and !
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

Thanks kbrown! I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7 V8 with the factory towing package. I really appreciate your advice.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

I agree with Kbrown. When you pickup the trailer, you'll see the back of your truck squat pretty good. And remember, it will be as light as it gets coming home from the dealer. Also you NEED sway control. One good side wind or fast tractor trailer can get you moving all over the road. Not a fun feeling!
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

You just invested $<insert$$$$> on a new brand new TT that you and the family are "very, very excited about". No better way to crush that excitment than to have bad towing experiences, or worse yet, an accident. I hate to be the party-pooper, but do the right thing for your TT's and your family's safety, and get the Equilizer or Reese WD w/ Dual Cam sway control.

BELIEVE ME, there is nothing worse than a white knuckle "death-ride" with a tow vehicle pulling a TT that the dealer said would be "just fine", without the right hitch! Been there, done that, and I sweat-soaked the tee-shirt doing it!

Enjoy your new TT and your camping!!!!

ON EDIT - BTW - If the dealer price for the hitch is unreasonable, then checkout the prices for the hitch on-line and install it yourself. It's not difficult, and there are plenty of on-line videos and other instructions, not to mention the entire "team" here on the forums that will help walk you through the process.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, JK
are you telling me that the dealer is letting you take it, without a WDH and sway control?

IMHO, that's a dealer that doesn't have you and your family's safety, in mind and should be named here, so others can avoid them.

no way should a 1/2 ton TV be leaving a dealership with a nearly 30' trailer and no WDH.
to say a WDH is "overkill" with a 30' trailer, means you need to educate yourself about them.

you need to post the price and brand of WDH the dealer has because you can get a real Equal-i-zer from RVW, for around $430 with free shipping.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #7

X2...X3...X4 to all the above notes.

Keep yourself, your family and all of the rest of us out here safe with a good WDH.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #8

The hitch is not just to lift the rear of the rear of the tow vehicle, it is also to prevent sway. The first time you hace a semi pass you it will become clear why it is a good thing to have! I believe it is unanimous - go for the hitch now.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your spirited, passionate replies. I am looking at ordering an Equal-i-zer 90-00-1000. Do you think I need a trailer brake controller or is that overkill? JUST KIDDING!!! I'm installing a Tekonsha P3 sometime this week. Thanks, JK
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Wel it can be pretty windy in Kansas, you should have sway control for safety. I agree with the others 100%

YES you will need a brake controller, get a prodigy P2 or P3 they work great, P2 would be fine for your situation. you are about to have 7000lbs pushing on your bumper.

Get the eqaulizer 4WAY WDH, 10K LB you wont be sorry!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Dan, I have a P3 I'm installing this week. I was just making a joke about not using a brake controller. Thanks for the input on the hitch recommendation. I hope that's what I'm looking at... Equal-i-zer Hitch 1000/10000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Dan, I have a P3 I'm installing this week. I was just making a joke about not using a brake controller. Thanks for the input on the hitch recommendation. I hope that's what I'm looking at... Equal-i-zer Hitch 1000/10000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
now I get it. Sorry bout that! and Yes that is the right hitch. Have a great time with your new TT
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

I have the 2010 version of that trailer. It's been good to us. I have the Reese WDH and sway control. I like it. Best of luck.
Bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #14

Hitch

It's windy here in Kansas, always, so get the hitch and be safe and enjoy the RV experience,
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote