Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
And taping to off position only causes confusion for the buyer (me). Thanks again
Some are actually PINNED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	62964  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #22

Thanks for the clarification.

We have been using hot water via LP and not electric so this is why I assumed it would be full. I see the point made though, especially after the unit has been winterized, to make sure the WH is not being bypassed. Thanks you.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #23

Listen to Herk7769. I never shut my electric element off. Worked perfectly all the time. Leave the LP on as it recovers the tank faster. I only shut the switch off while servicing the tank (changing the anode) and about every two-three months off then on to keep the switch from seizing through lac of use.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
NO, if the wh bypass is turned to the winterize position, the tank will NOT be full. The ONLY way to insure the wh tank is full is to open the pressure relief valve is open and water is coming out of it.
If your getting hot water at the sink, your by-pass is not closed.....Simple.... otherwise the water would be cold at the sink.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If your getting hot water at the sink, your by-pass is not closed.....Simple.... otherwise the water would be cold at the sink.

Still doesn't guarantee the tank's got no air. Besides, the pressure relief is like 7 or so inches from the switch when you're outside. It's not like it's a chore to hit one before the other.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Huh ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
While true, by the time you figured out the water will never get warm the damage to your element will be long done using this method.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
While true, by the time you figured out the water will never get warm the damage to your element will be long done using this method.
Doc,(Sunseeker) was using it on LP already. That valve you keep talking about is a safety valve and shouldn't be used in that manner. It will weaken the valve itself and start dripping then you will need to replace that. You get all the air out of your water heater by just leaving each facet run until there is no air coming out but a stream of water. Any plumber will tell you that. The same thing when you dewinterize either use city water after you turn the valves correct or the water pump(which will take longer). When your hot side quits spitting at you your tank is full. Then you can turn on either the LP or Electrical side. I also don't think it's to wise to turn on your LP until the tank is full.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #29

I'm thinking of putting a switch inside the trailer to turn the electric on for the WH..... I've got the switch on my set-up and take-down list.

I normally turn the switch on after we're set-up and I'm getting warm water in the bathroom sink; this allows me to make sure the WH is full of water..... at the campground there is no electric bill and using both helps warm the water faster and saves on LP......

I'll add some pic's of my mod after I move the switch to the inside of my trailer, right beside my control panel.
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfskinner View Post
I'm thinking of putting a switch inside the trailer to turn the electric on for the WH..... I've got the switch on my set-up and take-down list.

I normally turn the switch on after we're set-up and I'm getting warm water in the bathroom sink; this allows me to make sure the WH is full of water..... at the campground there is no electric bill and using both helps warm the water faster and saves on LP......

I'll add some pic's of my mod after I move the switch to the inside of my trailer, right beside my control panel.
That's a good idea, Sabers come with that already, How much can it cost FR for a switch maybe 3.00 bucks. There has been a few members who have done that already. I'm just to lazy to fish a wire to the panel.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater