Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Hot water heater

Alright call me dumb but I had a question.

My dad just purchased a new xlr and during his PdI the tech told him his hot water heater is electric and gas. I believe he has the same heater as I do in the wildwood. Do all the water heaters run off electric and gas?
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Yes most water heaters run off both.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Is there a switch for this? My tech never mentioned this during my PdI
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekipkers View Post
Alright call me dumb but I had a question.

My dad just purchased a new xlr and during his PdI the tech told him his hot water heater is electric and gas. I believe he has the same heater as I do in the wildwood. Do all the water heaters run off electric and gas?
Not all, but Higher end units (maybe just newer ones) do (low end units run off of gas only)
BTW, the electric side of the house heats slower than the gas
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekipkers View Post
Is there a switch for this? My tech never mentioned this during my PdI

You should have a switch outside on the unit itself. That is the electric switch. There should be a panel somewhere inside you RV for the gas mode. I used to have both a Wildcat & Sierra 5vers that's how they were both rigged. I am not familiar with your RV, but is should be the same.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

And why they decided to put the switch behind everything is mind blowing.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Great,

Thanks for the replies and pictures I'll have to check it out.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Switch location, water heater.

I am only giving an opinion here, but I think the switch is located where it is, so it is hard to reach, on purpose. Same reason there is a safety shut off pin in the rocker (if your isn't tossed out) switch (see the little hole?). This prevents accidentally switching on, and having an electric element on, without water in the tank. If you haven't yet filled the tank, or opened the bypass this could be catastrophic for the element.
Once filled, of course it is only running up your electric bill (it only runs on 120, not 12 volt), so I shut it off for the night, and after morning ablutions. Means running outside but it's worth it, to me.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I am only giving an opinion here, but I think the switch is located where it is, so it is hard to reach, on purpose. Same reason there is a safety shut off pin in the rocker (if your isn't tossed out) switch (see the little hole?). This prevents accidentally switching on, and having an electric element on, without water in the tank. If you haven't yet filled the tank, or opened the bypass this could be catastrophic for the element.
Once filled, of course it is only running up your electric bill (it only runs on 120, not 12 volt), so I shut it off for the night, and after morning ablutions. Means running outside but it's worth it, to me.
Those heaters are pretty well insulated and should hold the heat. If your that worried about running up your bill, why don't you wire a switch inside so you don't need to do all that running around in the morning to get hot water, or just use the propane side they really do hold temp quite well. Just a suggestion to you to make things easier on yourself.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Those heaters are pretty well insulated and should hold the heat. If your that worried about running up your bill, why don't you wire a switch inside so you don't need to do all that running around in the morning to get hot water, or just use the propane side they really do hold temp quite well. Just a suggestion to you to make things easier on yourself.
Such as
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403694846492.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	56289  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You guys all missed one important question, on I can think of especially since my BIL's is a wildwood:

Do you have a hot water tank or on-demand hot water?

My BIL's wildwood is on-demand, and it only heats on gas.

My Flagstaff is a hot water tank and can heat using both gas or electric.

We occasionally debate the pros and cons of each. I can save my propane and heat using the cg's electric, but he's ensured to never runout of hot water (unless he runs out of propane.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #13

Well I picked the TT up from storage Monday to get it ready for this weekend and checked the WH, it is on demand only..... Thanks for the information

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You guys all missed one important question, on I can think of especially since my BIL's is a wildwood:

Do you have a hot water tank or on-demand hot water?

My BIL's wildwood is on-demand, and it only heats on gas.

My Flagstaff is a hot water tank and can heat using both gas or electric.

We occasionally debate the pros and cons of each. I can save my propane and heat using the cg's electric, but he's ensured to never runout of hot water (unless he runs out of propane.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

DOHHHH, well that would have been nice to know from the get go of this thread.......lol. There's times we are geniuses other times we some dummies.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
DOHHHH, well that would have been nice to know from the get go of this thread.......lol. There's times we are geniuses other times we some dummies.
2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Tell me about it...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #16

This was a very helpful thread.

When we picked up our Sunseeker 2300, the guy showed us that the electric switch outside was taped to the off position. He blew past it saying "just leave this off and use LP". We were overwhelmed with everything else so I didn't think much of it. Now, we would like to use electric when connected to shore power and save my LP whenever it makes sense. Not sure why he would of said this unless he fears people burning up the elements. (?)

If we want to use electric for the water heater, should I turn the water pump on and then go outside and switch to electric to avoid burning up the element? I imagine turning it off immediately after we no longer need it is the safe thing to do?

Thanks, still learning.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #17

You don't have to use the pump to use the electric water heater. It will work with city water or the pump. You need to run enough water through your hot water to be sure the water heater tank is full of water, not air.

While it may not be 100% proper, I use my breaker inside to turn the water heater on and off. Rarely touch the switch outside except if the trailer is going to the dealer. Then I turn it off.

No reason to be turning it on and off. That's not the design of the system. It is very well insulated.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Thanks...

So simply running the hot side of the sink ensures the hot water tank is full, and at no risk? Awesome. Unplugging from shore power at the CG causes the electric side to not engage. Therefore no need to turn off outside.

Odd, the hesitation from dealers to explain (or my dealer). And taping to off position only causes confusion for the buyer (me).

Thanks again
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
...So simply running the hot side of the sink ensures the hot water tank is full, and at no risk? Awesome....
NO, if the wh bypass is turned to the winterize position, the tank will NOT be full. The ONLY way to insure the wh tank is full is to open the pressure relief valve is open and water is coming out of it.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
So simply running the hot side of the sink ensures the hot water tank is full, and at no risk?
NO!

If the valves are in winter bypass the tank can still be empty and you will get water out of the hot water tap!

ALWAYS check by opening the pressure relief valve momentarily. WATER and not air should come out. Stand back because that water may be hot if you have been running on propane.

You can leave the AC switch on (once you have water in it) because the AC thermostat will turn the element on and off as needed to maintain temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120905_195213.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	62963  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater