Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Thumbs up I was enjoying an afternoon nap when....

While sond asleep (at home base in my recliner) the sky opened up with a big clap of thunder. My two dogs Lulu and Tiki always nap with me so when the thunder let loose Tiki started barking which woke me up , I saw it was pouring down rain and believe it or not my first thought was this forum and the horror stories about leaks in the TT's. I keep my TT next to the house in the side yard so out I went to check for leaks, around the super slide no leaks I was feeling good. Went to the triple bunk beds and sure enough drip, drip, drip along the top of the Storage Plus Door.

About ten minutes later the rain stopped and I got a closer look the leak was coming in around the frame of the Storage Plus Door between the frame and the coregated aluminum siding, it had some make a gasket type material with a small bead of silicone along the groove. The silicone had shrunken when it dried leaving a fully exposed gap all along the seal area above the door frame.

I jumped in the pickup and off to the hardware store for some silicone, came back and dug all the old out and refilled the groove it took a good 6 oz out of the 10.5 oz tube to fill it time for a tall cool one, and now waiting for more rain to see how well I did.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

If it's raining I can't fix the leak, if it's not raining it don't leak so it's not a problem....
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If it's raining I can't fix the leak, if it's not raining it don't leak so it's not a problem....
Absolutely true - It rained more through the night my fix worked no water inside this morning.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Good job! Water leaks can be the most annoying, destructive and elusive of all problems. I had one at the base of my shower surround that took me weeks of trial and error to finally locate and seal the bugger.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Rather than using silicone, you REALLY want to use an ELASTOMERIC product to fix any leaks or fill in any gaps. With changes in temperature and with the vehicle in motion, silicone will expand but will not contract. Elastomeric expands AND contracts.

I'm a 45 year old surfer chick who's been full-timing since learning to surf at 29. My first rig was a '76 Dodge Brougham that I lived in for ten years. My Dodge was a great learning experience, and because of it, I've become quite the DIY'r. My favorite labor of love has always been roof maintenance. I'd hop up on my roof at the beach in my bikini top & board shorts, with a gallon of elastomeric roof coat, and enjoy the view while working on the ValHaus & my tan at the same time. (And saving $600 by doing it myself wasn't too bad, either!)

After the Dodge, I upgraded to a 1981 Lazy Daze, which was totaled in a hit & run accident that broke my back. If it were ANY othe C class, my dogs would've been killed. My LD took a hit for the team, and STILL got me to Vegas. I've been in an '87 Lazy Daze for three years now, and once my permanent disability kicks in, I'll be upgrading to a fiver to accommodate my boyfriend, who's 6'4. I have 15 year's experience in full-timing, and have been researching 5th wheels for a year. I'm enjoying this forum, and look forward to learning about towing!
ValHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #6

ValHaus, Thanks for the post and suggestion, actually I am planning to take the silicone out and do something better with the fix so thanks for the suggestion.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum from mid California. There are a lot of good people with plenty of experience and advice is always forth coming if you have a need so I think you will enjoy this forum.

Glad to hear your dogs got through unharmed and hope your back improves (or should I say continues to improve), I know it can take time with back injuries.

Dogs are of course a big item on this forum lot's of people call them their 'fur babies'.

ENJOY!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 AM   #7

Dogs

Hey Batts-toy!

I'm looking forward to your repair, & am hoping you'll post some pics!

Val
ValHaus is offline   Reply With Quote