Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

I'm about to buy a Wildwood?

Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum and posted this in the general area. Someone suggested posting here. I like this sub-forum and will probably frequent it quite a bit.

I've had a little Fleetwood Mallard for a few years and it's been bullet proof. It's time for a bigger unit. I really like aluminum siding and the price point on the Willdwood 26TBSS. This is a 29 ft aluminum sided, super slide with three bunks in the rear. Has the U shaped dinette too. Out here in CA its about $17,999 compared to the Passport 2650 at $26000 (we were set on getting due to less weight). Of course the Passport salesman says the Wildwoods are junk compared to the Passport but you know how that goes. We live where it is warm and stay very local 95% of the time, point being I don't care about super insulation heated tanks insulated underbelly etc.

For those who have a Wildwood, how has it held up? How many pounds will the bunks hold. The Passport has a 300 lb sticker but the Wildwood doesn't have a sticker by the bunk on the model I looked at.

My other concern is why such a low sticker price on such a nice model. I know I'm only 30 minutes from where they are manufactured and it is the so called, "dated aluminum sided style", but structurally is it pretty sound? I'm a tinkerer and have overhauled just about everything in my current trailer, plumbing, roof seams, fridg, busted step welds etc. The little issues that all travel trailers have don't get me down one bit, just don't want to deal with anything major like the box separating from the frame or something . Most of what I read has been positive. Also I'll take the extra 900 lbs to have the Aluminum Siding I have so grown to love. Thanks again for all the replies, Mike
Aluminum Siding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, it seems that the number of aluminum-sided campers being produced shrinks every year. That may be a factor when it's time to sell such a camper a few years down the road.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Explorer

I have only had my ‘11 Wildwood T26BHXL since April and love it but I am a fix-it guy. I love my camper’s layout, price and I think it has good bones. I have done a lot of mods to the camper and most have been posted; my last mod, not posted yet, was moving the spare tire to under the camper(I like to carry bikes and sometimes a carrier off the back, plus where I store it in my yard I need/like the extra 8inches). I have several more mods to do like: 2 Fantastic fans and covers(change out bathroom and new install in front area).
My last camper was a Fleetwood too, like you, only a Terry 22’ the new one weighs the same-ish, but you can see the difference in many parts of the new construction(plastic sink, plastic potty changed out, all wood I can see is thinner). I have put over 8000ml and 90+ days in my rig and my family and I love it; construction seems very adequate.
I didn’t want to pay the price of buying off a dealer’s lot, but we did go look just to see the options and layouts available. So I watched for used ones and waited for the right deal, I did my homework online aswell as going to local RV service centers to find any issues with manufactures and models. It all fell together with our Wildwood and we’ve been happy.
Good luck, have fun, use it often
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Another rat in the race

Young if you don't mind me asking how did you mount your spare. I have the same model and year. I have been thinking of doing this.

Sorry for that highjack

I have done many mods to mine but nothing more than creature comforts. The build quality may not be house type construction but it is very good for the 60ish days a year we spend in it.

The bunks are sturdy there is not weight limit stated but many full grown adults have slept in them with no problems.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

Congratulations "Aluminum Siding." I purchased a 2013 Widwood 281XL in October and I'm expecting delivery in about 2-weeks from today. These are made locally (in So. California) so yes, it does save on the destination / shipping charges. I too searched high and low for a quality product at a good price. The Wildwood XL seems to fit my requirements. It won't be the best in the business, but we won't be living in it full time either. I anticipate using it about 60 days a year. You really get a lot from the Forest River people and I'm glad I'm helping to fuel the local economy.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #6

Well after a few delays, Forest River finally has my Wildwood Xlite completed and delivered to the dealership. I have an appointment tomorrow at 10 AM to inspect it, pay the balance and tow it home. Needless to say, I'll be doing the inspection first. I learned a long time ago not to pay for an RV before the inspection / orientation. It's amazing how fast they can get broken items fixed if they're waiting on a check. lol. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #7

Well, I have the trailer, although it took most of the day. The walk-thru exposed a couple of issues. The remote control for the slide-out was not working; although it works great for the elect. awning, the porch light and the stabilizer jacks. They also forgot to put the outside cable connector for the satellite. I will return it later for those items, along with anymore items in need of repair. The dealership had promised me a Prodigy brake controller for my tow vehicle when we made the deal. When I arrived, the did not have any Prodigys in stock. They gave me a lesser brand until they get more in and a written agreement to exchange it at no cost. So, a couple of minor glitches but all-n-all, I am very happy with my purchase and McMahon's RV in Colton, California.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hales View Post
all-n-all, I am very happy with my purchase and McMahon's RV in Colton, California.
I'm glad to hear it. I was treated very rudely at the Colton McMahon's service center (I bought it at the Irvine McMahon's before they moved) and I ended up fixing my own warranty work (parts came from Forest River with a big apology for the dealer) The service manager was very rude and the items I had to have fixed were cosmetic to minor including falling off trim, leaking hot water heater connections, screws for door trim stripped out and a leaking compartment. They had it for over 2 weeks and never could find anything wrong, and said that the manufacturer didn't have that trim or fabric wrapped buttons anymore. There was water on the floor in the trailer (near hot water heater & compartment door) when I picked it up, greasy hand prints all over the trailer inside and out, they left the windows all open (they were closed when I brought it) in Santa Anna winds, and the caulking in the shower area was still missing.

I needed the trailer for a family outing and they had promised it would be done for said outing, that's why they had it for 2+ weeks a head of time. So on the way to the outing I stopped at Forest Rivers facility in Rialto/Colton and talked to them about a different service place and the parts that were "discontinued", the people sent someone out to caulk the shower tighten the hot water heater connections and look at the other problems while I was talking. Then they handed me the parts they had, and said that the other parts would be sent to my house before I got home.

I took care of it my self because it was easier than dragging the trailer to Yet another service department.