Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

I'm new to my old tt - 1998 wildwood 24fb

So I just bought an old 1998 wildwood 24fb and everything seems to work. Can someone give me a run down on things to check? Or preventative Maintanance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

I'm new to my old tt - 1998 wildwood 24fb

Hopefully it was winterized so before camping you will need to flush the system. If you have not done it yet test your appliances and equipment. Any slides, refrigerator works on both gas and electric. Water heater works( make sure full before you turn on and light. You may need to open hot water bypass valves after flushing system so your water heater will fill. Since used get ladder and check roof. Check around Windows doors openings. Same as buying house or used car just go through it getting acquainted with your TT. Good luck and happy camping. Camp in your driveway for day or two.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Good tips, this weekend I plan to drain the winterizing solution out and run water and then fire up the hot water heater, kinda intimidating since I've never done this on a trailer, lol

Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Team

In the FAQ section of the forum, you will find Winterizing and dewinterizing procedures.

Link to Dewinterizing.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ze-101446.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Team

With a trailer that old I'd make sure to go over all the seams very carefully and check for any cracks. Especially on the roof. Get some Dicor self-leveling lap sealant and a roll of Eternabond tape.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
With a trailer that old I'd make sure to go over all the seams very carefully and check for any cracks. Especially on the roof. Get some Dicor self-leveling lap sealant and a roll of Eternabond tape.

Thanks for the advice and I did hit the roof with that caulk but the tape is what I need next, I believe the tape is for seams ? Correct ?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Thanks for the advice and I did hit the roof with that caulk but the tape is what I need next, I believe the tape is for seams ? Correct ?

On my old trailer I use eternal bond on any place I wanted to keep water out of. Put it under the drip edge and side of roof that was cracked. That tape is great stuff.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Check the tires for date manufactured.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

I would be checking tires, brakes and bearings. Check for structural defects (soft floors\ water damage). Then I would more on to the other systems plumbing, electrical, HVAC. Inspect hitch for cracks or fatigue. Then worry about caulking and seals. It an older unit that you may or may not know how it was maintained. So I would treated as if I had no idea how it was maintained. Then I could sleep well pulling 1000 miles from home to spend time relaxing not fixing.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
MCTroy

Congrats on your new to you trailer. Sounds like a good start. As you clean you will get a good idea of how it was maintained. All the folks have really good advise here. I say if the tires are good, the frig is cold and the radio works, you are in good shape!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

Thank for all the great advice , the tires are from 07 , the Ac works, the stove works, the heat works, I have 2 ceiling lights that don't work yet the other 6 works ( kinda strange) the bulbs are good and fuses appear to be good. I have not tested the plumbing at all. The electric brakes worked when we hailed to my place , the bearings I'm not sure about , do I just look for dirty grease? I changed the bearings out on a pop up so am a bit familiar I suppose. The corner mold on the outside needs to be pushed back on and nailed or screwed . All in all seems decent but I feel a bit uncertain. That's a lot of info but I guess we can start with it , lol

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

I would pull the wheel and hub do visual inspection on brakes pull bearings; clean inspect repack with grease reinstall. But I'm anal like that. My brother will drive it until the wheels fall off then fix it. He thinks I'm crazy. But I would rather fix things at home versus the side of the highway.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water that your fresh water tank will hold.

Let the solution sit over night in the tank.

Using the water pump run the mix thru every faucet the unit has for a few gallons each, outside shower?

Be sure to run some out the low point drains.

After the tank is empty refill and drain till you can no longer smell bleach.

Check the water pump bowl screen and faucet aerators for debris.

Remove the water heater anode rod, flush the tank out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...58484932918096
Old 03-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Good tips, this weekend I plan to drain the winterizing solution out and run water and then fire up the hot water heater, kinda intimidating since I've never done this on a trailer, lol
Replace your "hot" water heater with one that heats cold water.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #15

Good tips, with work and this Weather I have not had a lot of time but I did a couple of things today. I drained the plumbing and cleaned the aluminum siding and I'm glad to say that there is hope. I used CLR and a hard brush with a handle. I also need to find covers to 2 lights , where the heck will I be able to find light covers for a 1998? I'm gonna try the RV store nearby tonmorrow. So now that I got that winterizing solution out , do I just fill the pooper with water and bleach and fill the sink as well? Also, what if I hit the siding with a power washer? Is that safe ? Also, I notice that some of my window seals are cracked off , dry rot looks like , where can I get that permanent rubber window seal?

Tags
wildwood