Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Insurance

Can anyone recommend a really good TT insurance company? We don't have a clue as to how much it would cost in Michigan to insure our 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS during the spring-fall months and we are wondering what people's experiences have been with TT insurance companies-if you have a claim, do they stand by their company or do most TT insurers' leave you out in the cold??
journeywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We added comprehensive and collision to our Erie policy. The liability is covered under the tow vehicle.

We have ours insured for all year. What if a tree or branch falls on your trailer during the winter ??

I have a friend down the street that has a MH, and wind damaged his awning. Progressive paid for it minus the deductible.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Camper insurance is very inexpensive; just don't say you camp more than 90 days per year. Rates go way up if you camp more often and they may not cover you at all if you full time.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #4

We have our travel trailer on our auto policy with Nationwide. Three years ago our travel trailer was "rear ended" by a driver that was on probation and had no auto insurance. Our travel trailer was "totalled" and Nationwide paid the claim...no cost to us.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

We have Progressive RV insurance on our Flagstaff 26RLS. The renewal sits in front of me and is $411. That is replacement coverage, liability, comprehension, collision, Fire Dept services, Emergency expenses, Vacation Liability, personal belongings, and roadside assistance.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info! we plan on putting in storage for the winter months. we do currently have Progressive for auto insurance, so I will start with them for quote.
journeywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #7

I have Progressive for autos, ATV, RV, and boat (when I had a boat). I have been most pleased with them over other insurance companies I had in the past.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tt insurance

National Interstate Ins CO, American Security, Geico and as far as liability Ins. If your TT catches fire and spreads to next door or if some is visiting you in your TT and falls out the door, I don't think your truck liability will pay.

Better be safe than sorry later for not having Liability.

I just got a quote for Geico for a 5VER at 30K, the quote was $259.60 every six months. American Security Ins was $479.00 per year, both were with liability ins. Both quotes was for direct replacement for five years.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

The Tow Vehicle's COLLISION (in no fault states) and COMPREHENSIVE parts of your insurance cover your camper when it is hooked up.

Make SURE you have enough coverage to handle both vehicles. Dropping "comprehensive" to save a few bucks on your older truck could be a huge problem if your camper catches fire while driving down the highway.

No, I do not sell car insurance. I just play one on the internet.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
If your TT catches fire and spreads to next door or if some is visiting you in your TT and falls out the door, I don't think your truck liability will pay.
Hmmm......I hadn't thought about that. The liability coverage on my truck covers the camper as I am going down the highway, but I didn'tthink about something happening while parked that could cause a lawsuit. I will look into that.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The liability coverage on my truck covers the camper as I am going down the highway, but I didn't think about something happening while parked that could cause a lawsuit. I will look into that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Chap! Oh no! That is SO not true! Tow Vehicle Liability Insurance is for injury or death compensation to WHO YOU HIT and/or damage caused BY YOU to someone else!
NOT to compensate YOU!

Tow Vehicle Collision covers your camper ONLY when you are connected and:

You back into a pole or tree.
You hit an overhang at a campground.
Someone rear ends you and THEY have no insurance.
You have a tire blowout that damages your camper.

Tow Vehicle Comprehensive covers your camper ONLY when you are connected and:

Your whole rig is stolen when you stop for dinner.
Your camper catches fire while you are cooking a pizza in the oven (as has been suggested here) while driving to the next campground.
A deer jumps through the Atrium window in your slide going down the highway.
Someone breaks into the camper when you are hooked up at a rest stop and stuff is stolen from the camper; you are limited to what your TOW VEHICLE coverage would have paid you. (This is almost never very much unless it is permanently attached - like a radio or CB).

If you are camped and:
Someone hooks up to your rig while you are at the museum and drives away with it... NADA
If you are camped and the stove catches fire and your rig burns to the frame... NADA
If you are camped and someone falls off your steps... NADA
If your rig is broken into while you are away and you are robbed... NADA
A TREE falls on your rig while camped... NADA
A hail storm damages your camper's roof in storage or camped... NADA
An overloaded stabilizer fails, and the whipping stress bends the frame... NADA
Your camper's Liability Insurance line item would cover "The fire spreading to a neighbor's camper"; otherwise... NADA

THAT is why your camper needs its own insurance.
USAA charges us 128.00 every 6 months for that ALL that coverage (Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive) and 6 bucks of it includes camper towing to repair facility, tire changing, and any other roadside service.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Lou, I will check with my insurance agent. I thought I understood him to say that if a limb falls on my camper, it would be covered whether I am parked in my driveway or at a campground.

I understand that liability covers damage or injury to others. If my camper comes unhooded from my truck and goes through a fence, the the liability would cover the fence that was destroyed, and collision would fix my camper.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I understand that liability covers damage or injury to others. If my camper comes unhooked from my truck and goes through a fence, the the liability would cover the fence that was destroyed, and collision would fix my camper.
Yes, that part is correct; Since the camper was "placed in motion while attached to the truck" your Truck's Collision would pay for the camper and your truck's Liability would pay for the fence.

Liability for Injury and Liability for Damages are treated as seperate line items. If you have 25,000 in Damage Liability and hit a Porsche (or a Class A) you might be in for a shock. Injury Liability insurance DOES NOT cover damage to "stuff;" just people. You might be interested to know that ONE case of "Closed Head Injury" typically settles in court (if it gets there) in the $500,000 dollar range.

As to: "I thought I understood him to say that if a limb falls on my camper, it would be covered whether I am parked in my driveway or at a campground" that is not true UNLESS you have added your camper to your automobile policy and have collision and comprehensive on the camper as seperate lines of insurance (like a 2nd car would have).
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The Tow Vehicle's COLLISION (in no fault states) and COMPREHENSIVE parts of your insurance cover your camper when it is hooked up.

Make SURE you have enough coverage to handle both vehicles. Dropping "comprehensive" to save a few bucks on your older truck could be a huge problem if your camper catches fire while driving down the highway.

No, I do not sell car insurance. I just play one on the internet.
I would re-verify the TV insurance covers the tow. Back several years ago, I was returning home with my 19 ft center console boat (just put a new motor on 6 mo prior). I was rear ended when a car cut me off and made a right turn into a gas station. I stopped in plenty of time, but the pizza delivery lady behind (who was admitably drunk), slammed into the back of my boat. Surprisingly, my boat didn't look to bad. As soon as we ensured every one was alright and notified the police, I called my auto insurance company. I told them what happened. They said that my tow was not covered by my auto insurance, I would have to contact my boat insurance carrier. I attempted to resolve the issue with the other driver's insurance company but they wouldn't even talk to me. I contacted my boat insurance carrier and they told me to get my boat fixed ASAP and they would handle the other insurance company. Final tally was everything from the power head down was replaced and warranted for the length of time I owned the boat. I now have all insurance (exception of homeowners) with one company, but the TT is covered on it's own, Collision and Comprehensive. Maybe it's different company to company, but I always make sure I am completely covered (even my ATV 4 wheeler has full coverage)! Call me crazy.

Just my 25 cents (5 cents doesn't get ya' anywhere anymore).
Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Nobody wants to pay if they can duck it or pawn it off on somebody else.
Insurance is no exception. Having ALL your coverages with the same company makes sense from many different perspectives. Having Home, Auto, and RV insurance with the same company has a huge discount.

I am sure your problem had to do with your car company trying to pawn off paying to your boat insurance company.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

I'm in Michigan and we just bought our new TT and I have Citizens Insurance on it $111 ever 6 months
Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

That is a very good price!

Just remember since Collision, Comprehensive and Liability coverage are included in the quote, it not possible to compare value by price alone.

It would totally depend on amount of Liability insurance ($100,000, $300,000 or $500,000), whether roadside assistance is included, and the value of your camper.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

Insurance in Michigan

Just received my insurance quote today and its $106 for the "entire" year! We just purchased a 2011 Wildwood LE 26TBSS from General RV. Insurance is thru Michigan Insurance Company, just go to their website: Michigan Insurance Company and locate an agent/insurance office near you...good luck!
Detgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #19

I think I may have learned something new here and am glad you guys are all over it too

I also have my insurance thru the same company - Tow vehicle and TT - 21st century - I pay $147 every 6 months for TT - I have comprehensive and collision $500 deductable but do not see a line item for liability under any specific vehicle - does that mean as long as I have comprehensive and collision they are covered under the liability part of the policy as well?
Just trying to understand a little better - cause if that is the case then I need to up my limits cause I am at $50,000 / $100,000 which is probably way low considering that one accident could wipe me out
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #20

I also live in MI but I am being droped as of policy renewal in Aug due to the fact great lakes ins. will no longer cover TT. So when you find a good company let me know.
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood