Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Is this a plug or valve or what?

Well I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure out this Dometic DM2652RBX refrigerator. I've established beyond a shadow of a doubt that the problem is not the control board (replaced a perfectly good unit), and it's not the heating element (same deal, the new one works perfectly), and it certainly does not have an ammonia leak. So the last possible explanation is a clogged ammonia system. I read through some old posts that recommended you can either turn the refrigerator upside down to "burp" the system or try "tapping" on the pipes. Well......I just beat the crap out of the pipes with a pair of pliers, turned on the gas, and put it to bed. I felt like that Russian on the movie Armageddon when he throws that lady aside and beats on the pipes of that space shuttle. Lol. It will either be at least partly cool in the morning, or I will drop almost $700 on a new cooling unit. Ugh!!! So here's my question. What is this right here? A plug from the factory after it was charged? It was covered with a little aluminum cover that easily slipped off and back on. There's a curved narrow "bottle-neck" just below the big horizontal canister. If I were an ammonia molecule trying to get stuck, that is where I'd stop. I especially gave that area a few good whacks with my pliers. I'm tired of screwing around with this refrigerator. No matter what I do, it only cools the back wall of the freezer just partially. Nothing else cools at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150906_210009.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	87983
Haybaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

I am sorry to say your unit probably needs replacement. The sealed ammonia system is not serviceable without specialized equipment and knowledge.
For more in depth info
The RV Doctor: RV Absorption Refrigeration - Cooling Unit Facts, Faults and Fixes

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

How long have you left it on? It takes 6 to 12 to cool. The Freezer portion will start feeling cool first possibly within 30 minutes, but several hours the the whole unit.

What state do you live in. I have a deal for you. I have the Dometic that came in my first TT 2010 Passport after 2 years I thought was not cooling, but I wasn't giving it enough time. I bought and installed a new one and discovered immediately there was nothing wrong with the one I took out..

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Is this a plug or valve or what?

I am not even a novice, but are you trying gas or electric or both? Maybe the electric element is bad. Gas?

Sorry I re-read the post. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
How long have you left it on? It takes 6 to 12 to cool. The Freezer portion will start feeling cool first possibly within 30 minutes, but several hours the the whole unit.
I usually leave it on for about a week before I give up and just turn it back off. Trust me, I've given it plenty of time with both the LP and AC settings.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post

What state do you live in. I have a deal for you. I have the Dometic that came in my first TT 2010 Passport after 2 years I thought was not cooling, but I wasn't giving it enough time. I bought and installed a new one and discovered immediately there was nothing wrong with the one I took out..
I live in Kentucky. Thanks for the offer.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Worse comes to worse, do like we're doing. Chunk it and put a small residential in. Found a frost free one that fit the hole almost to the T, for $388. Right now we just run on shore power or genset, but will soon be doing the battery upgrade and inverter. Just a thought if it comes to replacing. There is just no comparing the Dometic, or Norcold to a residential.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Kentucky yep you're little far from me. I know the one I took out works and once verified I would get rid of it very cheap. like garage sale cheap..

Old 09-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Explorer

Sorry to hear about the fridge, never fun….
I had a fridge go out, mine had an ammonia leak so it was easy to figure out. I did find multiple places on line that rebuilt them. I got mine for $300 and it went together fairly easy. The sites all had lots of info on them.
Good Luck
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I am sorry to say your unit probably needs replacement. The sealed ammonia system is not serviceable without specialized equipment and knowledge.
For more in depth info
The RV Doctor: RV Absorption Refrigeration - Cooling Unit Facts, Faults and Fixes
At this point, if anybody is willing to share some of the specialized knowledge and what equipment is required, I'd be willing to try it. I have nothing to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Worse comes to worse, do like we're doing. Chunk it and put a small residential in. Found a frost free one that fit the hole almost to the T, for $388. Right now we just run on shore power or genset, but will soon be doing the battery upgrade and inverter. Just a thought if it comes to replacing. There is just no comparing the Dometic, or Norcold to a residential.
Amen to that! I have since discovered that my particular fridge was contracted out by Dometic when they were building a new factory. I'm sure it went to the lowest bidder.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

We're on our second fridge in a year. It's a Norcold, but still a problem child. Leaking water out the back (in a place it isn't supposed to) during thaw cycle. Norcold was good, sent them videos and picture documentation of the problem, get a "we've never seen that before response", no questions asked, sent a new one. Got it in, did the same thing. I'm sure I could get a third, but enough is enough, and I'm tired of catching water with rags behind the fridge. So, while the fridge was removed during the change out, I starting taking pictures and measurements. Just so happened to be at Lowes one day, grabbed a tape, found one that fits, and here we go. Cost of fridge, inverter, 2- 6 volt batteries, battery box etc, still won't come to the cost of a new Norcold.

Keep us updated on what you come up with.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #12

As was mentioned, there are several places online to buy rebuilt or have yours repaired if you don't want to buy new. I wouldn't bother with my own and I have been a commercial/industrial refrigeration mechanic for over 20 years. The ammonia inside is toxic to breathe and removing the charging plug will release the poisonous gas. Some things are just best left to professionals.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #13

question on Dometic fridges, There's a 110 AC plug, a 12 Volt DC terminal and propane hookup. If I'm to test my Dometic that's sitting in my garage can I just plug it in to 110 AC or do I also have to supply it with 12 volts?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Believe circuit board needs 12 volts
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #15

Well....well....well. I just checked it. It ran out of propane sometime in the middle of the night, BUT the freezer is down close to 40 degrees, and the fridge is at least cool now. I switched it back over to AC power. My little Lev Andropov moment might have actually helped. Lol. I'll check it again tonight and give you guys a report.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #16

"this is how we fix things in russia".........
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Left Coast

Comrade....
Old 09-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #18
2003 Georgetown 325

i had this problem with my Dometic. Turned out that a 12v wire had gone to ground. Ran another wire and the problem was solved. I had tried the 'beat the hell out of the pipes' thing and also heating up the freezer compartment to make the gas reverse course. Didn't work though.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #19

Refrigerator

Make sure you are level as this will cause a problem also.if your not cut off ref.wait a couple hrs. Turn back on when you level my new dometic is the most sensitive I have ever had when not level
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Left Coast

Some might be touchier than others.... mine has been off level by 1" or more, side to side, and worked fine.