Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

Jacking up the TT tires in storage for the winter.

I asked this question a while back and didn’t get a response. We store our TT in an outside storage center for the winter. We have a cover on it and we’ve ordered tire covers, but they are on back order. We’ve had several people to tell us we need to jack the tires off the ground and we’ve had people tell us just to park it with the tires on wood so it wouldn’t be on the cold asphalt. We live in the southeastern part of NC and it isn’t terribly cold for long periods of time. What is the general rule if there is one. Thank you in advance.
captain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #2

My view:
1. For long term storage - more than a month or so. It is best to have the tires off the ground - no load. HOWEVER, that can be a pita and potentially dangerous. You would need to jack up the trailer and set enough jack stands or cement blocks under it to keep it stable. I don't do this.
2. Most manufacturers say that tires should not be stored long term on concrete or limestone. The lime does have an impact on tires if sitting. So it is a good idea to put some other product under the tires. Also, the tires should be clean and kept as dry as possible. I have not seen a tire manufacturer provide advice against storing on asphalt.
3. Manufacturers recommend that the tires be fully inflated (max pressure or appropriate pressure for load on tire) when put into storage. I have seen a couple of papers that recommend storing at full +5% pressure.
4. Plenty of recommendations saying sunlight is bad for tires. But then again few people cover car and truck tires. Seems like half of the tire and vehicle manufacturers say tires should be replaced at 5 years of age. The other half say that you should have a professional inspect tires annually starting at 5 years. I'm not convinced that sunlight will cause enough accelerated degradation in 5 years to make the tire covers worth the cost and effort involved. That and on a trailer, I feel that the stresses put on the tires from tight turning are sufficient that I will replace my tires at least every 5 years.

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

You could measure the tires from front to back, get 2 pieces of 2" x 8" pressure treated lumber the same length as what you measured and put 1 piece under each side.

Be sure the pieces of lumber is longer than the contact area of the tires, with the added length and width of the lumber it will spread the weight on the tires over a larger surface of the blacktop and minimizing the chance of sinking in and leaving dips in the blacktop. Do the same for your tongue jack.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain bill View Post
We’ve had several people to tell us we need to jack the tires off the ground and we’ve had people tell us just to park it with the tires on wood so it wouldn’t be on the cold asphalt.
I'd consider jacking the TT up if you don't plan to go RVing for a few or four yrs. Cold asphalt? Hmmm... We park our rig on asphalt for six to seven months of the HE double L of a winter we get in these parts - and all the way down to -40 on occasion. Been doing it that way for many yrs and the tires/suspension are none the worse for wear.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Never jacked up a trailer for winter and I've owned them since 1984. Live in Eastern Nebraska, so the tires have gotten their share of cold, ice, snow, sleet. I do put on a tire treatment and cover them every winter.
Putting the tires on pieces of chemically treated wood, that is the same temperature as the asphalt ? Don't see the benefit.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

If it's going to stay parked for several years, then yes, I'd jack it up. If only for a few months over the winter then don't worry about it. Just make sure the tire pressure is maxed out.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback!
captain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Because of our climate, we regularly store our trailers for 5-6 months without moving them, Tires not jacked up. Been doing this since the 1960's. Never a problem.

I will add that someone showed me this and I seen the tire in question but could not scientifically verify the cause... a friend had stored his trailer on TREATED planks and the contact patch of the tire (to treated wood) had deterioration to the point it looked unsafe at that spot. He swore the chemicals in the treated wood leached out and reacted to the rubber.
I have seen some treated wood that was awfully 'wet' when first used or cut.

Since then, if I pull onto TREATED wood for any length of time, I'll throw something on the plank like a piece of plastic, coroplast or cardboard. Again, I can't say that was the cause but I can't say it wasn't, only that it happened.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Scoundrel

Owned trailers over the last 12 years and never jacked anything up. Nor have I ever walked onto a dealers lot and seen RVs jacked up off the ground.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Owned trailers and campers for nearly 40 years never jacked one off the ground never covered a camper. Never had an issue or flat because of it.

Currently have 18 ST trailer tires on the ground pretty much for the winter, that's where they will be this spring....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

What I have done

When I owned a 25 foot boat I jacked up the trailer and put stands in front and behind the axles every fall. The tires are still on the ground but maybe half the load is off of them.

Jacking my TT with the torsion axles is a lot harder so I am not going to do anything. I did put the stabilizer jacks down but then thought about the corrosion the snow can cause so I pulled them up.

Even jacking the boat trailer up I still blew more than my share of tires (Carlisle).

Batteries and tires get changed at the 4-5 year interval. Expect a little hop in the tires the first run of the season for a few miles. I agree that the biggest stress on tires is the tight turns and backing in that we do that really twists the tires.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #12

Jacking up tires

I have had T/Ts for a long time and also live in se North Carolina. Never took weight off the tires just back it on treated lumber and have never ever covered it. It is a bad ideal to cover a camper as they will mildew fast with no way to breath. The neighbor up the street uncovered his at the start of spring and it was so moldy and the medicine cabinet just fell off the wall. I said I told you so and he went and bought a new one and said he will never cover it again.
lstoneroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #13

Tires off ground

I live right beside a big RV dealership and never seen any trailer jacked up on their lot for the winter months.

ruggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggets View Post
I live right beside a big RV dealership and never seen any trailer jacked up on their lot for the winter months.

They also do not have a real interest in the longevity of the campers on their lot.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #15

The trailer/chassis manufacturers all say not to place jacks under the axle so setting the trailer on stands goes against this. Despite that I did place my 5r on stands one season - as stated a PITA. Now no stands and just use sun shades and plastic between the concrete and tire.-- may be nonsense but makes me feel like I have done something.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #16

Don’t park on asphalt too long or the lug nuts will loosen
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

I have a twin axle car trailer that spends it down time in a garage. It has rear legs that support the rear of the trailer when loading. I lower the tongue, drop the legs and raise the front swivel jack until the wheels are off the ground. When I have the chance I spin the wheels and the bearings seem to be happy......no load on them.
Racer Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #18

I use untreated saw mill rough cut 2 x 6's
Old 12-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
I'd consider jacking the TT up if you don't plan to go RVing for a few or four yrs. Cold asphalt? Hmmm... We park our rig on asphalt for six to seven months of the HE double L of a winter we get in these parts - and all the way down to -40 on occasion. Been doing it that way for many yrs and the tires/suspension are none the worse for wear.

Actually I think you are telling fibs here. "None the worse for wear" Ha! When my tires wear, they look terrible.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Don’t park on asphalt too long or the lug nuts will loosen

Really? Is this due to the magnetic field which spins around them?

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tire, tires, winter