Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Unhappy Just jumped into the water

We signed the purchase agreement for a 2015 Forest River Wildwood x-lite 174bh Thursday and will pick it up from Ruff's RV in Euclid, Ohio. I am so nervous. I pray we made the right decision(for us). Our TV is a Ford Explorer.

Any words of wisdom?

We will be camping Wednesday night close to the dealer before driving home.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Congratulations on your purchase! It looks like you picked the perfect travel trailer to mate with your tow vehicle. I bet it works out just right for you and your family, also.

Bruce
Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Congrats on your new purchase. Be a good time to inquire about the additional one year extended warranty offered by FR for$150. Well worth the money. Enjoy Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! If you're new to owning a trailer, bring a notepad and take lots of notes and ask lots of questions. (As you will discover, the owners manuals aren't very useful for day-to-day operations.)

For the walk-around, make them hook up a hose and power and run through everything and check everything as they will be in a rush to fix things before you sign the final paperwork and, often, not so much in a hurry if you bring it in for work.

Besides that, watch lots of videos on RVs which are very educational. (From how to drive with a tow, setting up, maintenance, winterizing, etc.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
dap

If possible videotape the walk through or record it for future reference.
You will be excited and there is new information for you to learn.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the great advice. The dealer actually offered the FR 2nd year warranty form to us without even asking (I took someone's advice and took a copy to the dealer just in case). I also printed out several inspection checklists.

I like the video advice too. Can't wait for next Wednesday!

Maria
Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erppj View Post
Thanks for the great advice. The dealer actually offered the FR 2nd year warranty form to us without even asking (I took someone's advice and took a copy to the dealer just in case). I also printed out several inspection checklists.

Maria
Excellent, you will be surprised at how much there is to remember.

Test everything, heater, AC, microwave boil a cup of water or take a bag of pop corn.
Ask about the location of the water filter and the water heater by pass valves.

Go thru it like a boss, cause you are.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

I hope you get along with then I have tried several times to look at a camper to buy or to buy parts for my old camped before I bought my new one and they don't seem to really talk with you on a serious level so I bought from someone else
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Ask to see all valves for controling water flow.

Ford Idaho is right about the winterizing valves and bypass kit. In the spring the 1st time we went to use the trailer we didn't know or could we find 2 valves that shut off for adding anti freeze and turning on for fresh water tank. So we had a total of 5 valves. We knew about the 3 for the hot water tank bypass. So ask them to show you all valves. Including propane tank auto switch over valve if you have one. Hot Water tank switch to use off of electric if you don't have one inside the trailer.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
We signed the purchase agreement for a 2015 Forest River Wildwood x-lite 174bh Thursday and will pick it up from Ruff's RV in Euclid, Ohio. I am so nervous. I pray we made the right decision(for us). Our TV is a Ford Explorer.

Any words of wisdom?

We will be camping Wednesday night close to the dealer before driving home.

Best words of wisdom, read these forums daily. There are som incredibly helpful people on here. Be anal about cleaning your black tank, and have a lot of fun!
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

Maria
Now from what I've done its a 1 year extension not 2. Care to clarify? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
MCTroy

Best advise we ever got about camping: take your time and be patient. Do not let the dealer rush you through the inspection. Take your time. I took pics on my phone and made notes on them. And after the sale, same advise. Take it easy when hooking up,parking and setting up. Relax and have fun. Congrats!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

Joe is great isn't he? I pick up 2016 Herigtage Glen 368rlbh from Ruffs in the next couple of days. I have bought a couple of units from them. Their sales and service department is great before during and after the sale.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
RetiredRVer

We bought our Heritage Glen 282RK from Ruffs about a year and a half ago. It currently is back there for warranty work. They want to go thru the "walk thru" fairly quickly, so make sure you ask lots of questions. Doing a video is a great idea. They didn't show me the winterizing process, but I already knew that procedure. If you don't, make sure to cover that with them while you are there. They are fairly good about service, but so slow! Good luck and congratulations! You can PM me if you would like details.
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

For me it helps that this is my 3rd purchase from them as well as my office is 1/2 block away. But I would agree that they can rush the walk through now that I think about it. I have had travel trailers for the past 20 years so not too much new with the basics of them so I'm sure I didn't really notice the quicker walk through as I wouldn't have had a lot of questions. Definitely ask questions about how to winterize with the anti freeze method. The only true way to be worry free of frozen pipes. Years ago I forgot to drain the water heater and burst the tank, what a mess and pain replacing the tank.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #16

Clarification: on the warranty, I meant 2nd year, as in the additional one year after the initial one year warranty expires.

I worked with Joe over the phone but last weekend he was injured in an accident so another fellow wrote up the order. I hope Joe does the walk through because the other fellow was not very enthusiastic, if you know what I mean.

I really appreciate all your words of wisdom. I know it is a good idea to have the selling dealer do all your work but we live in Springfield, IL so we plan to use our local authorized dealer for any issues that arise. Ruff's offered the best deal even though it is a 2015 model.

Only 3 more days! Dingos top, maybe I will see you at Ruff's on Wednesday.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

I think I know who you are talking about as not being to enthused. As for the accident, it was not Joe, it was the son of one of the other main employees. I talked to Joe every day this past week. The walk through is typically done by one of the shop guys rather than Joe himself. Joe is actually the step-son of Rick who I believe is the owner.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

You will have more fun than you can stand.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #19

I agree they do work with you on purchasing a trailer. Mine is there now getting warranty work done for the 2nd year in a row. Have any questions on your unit send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to reply. I purchased 2 new trailers from Ruff's both of which had side wall delamination issues. Not there fault but they get stuck fixing the trailers.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #20

I'm just upset that I was told 5 week until my new unit would come in and it has now been 8 weeks. Not their fault, falls on Forest River but getting a bit frustrated. Came off the line over 2 weeks ago. Was sent to the shipping yard last Friday supposedly and still no camper.

Tags
water