Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

Ladder afterthought

We did not get a ladder on our 2008 Wildwood. My hubby wants to put one on.
Can you just order and RV ladder and install it yourself? Any problems doing this?

Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a bike rack to the ladder?

Thanks
shdigu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

There are two issues here:

1) Punching holes in the skin of the RV
2) Mounting the ladder structurally so that it will bear the weight of anyone climing it.

I would let the dealer do this one, or at least a qualified RV service center.

They make bike racks for trailer bumpers that you just bolt on. Do you want to climb the ladder or just hang bikes on it?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3

We want to do both. Climb to clean the top and hang bikes. Right now Ithink we will just throw the bikes in the back of the pickup

Thanks
shdigu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

We have a 29LE BHBS Wildwood

We tried to have dealer install, even they it was agreed in sale contract, the owner later felt they didnt have enough info to install and that they didnt know if the TT had been blocked for a ladder.

I worked closely with FR and a different dealer to have a ladder installed. FR stressed that the ladder needed to be purchesed from FR and that it must match the model TT bought. Even with all this info and effort, even after I was told by FR that the TT was framed internally, the ladder isn as good as if installed from factory. after all this stated, i would discourage tryng to install, but if you do, make sure you talk to FR, get drawings, buy their ladder, make sure it is blocked from factory, etc.

We have used the ladder, but we will still also use our telescoping ladder for most of the roof access ound the top of the slides and awning, it is very strong having a 300 pd capacity

hope this helps

phil

Tags
wildwood