Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
lifted truck with 5th wheel

does anyone have a lifted truck and towing a 5th wheel?

if so did you lift the 5th wheel?

heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I don't, but I've seen a couple. They are usually tail dragging. Lifted trucks and fifth wheels are not a good combination. My fifth wheel is 13'4" tall when hooked up, lifting it is not an option. Some model fifth wheels may be able to be lifted, but you're only talking a couple inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
I had a 2007 Dutchman Tundra 5th wheel that I towed with my 2007 Toyota Tundra. I had air bags installed on the truck to help with the 5th wheel tongue weight and sag. The sag went away but because that was the first year of the new Tundra truck design the truck bed was much deeper. That than made the 5th wheel sit to high in the front which I did not like as that would put more weight on the rear axle. I had a lift kit installed that was going to raise the trailer 5" but it actually measured 8". I was concerned that the center of gravity would be a problem since it was raised so much but that was no problem. With the air bags and the trailer lift kit it rode very stable and level. I have taken two trips across the states, and some smaller trips, that have totaled about 30,000 miles with no problems. I can't remember the name of the lift kit but do remember it cost about $1,800 in 2009. For me it worked out great. Hope that helps.
2010 Wildwood 23FBS
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
ibwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Ya there was a guy on here that has his 5th wheel lifted. I was trying to find the thread but couldn't. And thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
GMC 2500 desiel 4x4 with a 8" lift. And yes the dealer had to raise the 5th wheel, cost was an extra $1000. They also put bigger axels. Fithwheel is 14' high.
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Smile Truck with a Lift Kit

Not to worry Mate
We have a 08 GMC Sierra diesel 4x4 short box
After I bought the Wildcat Sterling 32 RL, there was a concern about the truck having a 4" lift kit. The RV dealer and mechanics assured me that the cheapest route to go was to lift the coach 5". I had second thoughts about this, but went ahead. They cut off the spring shackles and welded a 2"x5" x 6' square tube on each side, of course. Also, right away, I discarded the Lippert factory pin box and installed a TrailAir pin box.
This unit trails along like a dream. Watch your new height though. This unit is now about 13'8" high, so you will become more aware of those yellow clearance signs on the bridges. When they get down to 14 ft. it kinda gives you the "willies" until you get used to it. This fall, we,... along with the rest of our "West Coast Folks" just got back from a "Cross Canada RV Trip. (20,000 Kms.) Even to going across to the most eastern province of the wonderful "Rock" NL. Not a problem going there and back. Even the China tires stayed on the rig. Amazing
huh ? OK......get a qualified RV person to jack up the trailer and enjoy a great rig. Have fun !!
higgins.harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Wow!! 14' high??? thats not even legal ! 13'-6" is the dot max,im surprised the dealer would go out on a limb for that.If you were to mess up a bridge(they arnt ALL marked) it would be a legal disaster for you AND the dealer that raised it.Mine came at 13'-5" and I raised it 1" with the 16" wheels and tires,even that makes me nervous.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Lowest bridge in central California Hwys 14'2". Lol
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Originally Posted by palominoryda View Post
Lowest bridge in central California Hwys 14'2". Lol
that's great, as long as you never plan on leaving there and coming back with your air conditioner
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
I had a lifted 07 gmc 2500 with 8" lift .Towing a 40 ft fifth wheel.Can see in my pic album
I was at 13'8 tall. Never had to lift my rv.But made my truck sag
Bad.Diesel hauled it great .But was not fun in the wind storms.
Had lifted trucks all my life and when hauling the 5th wheel
Time to get away .

2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, truck, wheel