Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Lights dim and when AC comes on they get bright

I have a 2005 30bhbs we where camping this past week and I noticed
The lights would dime hear and there and when the air-conditioning turned on they would get brighter anyone one have this problem I was plugged into 30 amp !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
M.gilmore21280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Could it be my inverteris going bad ?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #3

Your lights should be on the 12VDC (battery-connected) system and the A/C (compressor, at least) is on the 120VAC system. There should be minimal interaction between them - only connected at the battery.

However, is your battery the same vintage as the RV? If so, it may be nearly dead and your lights are really being only run by the 12VDC being produced from the converter for battery charging. Thus, when the AC sags from the air conditioner startup surge, maybe the inverter charge voltage sags too and there's no battery to keep it up.

This is why most converters will fault if there is no battery.

If you're saying that the lights become brighter than normal after the A/C gets going, that would be strange because that kind of thing is usually a symptom of bad neutral bonding in a split phase (household) system and you don't have that in an RV.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
...If you're saying that the lights become brighter than normal after the A/C gets going, that would be strange because that kind of thing is usually a symptom of bad neutral bonding in a split phase (household) system and you don't have that in an RV.
Is it possible they just seem to be brighter due to them coming back to full strength after dimming for the AC startup?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

I have a new batterie for it I will swap it out and still see if it happens but like I said they go real dim then when the ac turns on they seam to get bright again like they should be

Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

Do not swap out the battery yet.....

It (imo) it is your battery and you have an issue with that.... bad batt, bad cells, bad connections, converter issue not keeping it charged. Look around what is going on with the batt. get a volt meter and make sure that it is charging and all connections are good. I 'would not', put a 'new' battery on at this time until you know yours is 'shot' and what caused it.

I would suggest before doing anything.... try to see if your furnace works.... The 'lights' will/can run on just the converter and a dead battery, going dim and brightening back up after the AC comes on (the draw lowers). The furnace will not... it needs a half way good battery.

Now find out what shot your battery. does it need water and can be 'saved' of does it have dead cells and should go to recycle? Do a little leg work on what is up with your current battery or you will/may be in the same place (bad batt.)in a couple of weeks.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

x2 ^^^

Your RV is 9 years old and the wiring should be checked for corroded connections wherever you can... battery terminals, main breaker (near the battery - mine actually fractured), etc.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light