Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #1

low water drains

2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 327RE I see what I think are the low water drain hoses under the belly by the axles. Althought they are both white. There are actually 3 lines there, one with a valve which I assume is the drain for the fresh water tank. The other two lines have no caps so I am thinking they are the low water lines, but I can't find any cutoffs for them. any idea where the cutoffs may be? Is it possible when the hot water tank is in bypass that too is the cutoff for the low water drains? Fixing to winterize this RV, need to find out about these low water drains. thanks!
whatzleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to contourcrazy
On my 2016 Wildowood 261bhxl there are two lines with no caps or valves on them next to the fresh water drain. These lines are overflow/vent lines for the fresh water tank. My low point drains are on the back driver side. they are red and blue and have caps on them.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

ok, I will look back there, thank you!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Just out of curiosity. Why are you worried about the low points when winterizing? My understanding was the valve required was the HW bypass valve. Once you start pumping in to each water outlet (Washer, bathroom sink, toilet, shower, kitchen sink and outdoor shower) you are winterized. Never seen anything on the low points. Maybe I have been doing it wrong?? If so, I have been lucky.
tnovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to contourcrazy
I believe that whatever water is in the low point area will stayt there even though you are pumping antifreeze everywhere else. Considering that the low points are in the elements they definitely need to be protected. With that being said, Pex (if that is what your pipes atre ) is pretty forgiving with freezing plus I would think that any expansion form freezing would be absorbed into the antifreze. I think you'd be alright. It takes an extra couple of minutes once they are located so it really doesn't make since not to drain the low points of any water. This also is relative to where you are located and how hard the witers are there. In our previous tt I did not even winterize two seasons in a row. The first season I had no problems and the next I the kitchen faucet suffer damage.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

I was planning on just blowing it out, and using antifreeze in the drains, and toilet. Don't really see the reason for antifreeze in the lines if there is no water in them. Can't freeze if it's not there right?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

The 2 lines without caps are air vents for filling and overflow for the fresh water tank.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

Yep found them tonight, right over the black tank pull valve, just had to look up under there and there they was with caps on them.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Has anyone replaced the caps with cut off valve's? If so what kind?
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

different model but same concept. actually I did this to the fresh water tank drain. it's reach to get to the one on our trailer. it has a male 1/2" pipe thread fitting with a cap on it. I took the cap off and put on a pvc 90 fitting and then connected a short piece of pvc pipe out to the edge of the trailer. there I put on a 1/4 turn ball valve and a garden hose fitting. I used a beam hanger and a short piece of plumbers pipe hanging tape to secure the pipe to the frame. works great. I can attach the garden hose to the fitting on the valve, run it away from the trailer, and drain the fresh water tank without having to get under the trailer or have the water drain all over the ground. probably didn't cost $10.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip252 View Post
Any 1/2 PVC ball valve should screw right on where the caps are.

1/2 in. PVC Sch. 40 FPT x FPT Ball Valve-VBVP40B3B - The Home Depot
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip252 View Post
Lots of posts of folks getting a screw on PVC ball valve from your favorite big box store. Take off the cap, screw on the valve.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water