Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Go Pack Go!!

MFR didn't install double insulation as a requested upgrade

Short story made long, we camp in central Wisconsin, and it can get cold!

I ordered a new 2016 Wildwood 4092-BFL two years ago, we paid for a LOT of upgrades to the TT, including dual pane windows, Gel-coat exterior, R38 extreme weather package and double insulation in roof and floor (extra insulation was only another $125.00), for a reason. We paid for several other upgrades but not important for this thread. I also paid the extra $150 for the second year warranty.

The dealer is coming to replace roof membrane this week due to screws and/or nails starting to push up through the rubber membrane. I first noticed the problem in December, 2016 when I was closing up for the season (I cut and installed small Eternabond squares over the heads so they wouldn't poke through over the winter snowy months creating leaking through the roof). The trailer is stationary and we do not tow it anywhere. It's been here since delivered by the dealer in June, 2015.

Over the past year or so while adding extra outlets and stuff (I'm electrician by trade), I noticed insulation missing in some areas of the outside walls, and possible the ceiling. I did let the dealer know about this but Forest River did not have a response. I had even taken pictures of the walls at that time.

In preparation for the roof membrane replacement this week, the service tech indicated while replacing the roof, we can pull up one of the 1/2" OSB panels and check for the double insulation, and if missing, he can add another layer.

I started today taking off some of the grilles/covers off A/C's, skylights, etc. in the interior ceiling of the TT. From the skylight opening, I can see right though the trusses, and there is only one layer of R7 insulation. R7 is the standard insulation rating for all walls, floor and ceiling in the original brochure which I have a copy of. I have the upgrade option sheet checked for double insulation (R14 in floor and ceiling), and it is on the invoice with the dealer on a separate line item, and paid for back in 2015.

I really have an issue with this because we were specific with the dealer and MFR that we wanted it. I even spoke separately with a gal at Forest River to confirm that I could get it. The double A/C's never can keep up in summer, and the furnace has a hard time keeping up when it gets below 32 degrees in fall/winter/spring.

I left a message for the service tech (who is great by the way) that the insulation is missing, and when he comes out we need to check to see if the floor is also deficient in the insulation (I'm at this point assuming it's deficient). If it is, I really have a gripe with the original order and the assembly line at Forest River.

Without getting into lawyer talk stuff, do I have a legitimate request for the MRF to deliver the camper with all the features I paid for that they didn't install? The extra insulation is a big deal for this area! The entire roof down to the trusses would have to be ripped open to install the extra insulation, and the R38 weathershield would have to be removed to do this also. To me it's a big issue, especially when spending almost $45,000 for a camper, which can be a huge investment!

The floor is a whole different animal.....on the assembly line, everything starts with the steel beams/frame. Then materials are laid over the frame including the insulation that is put in before the plywood floor is laid down, meaning we would have to cut open the entire lower black membrane on the underside of the TT to add the extra insulation that is missing. And where is the R38 weathershield in that process? Back to the black membrane, we would have to cut that completely out and what...tape the joints closed when complete? That will never last. The cross beams help support the complete black membrane.

I did a search but couldn't find anyone else here with a similar problem. To me, ordering a TT from MFR is like ordering a new car with extra options paid for. Both are DOT licensed vehicles. I am leaning toward putting pressure of FR to deliver a camper that I correctly ordered, and looking for some input from others. My expectations are not high that FR will agree, but advice would be great if others went through this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

I'm sorry to hear your problems. I think FR will not make it easy to get what you paid for after all this time. I have a seasonal in Montello and we hardly use our 13.5k A/C. I think the most we have used ours was 3 day stretch and turned it off and opened windows in the evening. I know the TT can get pretty chilly when the temperature drops. Ours is closed up for the winter. I wish the RV mfgrs would use the spray foam insulation that is being used in Canada now, 2" of the foam is equivalent to 6" of fiberglass and acts as a vapor barrier.

I hope FR make everything good for you.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

At the very least seems they owe you some refund money for what they failed to provide. Take pics to prove your claim.
Rick42nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, upgrade