Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Another rat in the race

Mods made to my 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL

It was asked on another thread about all the mods I have made to my trailer but since with pictures this could be a very long list I decided to make it a new post. So here goes.

I placed a BIG level 5th, wheel style, on the font. The key is to silicone it on and then use the built in adjustment to calibrate it. since my TT is alum on the outside it does tend to shift a little. But it is nice to be able to back up and see how many blocks I need and if just a few feet more one way or the other will make me level.

I also added a flag post bracket to the tongue

A step brace this made a huge difference in the feel of the last step going in and out. They do make one you just set there but we felt it would just keep moving so we went for the one you attach to the step but you do need to have the locking pin on just right for it not to hit putting it away.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Another rat in the race

I put a dual battery set up on it. now I don't use a WD hitch so this might not work for others but what I did was take 2 group 24 battery boxes and cut the handles off one side of each box and then put them together. They just fit this way. Wired them up individually and put a switch in the front utility side compartment, that way it is on the same side as all the rest and kids won't play with it. I did trim the propane tank cover lip in the back, to help from popping the battery cover lids off when I take the propane cover off.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Another rat in the race

I set up a solar charger for my batteries for while I was storing the trailer. I used a cheap HF solar panel and 2 power diodes this all happens before the battery switch so when stored I can disconnect the batteries. Since the panel only puts out about 500mA and only during the day I don't really worry about over charging. I used a piece of 1" galv. pipe and hose clamps to the tongue jack and put the solar panel on a 1/2" galv. pipe then used a SAE 2 pin connector (like on chargers) for the connection works great so far and easy to take off and store for when the trailer is in opperation.

Since trailer manf. never expect people to travel with out 110 Ac they don't put 12v plugs in anymore so I added them around the trailer one on each side of the bed, one just under the sink counter on the side of the cabinet, and one under the table. I have plans to put a few on the outside just haven't got around to it. I ran them straight from the fuse box and put them on their own 15amp fuse (there are extra spots in the fuse box). Also notice the power cord run from one side of the bed to the other, I guess they figure one of you in the bed is Amish.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Another rat in the race

I hated the thermostat in the trailer it was either cold or move the slide bar half a notch and then it simulated living on the surface of the sun. So I changed it out for just a cheap non programmable battery operated one from home depot. I have plans to add an extra wire and a relay circuit then use this thermostat to control the AC also. I also discovered that there is an access panel for the water pump under the drawers so I removed that and drilled it for a heater vent. Then I moved the one running across the sink cabinet to there. This did 3 things helped heat our feet where we sit at the table in the night playing games (when its too cold out side), allowed the family to put shoes in the corner by the couch (where no one trips on them), and opened up more room in the sink cabinet.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Another rat in the race

I also Put a TV in the corner and used a pull out bracket works great and put a dvd player in the cabinet next to it. this is little but it helps my wife I moved the bracket for the bed room curtain to the corner and now she doesn't fight it walking around the bed at night.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

I put shelves in the closets were camping who needs hangers. (A LOT MORE STORAGE) Put a cubby on the door side of the queen bed, again the person on that side of the trailer must not be allowed to have any personal possessions electronic or otherwise. I also added a bed extender, its a piece of wood that is as tall as the matress and about 3" thick. I covered it with batting and fabric and placed it at the head of the bed this made the mattress 6'3" long witch really helps when your 6'1" and your wife walks by the foot of the bed at night.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Another rat in the race

The couch helps the most we took the kick panel off and then decided to leave it off put an oil rubbed bronze closet pole across and put 3 large tub under the couch we use them as a pantry but even bringing enough food (non refrige) for 4 people for ten days worth of meals didn't fill up all three tubs. Now this all came about because my son would drop his cars down behind the couch when he was playing and you could not get to them. So in addition I added a piece of 1/4" ply to the space between the couch frame and the pony wall. Not only do his cars remain accessible to him but we now have a place to put our brooms (at least when the couch is up right) if you use something thicker than 1/4" it might effect how the couch sits when folded down.

The final thing we have done is we added a rack to the back of the trailer. I had it professionally added they cut the bumper off welded it onto the frame and then put the bumper back on. we had all decided that the system we beefy enough for a 2" receiver for the bike rack you see in the picture but we have since removed it. I just did not like not knowing what was going on back there in relation to the bikes. The first commercially bought bike rack broke at its weld and damaged the trailer. So now we just keep the tool box back there and it is filled with hoses and chairs and a tent. Bulky items NOT heavy items. Interestingly enough the dealer asked what that option was he wanted to order his trailers with it. I kept my mouth shut and told him I don't know what order code it would be, my dealer went out of business that's how I got such a good deal on this trailer, which is the truth just answering the wrong question. The spare tire also goes under the bed with us not on the bumper.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Another rat in the race

One other thing we do when we camp (although this is not a mod, it is a life saver) is to use vinyl fitted sheets and fabric fitted sheets to cover the BH beds, they use sleeping bags to sleep, and we also wrap the dinette and couch if people sleep there. Then at the end of a few trips I just wash the fitted sheets. You use the little mattress keepers (small elastic straps) to wrap the sheets tight. If there is a problem with liquid on the mattress, soda or other, you just wash the sleeping bag and sheet at the local laundry and your back in business, it took potty training our little one in a tent trailer to come up with this.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Thank you so much for your pics and write up. You have given us many great ideas
on what we can do with our TTs. This is what this site is all about, great folks sharing
their experience to all us newbies.
FT_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_Chief View Post
Thank you so much for your pics and write up. You have given us many great ideas
on what we can do with our TTs. This is what this site is all about, great folks sharing
their experience to all us newbies.
No prob, we'll be out in your neck of the woods (kind of, sort of, not really) for Christmas and New Years. We are spending that week-ish in Death Valley, going in through Baker and Shashonne(?) We have lots of family in and mostly around Vegas; and although we haven't been out lately, we are usually out there about 6-8 times a year.