Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

New 2019 Wildwood 40 FDEN Impressions

I wish I could be more positive but it is what it is. I'm not picking on Forest River specifically but probably more of a statement of the rv manufacturing industry as a whole. These things are made of less than quality material and are put together shoddily. This isn't the fault of the people doing the work necessarily as they are under pressure to get these things out the door and onto the dealers lots as fast as humanly possible.

I knew this going in. I wasn't shopping brands because it's the same across the board unless you are doing custom build like Lazy Daze and wait 18 months to two years for your rig to be assembled and spend north of the 100K mark. We were shopping floor plan paying little attention to what brand we were standing in as long as the layout was what we wanted.

Being a destination trailer it was moved from the dealers lot to our lake property never to be moved again. I was hoping I'd have a better chance of it holding together not bouncing and twisting down the road every weekend. Slide outs should only need to go in and out twice a year.

It started at the dealer where we got the high pressure sales to buy the interior/exterior/mechanical extended warranties to the tune of $7000. We said no thanks. We just spent $35K on a camper and lots of other expenditures coming on property improvements. Well they took the hard run at us three times with the last time in the service managers office where we told what was covered in the manufacturers warranty (not much) and what would be covered under this Cadillac plan. I finally ran out of patience and told them I'm not handing over $7 grand and you and i both understand the things are put together cheaply and manufacturers warranty sucks but I can fix a lot of stuff for $7 grand!

So now it's been on site for about 5 weeks. We are not living in it full time but I'm there about 3 days then come home for two days before going back to do dirt work on the property. I'm starting to notice little things already. A brace on the steps has a broken spot weld. All the window shades and there are a lot of them are those easy roll up type where you just tug downward and let go and the shade rolls slowly up. 3 of those are no longer working properly. The rear outside door that goes into the master bedroom all of a sudden needs to be slammed shut to close properly.

And now the last time I noticed the Furrion sound bar system is acting up. Sometimes you can control it from the buttons on the sound bar and sometimes not. Sometimes only the remote will turn it on or off or increase or decrease volume. None of this surprises me as this is our 4th camper we've owned but first brand new one. Like I said it's no secret what level of quality materials and equipment are used and the circumstances under which they are assembled.

Had i spent another $5 or $10 grand it would be the same thing. So far it's been just these little bugaboos and nothing real major. I'll wait until the fall months to go around and see what I can fix.

It would just be nice to see the RV industry step up it's game a bit.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood