Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

New 27RKSS

Hi all! I am new to the whole travel trailer scene and about to make my first purchase. We went out and looked at some models yesterday and decided on a 2017 Wildwood 27RKSS, mainly due to my wife liked the larger kitchen. Once we left my wife mentioned how the recliners were a different color than the sofa, a dark brown versus a light tan. I went and spoke to the dealer about having this corrected before we signed paperwork and picked up tomorrow (Friday). Dealer stated that is how they received it, and it could not be changed without me paying 😂😂. I half way about cut the deal, but decided is this really a huge issue? Is this common that the furniture be different? I have done some searching and cannot find any without matching furniture. On another note, what are some things I should look for when I do a walk through of the rig tomorrow? I saw some posts stating that people have bought them and the tires were not rated high enough for the camper when it had the water tanks fully loaded etc, has anyone else had this issue? Any and all tips are appreciated. I have never owned a camper (we were raised camping in tents), the wife has other priorities LOL! At 26 years old I think some tent time is what we need :-p On another note, what does everyone else pull there's with? I'll be pulling with a 15' Silverado 2500 with towing package and 4.10 gears. Gas motor 6.0.
cartwrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Team

The furniture issue is something you and the DW will have to decide of it's a big enough deal to cancel the deal over. You're going to have to live with it a long time or buy new furniture.

As far as the walkthrough, Did you print a copy of the PDI form on here to take with you? If not you really need to. And don't let them rush through it.

I know people are always complaining about the rating of the axles, but haven't heard of just the tires. The axles and tires must be rated for the GVWR minus the listed tongue weight. A lot of people get confused because the axles aren't rated for the complete GVWR. They figure that the TV is going to tote some of the weight so the axles don't have to be rated for the full amount.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Congrats on the 27RKSS. We got ours about a month ago and have already camped 3 weekends. Really like it. Problems we found prior to purchase: bathroom door would close but not latch, taillight out, bedroom cabinet door had to be replaced, most of the hardware for curtains was loose. All done prior to purchase though and we (thankfully!) have found no issues. We've had plenty of rainy nights with no leaks and have tested all appliances including the oven.

It's a bit bigger than we originally set out to purchase but we do like the space. I'd think your truck will do fine with it. We're using a Silverado 1500 with max tow package.
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The furniture issue is something you and the DW will have to decide of it's a big enough deal to cancel the deal over. You're going to have to live with it a long time or buy new furniture.

As far as the walkthrough, Did you print a copy of the PDI form on here to take with you? If not you really need to. And don't let them rush through it.

I know people are always complaining about the rating of the axles, but haven't heard of just the tires. The axles and tires must be rated for the GVWR minus the listed tongue weight. A lot of people get confused because the axles aren't rated for the complete GVWR. They figure that the TV is going to tote some of the weight so the axles don't have to be rated for the full amount.

Where would I find the PDI located at? Thank-you for the responses!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

Also what size ball am I going to need? I'm assuming it's a 2 5/16 correct? I have my 2" on my truck now for my flatbed, not wanting to forget to switch out if it is in fact 2 5/16.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Have had mine since January, love the layout with two exceptions. I replaced the bed plywood platform and installed a full queen memory foam mattress. Second item was the bathroom medicine cabinet was too shallow, so I built my own. The layout work great for me and have had no problems. You might want to invest in some non skid shelving material for the cabinets to keep things from sliding. Good Luck and Happy Camping.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

Yes it's a 2 5/8 inch ball and the PDI can be found in the "Library" tab at the top. Get a good W/D hitch with sway control.

I pull mine with a 2015 2500 Silverado duramax
Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #8

Awesome, thank-you for the reply! I was just asking my cousin who pulls a similar camper with an older 2500 if he though a W/D hitch would be a good idea. Good to of gotten the answer from someone in the same exact truck, minus I messed up and didn't get the Duramax *insert temper tantrum here*.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #9

I use an "equalizer" 4pt wd hitch which works well for me. With the 5.0 you wont have any problem towing. Any questions or help you need feel free to pm me.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #10

How much of a drop do you recommend for hitch? Mine is a 3.5" drop or 1.5" rise. Not sure if I need to pick up something else to throw my ball on.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwrna View Post
How much of a drop do you recommend for hitch? Mine is a 3.5" drop or 1.5" rise. Not sure if I need to pick up something else to throw my ball on.
You'll need the type of receiver ball hitch that accepts whatever brand of WD/sway system you get. You can't just throw a bigger ball on & then expect to attach WD/sway bars. They usually come as a set when you purchase the WD/sway system.

Something like this; https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66074.html

It's what I used on my previous travel trailer.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #12

I haven't bought a W/D hitch yet, just need to get it home tomorrow. I'm sure a 3" drop will be fine. From dealership to my home is about 5 miles give or take.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #13

Here is a picture of my set up. It looks worse in the pic then actual as far as paint touchup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_215306.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	114908  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #14
Site Team

As said, you need a 2-5/16" ball. The dealer should have one if you haven't already gotten it. You'll also need a draw bar with a 1" or 1¼" mounting hole depending on the ball you get.

If you plan on pulling it home without weight distribution or sway control, I highly recommend that you take it real slow. And I wouldn't even attempt it without a brake controller. Hopefully you already have that.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
As said, you need a 2-5/16" ball. The dealer should have one if you haven't already gotten it. You'll also need a draw bar with a 1" or 1¼" mounting hole depending on the ball you get.

If you plan on pulling it home without weight distribution or sway control, I highly recommend that you take it real slow. And I wouldn't even attempt it without a brake controller. Hopefully you already have that.
I will be pulling it about 5 miles home without W/D hitch, I'll feel it out. My truck has a built in brake controller. Thanks for the reply !
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #16

That looks like a husky centerline TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #17

Just got my 27RKSS home. I asked them about a W/D hitch and they ended up having a used one that had came in with a unit 10k Max and 1k Max TW, also has sway control. Ended up getting it for $100 which was nice. Found a few small issues on walk through they are correcting. A few bulbs were bad, and the exterior decals had bubbles in them where they were poorly attached so they are ordering me a new set. Can't wait to take it out next weekend! Had a hell of a time getting the hitch safety to release from the ball when I got home, a little WD40 and messing with it and she finally came loose
Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Good job.
Glad you made it with hitch (pun intended)!
Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #19

Hello all, just got a 2016 Wildwood 27RKSS as well! I went in to get some parts for my Grand Surveyor and walked out with a Wildwood!! Couldn't pass up the deal. However the sales staff was pretty much useless!!
Couple quick questions.. 1) is there a battery disconnect? 2) anyone figure out how to hack in the remote for awning.. Ect. and do it with your phone or iPad??

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Wxbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #20

I'm also interested in this. Congratulations on the 27RKSS! We just bought a 17' a week ago, took it out this weekend and it did well. One small issue with the buttons pushing in on the control pad for slide etc (the small ones for tank levels) that we will need to get looked at. Enjoy your new travel trailer!