Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

New 356qb

Well we pulled the trigger, trading in our 262bhxl for a Heritage Glen 356QB. It's a big jump in size but we highly underestimated 2 kids and a dog taking up so much room.

After looking at multiple units we decided the 356 gave is the most bang for the buck. Comes with the power package and a tablet to control everything. One thing I'm kinda disappointed about is the water heater is not gas/electric. For such a big unit I figured this would be standard.

We should take deleiver next week at some point.

Anyone have any mods that have made made a drastic difference with the 356. I for sure want to add some led flood lights into the rest bumpers and sewer hose holders on the underbelly

Also can anyone confirm that these are 4 season, I saw no markings on the exterior but the pamphlet states 4 season.

SK2 CAMPING CREW
2010 Ford F-350
2015 Wildwood XLite 262BHXL
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

My 356 isn't 4 season. My water heater is gas/electric. I thought that was standard.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #3

I couldn't find any switches internal or external for the electric

SK2 CAMPING CREW
2010 Ford F-350
Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekipkers View Post
I couldn't find any switches internal or external for the electric

SK2 CAMPING CREW
2010 Ford F-350
Don't quote me, but I think when you turn on the switch inside form the central panel, if electric is also turned on at the WH iself, then the WH goes to electric not gas. If you only want gas then turn off the switch at the WH. Than when you turn on the switch inside you will see the red LED illuminiate and go out when the heater lights. Plus you can hear the heater on gas. At least this appears to be the way by 2015 Hemi operates.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Mark & Cindy Labbe

We bought our 2015 356QBQ late last year and have been out weekend since mid April. We absolutely love it. Very happy with our decision. On the question about the hot water heater. Ours is gas/electric. If you turn on the hot water switch on the main panel, it will run on electricity in you are plugged in. If you don't turn it on with the switch on the panel, it will run on gas. If the switch is on and you lose power or unplug, it switches to gas automatically.
marklabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the information, we are about to head to the dealer now to complete the paperwork and take our TT in, so I'll check on the main panel and see.

SK2 CAMPING CREW
2010 Ford F-350
Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

We signed the papers today, water heater is gas/electric, switch was in the water heater covered with tape.

We did run into some issues, they pulled out unit over to start PdI and there was damage to the slide as well as delamination by the main entry door with cracking. I refused the unit and after looking at 3 others finally found one with no external issues. I was surprised and disappointed to see so many issues with fiberglass.

SK2 CAMPING CREW
2010 Ford F-350
Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabbe View Post
We bought our 2015 356QBQ late last year and have been out weekend since mid April. We absolutely love it. Very happy with our decision. On the question about the hot water heater. Ours is gas/electric. If you turn on the hot water switch on the main panel, it will run on electricity in you are plugged in. If you don't turn it on with the switch on the panel, it will run on gas. If the switch is on and you lose power or unplug, it switches to gas automatically.
"If you don't turn it on with the switch on the panel, it will run on gas."

That is slightly confusing, how would one shut it off when running on gas?
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #9

Made the jump to the 356qb from a 30 foot tt.

Few issues and kinda crappy fit n finish. Mostly drawers not staying closed. Bedroom and closet doors not mounted right.

Biggest concern is the AC. It is running non stop and not getting below 75. Until outside temperature drops below that level. Verified by digital temp gauge and exergen temp gun.

Surprisingly, master bath has the most frigid air and really needs a damper based vent cover. Haven't got up to check return for leaks.

In Ohio, did not have high direct sun with steady wind the 2 times that we ran it. My wife has a medical issue and high heat makes her very sick so cool air is a must.

Any suggestions?
Willb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434049448.186933.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	79647Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434049461.886512.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	79648

Well we picked up the unit yesterday... Needless to say I was very disappointed in the PDI as usual. They hadn't fixed any of the issues that had been addressed, 2 of te living room blinds weren't even attached at the bottom and couldn't be raised, the residential fridge is leaning to far back and is not allowing the freezer to close all the way, the Lippert linc pad will only work when plugged into the usb (and no one can answer why), water inside the front led strip. Dump valve handle colors were mixed up. During the walk through the guy closed up one of the rear slides into the bathroom door causing damage to the bracket. After close to 3 hours I was finally on the road.

Now to address the ac, I was told by the salesman and tech the main unit is a 15 BTU and the front is a 13.5. They had the main dump open and the unit set at 61 all day under a car port with no direct sun (outside temp 100). The front ac was turned all the way up as well. When I closed the dump it became almost unbearable inside the unit... According to the tech this is because the duct is a single run and does not narrow to force air out of the vents meaning all the airflow goes to the front bedroom and rear bath, pretty much bypassing the entire back bedroom and living room. He also advised that if my front unit was ducted it would force more air into the living room etc, estimated expense over 1k for this to happen. They used duct tape and completely shut off the front bedroom and tapered down the front and rear baths to try and force more air into the main area, then recommended I leave the main bedroom door open and run both full blast.

My parents and good friends have 5ers the same size with 2 acs, they both are like ice boxes....... This is completely ridiculous, I endured I purchased a unit with a second ac to ensure there was enough flow to cool the trailer, I do understand it will take some time to cool down and will run pretty much all day in the Texas Heat, but to have 2 units running full blast the entire day and still be sweating inside is unacceptable.........

SK2 Camping Crew
2010 Ford F-350 Lariat
2015 Heritage Glen 356QB
Old 06-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

Linc pad. Click on wifi then click on the Linc option similar to picking a wifi on a ipad.

For some reason mine loses connection constantly and will lose the option buttons: slide, legs, etc.

Fridge: mine is the same way. We have a permanent spot so I removed the steel holding bracket that's propping your door open. Since you yow yours, I wouldn't do that as the fridge could fall out.

AC reviews from years ago complained about this issue but nothing since is I assumed that it was fixed as there are more vents.

We pay our own electric so I am not happy nor want a compressor running non stop and we haven't hit 90's till today.

Problem with using the front damper open is the kids room was over 80's which defeated the purpose of buying a camper with doors.
Willb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

The rear wheels on the fridge aren't even touching the floor, I figured I would cut some wood to slide under the wheels to allow the fridge to level out, this should correct the lean and lack of seal, hopefully .

I contacted forest river about the ac today and was advised "it's not going to cool like a house" I replied back with I shouldn't be sweating inside with the ac running all day either.

They could provide no answer and didn't seem to understand the issue.

I will be returning the unit to the dealer in between trips for a warranty claim on the ac. We have trips already booked and paid for so I will do a shake down this next weekend to see how the unit will respond over a couple days.

SK2 Camping Crew
2010 Ford F-350 Lariat
2015 Heritage Glen 356QB
Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #13

The rear wheels on the fridge aren't even touching the floor, I figured I would cut some wood to slide under the wheels to allow the fridge to level out, this should correct the lean and lack of seal, hopefully .

I contacted forest river about the ac today and was advised "it's not going to cool like a house" I replied back with I shouldn't be sweating inside with the ac running all day either.

They could provide no answer and didn't seem to understand the issue.

I will be returning the unit to the dealer in between trips for a warranty claim on the ac. We have trips already booked and paid for so I will do a shake down this next weekend to see how the unit will respond over a couple days.

SK2 Camping Crew
2010 Ford F-350 Lariat
2015 Heritage Glen 356QB
Old 06-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #14

I joined this forum because I was specifically reading this thread and became a bit put off to the complaints of the 356QB. I was really interested in this model, but I think I'm going to be scratching it off my short list.
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #15
Mark & Cindy Labbe

HG 356QBQ Purchase or Not?

I've seen some negative reviews HG 356QBQ purchases, but there are definitely more positive reviews than negative. If you follow these forums on a regular basis, you will find these mixed reviews on most rv's in the general sense. We are a new owner of a 2015 356QBQ and I have to say we are very happy with our purchase, we have had no problems and have nothing but good to say about our purchase. We have been out every weekend since 4/11/15 and are currently ending our t day trip to Lake George. I have seen many positive reviews of this model. I think the most important thing anyone needs to consider when buying a rv is the the dealer. Our dealer was excellent and will stand behind what they sell. Secondly, inspect all the systems and exterior features before taking delivery. If you don't understand the mechanics of a rv, try to find someone that does to inspect it with you. I am a owner of a aerospace manufacturing facility and have a vast back ground in how products are manufactured so it was not an issue for me inspecting my purchase top to bottom. If you read these forums you will find that the whole industry has poor quality systems and practices when manufacturing these units. This is not the auto or aerospace industry folks when the quality systems are very stringen. You are at risk of having issues on a new unit and may have a few issues. If you are not willing to take these risks when buying a new unit, you should not buy a rv at all. There are quite a few of us that have purchased the 356QBQ with minor issues or no issues at all. The individual who bought the unit in this thread defiantly had issues, but I don't think the issues they had represent the norm.
I just wanted to add my opinion because we are happy and pleased with our purchase and would recommend the 356QBQ to any one. Word of advise, find a good respected dealer when you make you purchase, that will be you key to success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150411_104415.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	80099  
marklabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #16

I would agree with Mark, this is our second wildwood and overall are pleased. Our dealer should have caught and fixed a majority of our issues during the PDI prior to our walk through.... Most of the dealers service after sales is horrible.

My parents have purchased 2 XLR's and have had some issues with both as well as sine friends with a crossroads.

You just have to hope your unit was built on Tuesday not Friday

SK2 Camping Crew
2010 Ford F-350 Lariat
2015 Heritage Glen 356QB
Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #17

I wouldn't exclude this floor an because of some people having issues. Look around the forums not just Forest River, but look at other brands also and there is equal complaining. People love Ford, I recently lemoned a truck from them. Doesn't mean they are all bad. Same goes with the RV industry.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #18

I have one and I don't have any complaints about the model. I actually like it more than the other ones because where else are you going to get a 38 foot RV with a floor plan like this that you can tow with a 1/2 ton pickup. That right there is a huge plus for me. I didn't have to trade trucks. I'm not driving across the USA though so what works for me may not work for someone else. We camp fairly close to home, which is what most people do, only on Internet forums do you get the full time RV'ers that put thousands of miles on per year, their needs are different.

The kids get their own bedroom and bathroom is another reason we bought it. When the kids have friends over, they get a bed too. Plenty of space to sleep. It's a family friendly RV.

I have the standard RV fridge so it fits perfect, I don't have any issues with that. Come and take a look at mine if you want to see what one with no issues looks like.

I also put a Weber grill on the back instead of the camping world special that came with it.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #19

Thanks everyone! That definitely puts my mind at ease and it's back on the list. Not only that, but it's taking it place back near the top.

Now for some truck shopping...
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 AM   #20

How has everyone mounted the bunkhouse tv?

SK2 Camping Crew
2010 Ford F-350 Lariat
2015 Heritage Glen 356QB