Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

New camper mattress

Just bought a 2014 28dbud. The mattress it came with is not comfortable. Anyone have any ideas or have already purchased a good one?
kcsmjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Memory foam topper mattress (can be purchased in different thickness). Purchased ours at Walmart and made a large improvement.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

We bought a 4 inch queen-sized topper from Walmart "canopy branded" for our last rv and another for the current 2011 model. About $100 but best $100 spent on rv. Check measurements. A little extra won't hurt. Let it "inflate" with windows open for a couple days. They make them in different sizes. We also puchased a sealy hide-abed mattress for last unit from a furniture store that was very good and exact size.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

We did buy a topper but doesn't seem to make a difference. Thinking we just need a new mattress.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

We just put on our perfect harmony mattress topper today. It is a memory foam topper. Haven't slept on it yet but it should certainly improve sleep quality.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Team

I brought a Mattress-in-a-box from Wal-Mart which I find very comfortable. My local MW had two types to select from. It was around $200 but WM said it was returnable if it wasn't comfortable. Before buying the mattress I tried an 4 in topper but still could feel the plywood.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Getting ready to order this (5.5" Elation Cool-MAX® Gel Foam RV Mattress II) for about $350 from Mattressinsider.com. Bought my last mattress from them and was comfortable for the money. Mattress toppers don't seem to work on really cheap mattresses, for me anyway. Last one I bought from them was comfortable, but of course, it was a different size than my new camper.

Gotta have a decent bed.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

If you have tryed a good mem-foam mattress topper 4" or 6" already without good enough results there may be no choice but replace mattress. Too bad as the topper can also allow for the use of residential sheets with better fit.
I would have never slept in our's without it as the coils could be felt.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

We only use Sleep Number at home and in our 26' Sunseeker. Camping World has the best price for short queen. Just have to know rounded or square bottom edges.
Easy to install. Just need to find a spot to plug in the pump and store the pump. I have a single drawer on the passenger side of the vehicle. I pulled out the drawer and found tons of space under and behind that drawer for the pump (right in front of the taillight). I drilled a 1" hole behind the mattress into that location to feed hoses and power to the bed.

Love sleep number because both can set whatever hardness/softness they want. I you get sick - no more bed sores. You just change the pressure to select different contact pressure points. Should run about $800 for short queen.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

Wow thx guys for all the fast replies!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Getting ready to order this (5.5" Elation Cool-MAX® Gel Foam RV Mattress II) for about $350 from Mattressinsider.com. Bought my last mattress from them and was comfortable for the money. Mattress toppers don't seem to work on really cheap mattresses, for me anyway. Last one I bought from them was comfortable, but of course, it was a different size than my new camper.

Gotta have a decent bed.
Need to provide us with feedback on how cool the cool max keeps you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

Leave the factory mattress there and put one of these on top of it. Amazon.com - Mozaic Queen Size 10-Inch Futon Mattress, Ivory -

the cover is zippered so you can remove material from the ends if needed to match the rv length. Turns the bed into dreamland! Bet money I sent.
TN_VA_CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #13

My wife and I couldn't handle the factory mattress that came with our wildwood, it was a queen. Went to Bob Mills and Bought a cheap Queen that's a lot more comfortable than the RV one. The only real difference between an rv queen and a regular queen was 5 inches in length! Ours hangs off a little bit, but there's nothing else at that part of the RV so we just go with it. Heck of an improvement.
hannibaljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
Need to provide us with feedback on how cool the cool max keeps you

Bed is very comfortable. We like foam mattresses. As for the coolness, I guess. I didn't notice any big difference. That being said, we also just bought a icomfort foam mattress for the house. Supposed to have coolness as well. Again, we didn't notice any real difference from the Tempurpedic, that we replaced and they are supposed to be very warm. Then again, I just turn the AC colder at night.

The foam mattress is far, far more comfortable than the one that came with camper. I feel it was money well spent.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Bed is very comfortable. We like foam mattresses. As for the coolness, I guess. I didn't notice any big difference. That being said, we also just bought a icomfort foam mattress for the house. Supposed to have coolness as well. Again, we didn't notice any real difference from the Tempurpedic, that we replaced and they are supposed to be very warm. Then again, I just turn the AC colder at night.

The foam mattress is far, far more comfortable than the one that came with camper. I feel it was money well spent.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Several years ago, we replaced our short queen mattress with one from Original Mattress Factory. We picked out one we liked in the showroom and custom ordered it in the short queen size. Believe they charged $50 extra at the time. It's now in the 4th camper since buying it.
Den47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:

Gotta have a decent bed.
I bought this mattress last week. I bottomed out at 235 lbs although they claim it will support two 250 lb people. I sent them an email & still have received no reply or acknowledgment. Also don't set too much stock in their testimonials. It appears that they cull the bad ones as they did not publish mine and I found no others that were in any way critical of their product. On the plus side, they shipped very quickly. You might have better luck than I did if you get the thicker mattress or weigh considerably less.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #18

We are 4 days in to a 3 week road trip and after one night realized the mattress was not going to work. We bought the 4" memory foam from Walmart (queen size) the next night and it has made a huge difference. Now if only we could operate the Ac and the microwave at the same time..
Rainydayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #19

We bought 2 1" foam mattress from camping world for $30 ea. They worked great for a 25 day trip.
everett.devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #20

Replaced ours with a 6" true queen from ikea.
The original developed a sag in the middle after the first week and was very uncomfortable from the start.

Current location: Camping on Lake of the Woods

Tags
camper