Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

New Michelin XPS Tires

I've been sitting on the fence for a year now and finally pulled the trigger on a set of Michelin (LT 245 75R 16 E 120/116 QLRE) tires for my Wildcat.
I had lost all my confidence in the ST tires, so figured I'd try something new.
Very happy with my decision. So hopefully my constant worrying about losing another tire will be significantly diminished.
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

You will not be disappointed. I have 4 years on my XPS tires and they are just great. Personally I would rather spend the extra money on the tires than on TPMS that tells you that you are having the problem you desperately want to avoid.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
I've been sitting on the fence for a year now and finally pulled the trigger on a set of Michelin (LT 245 75R 16 E 120/116 QLRE) tires for my Wildcat.
I had lost all my confidence in the ST tires, so figured I'd try something new.
Very happy with my decision. So hopefully my constant worrying about losing another tire will be significantly diminished.
IMO only they make the best tire, I have them a different model on my TV but can't put them on my trailer wish I could YOU will not be sorry, money well spent....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
Personally I would rather spend the extra money on the tires than on TPMS that tells you that you are having the problem you desperately want to avoid.

Personally, I did both. And, that TPMS quickly alerted me to a nail in my tire when I went to pickup the camper from the repair shop a couple of weeks ago.

It's easily to pickup a road hazard anywhere- the TPMS is just another tool.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Did you get a warranty package with your Michelin tires? This qualifying/disqualifying statement is found on page #2.

“Use of MICHELIN tires that is inconsistent with the safety and/or
maintenance information provided in your owner’s manual.”

http://media.michelinman.com/content...utmk=188430316

Michelin fully supports Tire Industry Standards. Some of the most important ones are within this reference;

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

The Michelin LT245/75R16E has a minimum rim width of 6.5”.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

I had a set of Ribs on my last trailer. While they weren't rated to carry as much weight as the STs that came off they still worked great. My combined axle weight was under 10,000# according to the weight slip I got at a Rally, so I had plenty of reserve. Never had a problem in 4 years and about 30,000 miles. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if they were rated high enough for my current trailer. Compare the sidewall thickness to an ST tire and they're like a bicycle tire next to the Ribs.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I had a set of Ribs on my last trailer. While they weren't rated to carry as much weight as the STs that came off they still worked great. My combined axle weight was under 10,000# according to the weight slip I got at a Rally, so I had plenty of reserve. Never had a problem in 4 years and about 30,000 miles. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if they were rated high enough for my current trailer. Compare the sidewall thickness to an ST tire and they're like a bicycle tire next to the Ribs.
Tires are not fitted to RV trailers according to weight. They are fitted to each axle's GAWR as deemed appropriate by the trailer's manufacturer.

Part of the sidewall thickness you mention is in the form of sidewall inserts to help the commercially designed tire ward off curb scrub damages.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

In my opinion, you get what you pay for and the Michelin Man wins with Firestone LT 10 plies running second.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #9

Another vote for the Michelin XPS. I've run them on a few trailers with zero failures. My current trailer was a week old when I put them on. No regrets.
Mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

Mr Airdale ... I may read you incorrectly, but it seems you have a distaste for using LT tires on TT's and fivers. That's fine as it's your own personal preference ... however ... there are boat loads and boat loads of us that run LT tires within their load ratings on our units with total peace of mind. My SOB 05 Montana 2850RK was delivered straight from the factory with LT tires on it and they served me well for 5 years till I traded her off. The ST Marabombs that came on my 2011 didn't last 3000 miles before they started developing tread separation so I went with Michelin LT's without hesitation. You might consider laying aside the tambourine on some of these tire discussions ... just sayin. If I read you totally wrong ... apologies
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Mr Airdale ... I may read you incorrectly, but it seems you have a distaste for using LT tires on TT's and fivers. That's fine as it's your own personal preference ... however ... there are boat loads and boat loads of us that run LT tires within their load ratings on our units with total peace of mind. My SOB 05 Montana 2850RK was delivered straight from the factory with LT tires on it and they served me well for 5 years till I traded her off. The ST Marabombs that came on my 2011 didn't last 3000 miles before they started developing tread separation so I went with Michelin LT's without hesitation. You might consider laying aside the tambourine on some of these tire discussions ... just sayin. If I read you totally wrong ... apologies
Up until 2005 Keystone used ST tires on just about everything they built. Then in 2005 they switched over to LT tires and did so again in 2006. For the most part the failure rate for the LTs in 05 & 06 mirrored the failure rate for ST tires from 2007 forward. One of the brands (Mission) is no longer around. The Uniroyal - a Michelin tire - is still around. In 2007 just about everything ST from Keystone was USA made Marathons from GY.

The story about tire designs for RV trailers is complex and riddled with misunderstandings.

Because Manufacturer "A" fit's their vehicles with LT tires does not open the door for LT fitments on other manufacturer's units not so equipped. The sole responsibility for Original Equipment tires on your trailer was the manufacturer's choice. All DOT highway tires qualify for use on RV trailer axles. It's the trailer manufacturer's responsibility to insure the OE fitments are appropriate for that particular trailer or line of trailers.

Replacement tires get complicated because of tire industry standards. The tire industry is very reluctant to recommend replacement tires not approved by the vehicle manufacturer. And, none of them will knowingly replace a tire with one not able to provide the load capacity the OE tires provided.

To understand why it's that way requires a thorough knowledge of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Those standards contain the minimum standards vehicle manufacturers must provide with every vehicle they build and certify. Within those documents the vehicle manufacturer is directed to fit your trailer with appropriate tires and the recommended inflation pressures to insure there is enough load capacity at all times to safely carry your trailer down the road.

Vehicle certification is the final step the manufacturer does before shipping the trailer out to their retailers. Certification is a sworn statement in the form of a placard located on the LH forward external section of the trailer. It list the tires size (s), basic rim size (s), and the recommended cold inflation pressures for the tires. You can find certification by searching for 49 CFR Part 567.

The automotive industry has pre-approved lists of replacement tires for all sorts of vehicles. The RV trailer industry does not have such lists. So, you have to rely on a trusted tire retailer for your RV trailer tire replacement needs. A knowledgeable retailer will ask for your tire placard requirements. Other's may just not know anything about ST tires.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Did you get a warranty package with your Michelin tires? This qualifying/disqualifying statement is found on page #2.

“Use of MICHELIN tires that is inconsistent with the safety and/or
maintenance information provided in your owner’s manual.”

http://media.michelinman.com/content...utmk=188430316

Michelin fully supports Tire Industry Standards. Some of the most important ones are within this reference;

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

The Michelin LT245/75R16E has a minimum rim width of 6.5”.

Road Hazard Warranty was an added cost that I did purchase if that's what you were asking.
My rims were 7" so I had no issues with my rims and the tires.
Glad too hear that others love the tires and they worked out very well on the trailer. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #13

I have been running XPS RIB since our Cardinal was a year old. Finally had to replace them because of age (10 years), not wear.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #14

LT tires on trailer

Do I hear a consensus opinion that LT tires (e.g. XPS) on my trailer are the 'best' and 'safest' option out there? My trailer tires are getting up there in age and need to be replaced. Many many miles of dirt roads and too many years on them. I can afford the extra cost as a trade-off for my families safety.
rrfullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #15

"It's being aware of something, and having information. Knowledge is really about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, or experience. Wisdom is the ability to discern and judge which aspects of that knowledge are true, right, lasting, and applicable to life."

Mr Airdale. You post with a lot of knowledge to the point of annoyance. I recommend you get away from your computer and put some miles on your rv and gain some wisdom.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
"It's being aware of something, and having information. Knowledge is really about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, or experience. Wisdom is the ability to discern and judge which aspects of that knowledge are true, right, lasting, and applicable to life."

Mr Airdale. You post with a lot of knowledge to the point of annoyance. I recommend you get away from your computer and put some miles on your rv and gain some wisdom.
You mean something like this?

Stories about our RV parking places
Old 11-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfullmer View Post
Do I hear a consensus opinion that LT tires (e.g. XPS) on my trailer are the 'best' and 'safest' option out there? My trailer tires are getting up there in age and need to be replaced. Many many miles of dirt roads and too many years on them. I can afford the extra cost as a trade-off for my families safety.
YES it's time to make the change, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #18
Always Learning

New Michelin XPS Tires

Quote:

Not for me. I looked at a lot of options and opted for 17.5" rims and commercial trailer tires.

http://learntorv.com/major-tire-whee...er-overloaded/
Old 11-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I think so, but they don't sell them in my size, so I went with the next most recommended Maxxis ST 8008, I do have them on my TV. But I'm a big Michelin fan, a different modle M/S. Two years old and still look new. I would go for them if you have a rim that they will fit on, and your correct nothing safer for the family and others on the road, I like your thinking

Old 11-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

LT vs. ST

I agree with this part of your statement, I know of no tirer dealer that will put LT on my trailer being my placecard states approved with ST tires at least not here in Virginia. The part I agree with is :Replacement tires get complicated because of tire industry standards. The tire industry is very reluctant to recommend replacement tires not approved by the vehicle manufacturer. And, none of them will knowingly replace a tire with one not able to provide the load capacity the OE tires provided.... I would have to change rims, and why when Maxxis makes a very good ST tire 8008 ST high speed. Also IMO only you shouldn't be pulling a 5er over 65 mph anyway.

Tags
tire, tires