Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

New owner of 28DBUD with a couple questions

Enjoyed lurking here. Lots of great info. We live in the DFW area and purchased from the notorious Fun Town in Cleburne, TX. We camped for two nights right after purchase using all the systems. It went quite well. PDI was ok, but somewhat frustrating. The guy doing it told me twice he was just an hourly worker when I complained of a couple things. I know I bought on the lower end of travel trailers, but it was about as personal as checking out at the grocery store. So, I'm at all cost trying to avoid going back there.

So far, the only problems:

1)Lower Window treatment bracket that pulled out of the wall. Fixed myself. It was too tight. Relocated it up an inch.

2)Broken latch on pull drawer under jackknife couch. Fixed it for now myself, but ultimately need a new latch. I'll order and do it myself.

3)Battery cover won't latch due to the battery cables. Found it sitting on the A frame after getting home from the dealer. I'll just cut away a little of the battery box near each terminal to allow room for the cables and then box will close.

4)One of the drawers between the fridge and bunks wouldn't stay closed. It fixed itself somehow.

5)Small dent in fake plastic diamond plate on front. That's on order. This was my first moment of irritation with PDI. The guy said it wasn't there fault. Probably happened on the way there from a highway rock. He was going to brush it off. Needless to say, words were exchanged and he made note of it. Again emphasizing he's an hourly guy. I don't get that, but whatever. Figure we'll see that around Christmas 2017. We will have to go back for this.

6)I can see a couple staples in the ceiling in bedroom, but it sounds like something I can dab some paint onto.

7)The awning switch appeared to be reversed. This is actually my fault I think... Thinking I rolled it out too far and wound it in backwards. I'll address this when we camp again next weekend.

I'm trying to avoid a trip to Fun Town unless something is really a hard break as its 60'ish miles each way.

Now, the questions....

1)When the slide is in, I can see a little daylight inside on the floor where the slide meets the wall near the bedroom. Everything appears to be in place, so just wondering if this is normal.

2)On the underside where some wires run into the fabric covering there a bit of a gap. I'm wondering if when driving in rain, water will enter there and then pool, weighing it down and ripping it?

3)My grey filled up really fast on our two night trip. When I drained it, it came out with some pretty good force. Odd thing is, it actually did it twice. Drained for a bit and then after jigging the trailer around a bit it started up again. Normal or was something maybe clogging it from the factory?

4)When running the hot water heater, I tried to run it electric and gas at once. Had some overflow from the valve on the outside. Is this normal, or was it heating up too much using both sources?

5)Water Pump vibration. When I used the FW tank, if a faucet was on full, the pump was fairly loud and the vibrations could be felt in the floor. If I ran at lower flow from the faucet or two faucets in full it wasn't nearly as bad. Is this normal? I pulled the panel and the pump appears to be secure.

Finally here's a pic. We are actually really happy with the trailer. Had a great couple nights in it on that first trip. I'm actually quite pleased that I've only had these small issues so far.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new purchase. I feel your pain with Fun-Time. When I arrived home last week with my 27RKSS the battery box cover was missing and retaining strap dangling on the ground. You seem like you have all your minor problems solved-good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Regarding your questions
2- needs to be sealed either with tape or lightweight foam sealant.

3- Can't help here

4- The OP/OH valve might just need to be bumped if there is-was dirt under valve seat, if it keeps leaking have it replaced.

5- If the pump is mounted solidly and still causes vibration, you might consider mounting on rubber grommets.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
Regarding your questions
2- needs to be sealed either with tape or lightweight foam sealant.

3- Can't help here

4- The OP/OH valve might just need to be bumped if there is-was dirt under valve seat, if it keeps leaking have it replaced.

5- If the pump is mounted solidly and still causes vibration, you might consider mounting on rubber grommets.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the rubber grommet idea. My battery box didn't even have a strap of any kind. I had to use a bungee chord.

I've read about the black landscape foam, but what kind of tape would work for that under area? Tape would be easier to work with.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Good bet there are no drain holes in the bottom of the battery box. Water will get in. I drilled one in opposite corners. Also my battery box was not fastened to the trailer. I asked dealer and the answer was "they are all like that".

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

I'd better look into that closer. Thanks for the heads up on that.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

Welcome and congrats,

We feel your pain with fun town, we are on our second purchase from them and my last pdi took close to 3 hours after the "tech" damaged our rear door pulling in a slide.

I will say I have had good luck with Stacey who works at the service center on 174.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

I like Gorilla tape
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #9

Congrats on the new rig

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new rig.

3) My grey filled up really fast on our two night trip -
I found that running kitchen sinks full of water and lots of rinse water would fill my little galley tank right quick. So I kind of pretend I'm backpacking and don't have a lot of water to use, so I use less. Alternately, you could leave the drain valve slightly open to allow continuous drainage. Just be sure to close it to allow it to fill so you get good swirling action when you dump. Others can chime in on cracking the drain valve open, for and against.

4) Hot water heater relief valve leaking -
Your relief valve may have had a bit of construction debris caught in it, not allowing it to seat completely. With the heater off and the water cold, pressurize either with city water or your pump and lift the lever briefly to let water flow for a couple of seconds. Be SURE to stand to the side or you will get wet britches. Don't ask me how I know...
That should allow the debris to be washed out and the valve to seat properly.

5) Water Pump vibration.
The pump is most likely mounted on a VERY thin piece of what is generously called plywood. That acts as a sounding board, it amplifies the noise. The rubber grommets will act as an isolator and hopefully dampen the vibration. You could also use some neoprene rubber gasket material or some have used an old mouse pad.

Good luck and enjoy making memories.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new rig.

3) My grey filled up really fast on our two night trip -
I found that running kitchen sinks full of water and lots of rinse water would fill my little galley tank right quick. So I kind of pretend I'm backpacking and don't have a lot of water to use, so I use less. Alternately, you could leave the drain valve slightly open to allow continuous drainage. Just be sure to close it to allow it to fill so you get good swirling action when you dump. Others can chime in on cracking the drain valve open, for and against.

4) Hot water heater relief valve leaking -
Your relief valve may have had a bit of construction debris caught in it, not allowing it to seat completely. With the heater off and the water cold, pressurize either with city water or your pump and lift the lever briefly to let water flow for a couple of seconds. Be SURE to stand to the side or you will get wet britches. Don't ask me how I know...
That should allow the debris to be washed out and the valve to seat properly.

5) Water Pump vibration.
The pump is most likely mounted on a VERY thin piece of what is generously called plywood. That acts as a sounding board, it amplifies the noise. The rubber grommets will act as an isolator and hopefully dampen the vibration. You could also use some neoprene rubber gasket material or some have used an old mouse pad.

Good luck and enjoy making memories.

Chris in Virginia

Thanks for the pointers. I think we might have filled that grey quickly because I didn't really explain to the wife how it worked. All part of the learning curve for us.

I'll definitely mess with that hot water heater valve, and then eventually do something with water pump maybe when I install a valve for antifreeze.

On a side note, I already got soaked once by the hot water heater when I pulled the anode to drain expecting cold temp when I put it in storage last.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax