Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

New Owner Q: Stabilizer Jacks

Hi - have been camping in a travel trailer for a little over a decade but we just upgraded to a 282 wildwood with the outdoor kitchen and all the automatic/remote control jacks and stuff.

our last camper had scissor jacks on it and we were warned do not use those to level, do not over torque them so on so on.

so i'm paranoid with these automatic jacks.. are these also not designed for leveling? i push the button is see them make contact i go just a little further and i stop...

the motors seem quite happy to keep on lifting but i'm afraid i will damage them... do they automatically stop and i shouldn't be afraid to keep lifting?
redwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

It rather depends on what kind of jacks they are.

If they are stabilizer jacks, then you shouldn't use them for leveling.

My camper has electric stabilizer jacks with a remote. No good for leveling.
If they are leveling jacks or part of an automatic leveling system, then you are good to go.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

the buttons on the remote say stabilizer jacks and landing gear... my concern is them not having an automatic shut off... i haven't really pushed them far enough to see if they have it or not. usually by the time i setup camp i've only had 1 maybe 2 beers.. not enough to start breaking things.
redwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
the buttons on the remote say stabilizer jacks and landing gear... my concern is them not having an automatic shut off... i haven't really pushed them far enough to see if they have it or not. usually by the time i setup camp i've only had 1 maybe 2 beers.. not enough to start breaking things.
On mine, one switch (or the remote) controls both jacks. One always hits the ground first and stops while the other one continues down.

I just run them down until they are both firmly planted and then I let off the button. I haven't tried it but I'm almost certain that I'd either pop a fuse or break something if I let them continue to extend.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

If you mean these...
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...FZu3wAod5bgI6w

The way mine are made...the center section slides back and forth as the retract and extend. This causes one side to touch first until it centers again. Then it applies more pressure to both evenly.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #6

They are not for leveling. Most will stall before they do any damage. (resettable breakers)
Level rig with boards/blocks, run them down till they strain then stop.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

My Wildwood advises "Do Not Use Jacks As A Leveling Device". Yes...justa little extra pressure after touching the ground and then STOP!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

On mine if you keep going they blow the breaker. The guys doing the PDI put them up to far and they stopped working. After watching that I don't test it.

I have watched others with same stabilizers level front to back with them and not use the tongue jack but I would not try it. I have used mine to hold while dropping the foot on the tongue jack. I don't see how you could level sideways with them.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #9

Don't use the for leveling, I have the same stabilizers on my TT .
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Still learning about my trailer... Great posts helping me through this!
Found the remote panel and fuses... Under the fridge on mine; right next to the water pump :-)

In my case, the remote stabilizers work fine, it's the switch mounted to the trailer that does not work. I read on here that they are two independent power systems... Any clue where the primary fuse is located (front stabilizer.)
2015 Wildwood 28'dbhd
Jhkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhkahuna View Post
Still learning about my trailer... Great posts helping me through this!
Found the remote panel and fuses... Under the fridge on mine; right next to the water pump :-)

In my case, the remote stabilizers work fine, it's the switch mounted to the trailer that does not work. I read on here that they are two independent power systems... Any clue where the primary fuse is located (front stabilizer.)
2015 Wildwood 28'dbhd

Bump... Anyone?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
That's funny right there! ROFL!!!
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Bene Gesserit Rule

You will get the same advice everywhere... the rear stabilisers are just for keeping the van steady when you are dancing around the living space, stops the seasickness syndrome.

The front landing legs are for supporting the bulk of the weight of the van, along with the wheels/axles, and can be used to ASSIST with levelling. You should use packing (expensive plastic rubbish or cheap but heavy sections of timber - get the drift here) under the wheels first, then use packing (again short timber blocks, bricks, used kids toys, nah, too fragile) under ONE of the legs (or both if needed) to 'tune' the level.

Most of us have mounted a spirit level under the nose (of a 5th wheel) to give a rough guide to level, then check with a 'proper' spirit level inside the van on the floor and/or counter top. Remember to check both nth/sth and e/w directions before you unhook.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #14

My question was related to the stabilizer fuse location.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Camp Bartender

My wife and I have them on our 28dbud. She usually puts the jacks down. She puts them down until they stop. Depending on how the trailer settles or if the ground is soft, I have to adjust them a few times a trip. I personally dislike them as I dont think they really stop any side to side swaying.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks