Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

New Trailer!

Well, I originally planned on getting the 201BHXL but ended up getting a 2018 Wildwood X-Lite 230BHXL. Taking delivery of it on Sunday! Someone already purchased the used trailer I was looking at and they offered me a decent deal on the 2018. Super excited to learn about what I need and growing with our first trailer! Any advice for the first time owner? (I plan on searching the forums as well).
Chaddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Take a "camping trip" in the driveway for a weekend first. Stock the unit with the bare necessities, such as kitchen ware, toiletries, towels, linens and food etc.
During the weekend, make a list of other things that you need, and another list of "wants". Then, get the "needs" either from the house, or the store. Decide whether the "wants" are really needed or not. Go from there.
My unit stays stocked with non-perishable food, and enough other stuff that I just have to stock up the perishable food in the fridge and go. The unit is plugged in, and the fridge is on all summer. That way I don't have to wait a whole day for the refrigerator to cool.
Basically, I have a mobile, mini home that I can leave with on short notice. This way, I don't have to spend a lot of effort getting ready to go camping.
But, that's just me.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

By the way, welcome aboard. Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

WELCOME
and
Quote:
Take a "camping trip" in the driveway for a weekend first.
Best advise...

Also think about what you will need in case of a flat tire on the road... maybe a hydraulic jack, some blocks of 2x6 or 2x8 lumber, a breaker bar and sockets for those wheels, should they have to come off on the road.

And a TST 507RV 4 sensor tire pressure monitor system... TPMS... tons of threads on here about the necessity of a TPMS on your trailer.

Also, depending on your wallet and distances involved, many have opted for better tires then the China made tires that are currently on your rig. Goodyear earlier this year introduced a made in America trailer tire called the Endurance. Many people of jumped on them... again tons of threads discussing the perceived need to change out of those "China bombs" but some have and some have not.

Good luck with the new trailer...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #5

Welcome, and Congrats on your new Wildwood X-Lite 230BHXL. You are going to love this camper. Nice open layout and very spacious. Easy pull and great tracking down the road. Easy maneuvering as well.

We have one similar to yours, without the bunks. The Salem Cruise Lite series is the sister to the Wildwood.

You have already been given some great advice. There is so much more at your fingertips by using the search box above. A great tool leading to a world of valuable information / advice.

After a couple trips out you will begin to know what is, and what isn't needed / wanted. Take a notebook and make notes as you think of them. I guarantee, you'll still forget something.

Once again....Welcome and Congrats from Southern Illinois.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Thank you RSData!!

If you have any questions about the TST TPMS RS Data referred to in the above thread please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I am always available for any FROG Member.

Thanks,

Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 AM   #7

Congrats and welcome.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrtrucker View Post
Take a "camping trip" in the driveway for a weekend first. Stock the unit with the bare necessities, such as kitchen ware, toiletries, towels, linens and food etc.
During the weekend, make a list of other things that you need, and another list of "wants". Then, get the "needs" either from the house, or the store. Decide whether the "wants" are really needed or not. Go from there.
My unit stays stocked with non-perishable food, and enough other stuff that I just have to stock up the perishable food in the fridge and go. The unit is plugged in, and the fridge is on all summer. That way I don't have to wait a whole day for the refrigerator to cool.
Basically, I have a mobile, mini home that I can leave with on short notice. This way, I don't have to spend a lot of effort getting ready to go camping.
But, that's just me.
Same here. Toss in some clothes, some cold food and beverages and down the road we go.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrtrucker View Post
But, that's just me.
We did the exact same thing...! I also leave the trailer stocked with everything but items that have a short shelf life, this way you always ready to go. If you cant park in your drive take it to a location nearby, I wouldn't travel far the first few trips (Work the kinks out).

and most of all - HAVE FUN!

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for the advice!! We have been super excited about picking it up. In the mean time...I have been searching for information in the forums
Old 10-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

We are all full of it....😁
Old 10-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Thank you RSData!!

If you have any questions about the TST TPMS RS Data referred to in the above thread please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I am always available for any FROG Member.

Thanks,

Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
Thanks! My father-in-law bought us something close to this for us. Once we get it, I will look to see what kind it is.

Chad
Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #14

Really don't want to overload you, BUT the day you get it, your dealer will give you a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Ask a lot of questions and take notes or video. He/she should show you how every system works. It's too much info, but very important. Mine took 4 hours with my first trailer, and 3 with my next one.

Again, ask questions and take notes.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

You say you're picking it up on Sunday. That seems like an odd day; most dealers (at least around me) are closed on Sunday.

In any case, make the dealer go over EVERYTHING with you (this is called the PDI). I've attached a link to a PDI checklist; some things may not be applicable to your unit, but make sure you go over everything that IS applicable. Download it, print it out, and take it with you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112

Make sure the dealer puts city water on the unit, so you know there are no leaks; have him fill the water heater and fire it up for you. Make sure he shows you how to operate it on both gas and electric. Same for the refrigerator.

Make sure he shows you where the water pump is located, as well as the water heater's bypass valves, and how to use them to winterize the unit.

If your unit has a battery disconnect switch, make sure he shows it to you and how to use it.

Good luck and welcome.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You say you're picking it up on Sunday. That seems like an odd day; most dealers (at least around me) are closed on Sunday.

In any case, make the dealer go over EVERYTHING with you (this is called the PDI). I've attached a link to a PDI checklist; some things may not be applicable to your unit, but make sure you go over everything that IS applicable. Download it, print it out, and take it with you.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Make sure the dealer puts city water on the unit, so you know there are no leaks; have him fill the water heater and fire it up for you. Make sure he shows you how to operate it on both gas and electric. Same for the refrigerator.

Make sure he shows you where the water pump is located, as well as the water heater's bypass valves, and how to use them to winterize the unit.

If your unit has a battery disconnect switch, make sure he shows it to you and how to use it.

Good luck and welcome.
Thank you soooo much for this!!!

Chad
Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddd View Post
Thank you soooo much for this!!!

Chad
You're welcome. Lousy PDI's seems to pretty common. Don't let him rush you. (Some people record it with their cell phones; then they have it for later.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Multi-Slacker

from Southern California

You haven't said where you are or what your TV (tow vehicle) is. Have you calculated your TV's payload? Do you have a WD (weight distribution) hitch? Make your 1st trips to a local campground so that you can practice hitching and unhitching. If, like us, you don't have practice backing up a trailer, practice at the campground and anywhere else you can. Consider an observation/backup camera. Practice you campground hookups. Have a checklist for the CG arrival and a "pre-flight" checklist.

We keep our trailer stocked with non-perishable items and some clothes for the season. This time of year, forgetting a warm jacket or not having a spare pair of shoes could be a disaster. Are you going to want a toaster, coffee maker or other appliances for the trailer? Portable grills make outside cooking more fun. A propane fill gauge is nice to have. Do you have a sewer hose? Coax cable for the TV? A drinking water hose? A water pressure regulator and an electrical surge protector are cheap insurance. Do you have RV roadside assistance?

Making your 1st trip local means an easier recovery from any "disasters" and allows you to make lists of all the gear that you are going to want as you travel. It'll give you a start on storage organization.

Sorry about the lack of organization.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #19

Hello and congrats from Arkansas.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
from Southern California

You haven't said where you are or what your TV (tow vehicle) is. Have you calculated your TV's payload? Do you have a WD (weight distribution) hitch? Make your 1st trips to a local campground so that you can practice hitching and unhitching. If, like us, you don't have practice backing up a trailer, practice at the campground and anywhere else you can. Consider an observation/backup camera. Practice you campground hookups. Have a checklist for the CG arrival and a "pre-flight" checklist.

We keep our trailer stocked with non-perishable items and some clothes for the season. This time of year, forgetting a warm jacket or not having a spare pair of shoes could be a disaster. Are you going to want a toaster, coffee maker or other appliances for the trailer? Portable grills make outside cooking more fun. A propane fill gauge is nice to have. Do you have a sewer hose? Coax cable for the TV? A drinking water hose? A water pressure regulator and an electrical surge protector are cheap insurance. Do you have RV roadside assistance?

Making your 1st trip local means an easier recovery from any "disasters" and allows you to make lists of all the gear that you are going to want as you travel. It'll give you a start on storage organization.

Sorry about the lack of organization.
A little about me: I am 28 and my wife is 29. We have a son that is almost 2 years old. We have been tent camping for about 4 years but have been camping our whole lives and our son has went camping about 10 times now . We are located in a suburb east of Dallas, TX.

We have a 2013 Nissan Armada with the towing packing. I installed the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller today. We have the weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars. We owned a boat for a few years before getting rid of it so that is the only experience I have for towing. Our family is big on camping (we were the only ones with a tent) so they have been graciously helping us with everything we need. We bought most of the outside accessories on amazon. Since we came from tent camping, we have a lot of the camping accessories like the outdoor grill, chairs, bucket light, extension cords, etc. The things we bought on amazon are: Telescopic ladder, lug wrench (I just wanted another one haha), swivel stik tank rinser, outdoor mat, 90 degree brass hose saver, 25' clean out hose, 25' drinking hose, water pressure regulator, water filters, leveling blocks, rhino blaster sewer tank rinser, rhino flex RV sewer hose kit, wheel chocks, and the trailer coupler lock. As far as everything else, we are going to walmart for the toaster, pots & pans, coffee maker, broom, RV toilet paper, those things you put in the tanks, etc. Am I missing anything else?

Tags
trailer