Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Hi folks....I'm the new green horn. Just got back from purchasing a 2010 26BH. Still feeling uneasy about spending all the money, but excited about the future adventures. Anyway, since I am so new, I am concerned about what to do with the whole towing stabilizer bar situation. Do you have any suggestions on what I should go with or if I even need the stabilizer bar? The tongue weight is 407 and the weight of the trailer 4050lbs unloaded. I will be pulling with my 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 V8. Sorry for the elementary questions...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #2

Bruck,
Welcome to FRF. I don't have any experience towing, but I'm sure that you will find plenty of help from knowledgeable people here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum.

That seems like a lot of trailer for a mid-sized pickup. Add about 500 lbs. to the Wildwood brochure dry weight to get what it actually weighs.....an awning, ac, propane, battery and stuff can quickly add up. Give us some more information on your pickup, including the wheelbase, final drive ratio, tow rating, and whether it has the factory tow package with aux. transmission cooler. The members here will gladly steer you in the right direction.

As far as the stabilizer bar.....not exactly sure what you are referring to. You will need a WDH setup, preferable with an integrated sway control system like the Reese Dual Cam or Equailzer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
to the forum.

That seems like a lot of trailer for a mid-sized pickup. Add about 500 lbs. to the Wildwood brochure dry weight to get what it actually weighs.....an awning, ac, propane, battery and stuff can quickly add up. Give us some more information on your pickup, including the wheelbase, final drive ratio, tow rating, and whether it has the factory tow package with aux. transmission cooler. The members here will gladly steer you in the right direction.

As far as the stabilizer bar.....not exactly sure what you are referring to. You will need a WDH setup, preferable with an integrated sway control system like the Reese Dual Cam or Equailzer.
The truck did have the factory tow package included when it was purchased originally (not by me), but it is rated up to 6600lbs for towing. Agree that it is alot of trailer for the truck, but it is something that will need to get me through until we buy the wife a Tahoe. Not sure on the other info that you requested. However, I think that you did answer my question in suggesting that we get a sway control system. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

I would go with a stablizer hitch such as a Reese hitch. You may even have to go with air bags in the rear to keep the truck level. and a transmission cooler along with electric brakes. your engine is small and will probably down shift quite a bit. I'm not sure of the weight of your trailer, but we have towed enough trailers to know that unless you have a good gear ratio in the rear and enough engine, over time you will wish you did. Congrats on the purchase. FR makes good products.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice everyone...Glad to be a new part of the community. I hope that the truck can do in the interim. All I know is that the wife and kids are wicked excited as am I. With 2 kids and dogs, it's tough to leave home. I think that we just created our own tiny escape mechanism...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #7

Welcome to FRF!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Welcome to the Forum and injoy your New Camper.
1970 Restored Cushman Trackster
Olratlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #9

Thanks everyone...After giving it some thought, I went with the Reese system that was recommended. I appreciate the guidance. Now I have to figure out how to do everything else!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #10

I think that when you are looking to buy a new vehicle you will find that even the Tahoe is not big enough to pull that trailer, my opinion I would go with the Suburban instead. The extra wheelbase with make a huge difference compared with Tahoe. Trailer length and your tow vehicle wheelbase go hand in hand.

Tags
wildwood