Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Newbie 1998 Wildwood Model?

I am thinking of upgrading from a tent to a trailer the wife and I are just getting to old to sleep on the ground and I would like a 5th wheel and I have been looking at this one I am going to buy used first to make sure I will like it, towing it and trying to back it up and I have heard the 5th wheel is the way to go
Ok my question is does anyone have any info on this trailer model or what to look for when buying?, It looks like there is a wall furnace instead of central heating is this good or is central better? this comes with a generator but I really don't need a on board generator. I have my Honda (2) EU2000

98" wildwood 5th,wheel with slide'out & gen><><
rhartman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

I'm a newbie my self bit a 5th is the way to go. It looks good from the pics but make sure your gonna be happy with what you buy. I made sure when I got my tt that it had everything I wanted. Including all electric setup. So all I do is push a button to setup and enjoy.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

I would at least walk a rv lot to see the different models. There are some really nice and affordable trailers built for two.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Thank you everyone the trailer already sold but I did a research on the dealership and out of 9 reviews only one good everyone else said they where a rip off so it all worked out
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Do plenty of homework. Look at anumber of different models / manufacturers and TAKE NOTES. Make a list of likes and dislikes and try to find a unit that fits MOST of your requirements. Took my wife and I almost 2 years of camper shows and dealer visits until we found the right match.

Beware that your TV has to be rated for whatever unit you choose.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Site Team

when asking advice for a possible trailer purchase, you should post what you'll be towing with, including all the necessary specs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartman911 View Post
I am thinking of upgrading from a tent to a trailer the wife and I are just getting to old to sleep on the ground and I would like a 5th wheel and I have been looking at this one I am going to buy used first to make sure I will like it, towing it and trying to back it up and I have heard the 5th wheel is the way to go
Ok my question is does anyone have any info on this trailer model or what to look for when buying?, It looks like there is a wall furnace instead of central heating is this good or is central better? this comes with a generator but I really don't need a on board generator. I have my Honda (2) EU2000

98" wildwood 5th,wheel with slide'out & gen><><
1997 F-350, 7.3 power stroke, 4x4, Crew Cab,8' Bed, automatic
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #8

OK, so the TV issue is out of the way. There have been alot of posts on how to go about finding a TT or 5er. Seems like most people look at floorplan first, do a boatload of homework and then accidently stumble across that perfect unit for them. i would visit as many RV dealers and shows as possible to get a feel for what options are out there and figure out what your likes and dislikes are. Our first camper was used and it gave us the opportunity to see first hand what we liked and what we didn't.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshenderson View Post
Seems like most people look at floorplan first, do a boatload of homework and then accidently stumble across that perfect unit for them.
Hey! we just did that!!
KCB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCB123 View Post
Hey! we just did that!!
Same here! Too funny- that describes us to a "T"!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Another rat in the race

Remember if you get a 5er you loose the bed so no quads or others unless you get a toy hauler or double tow. And remember also a 2000 watt geni will only power a small ac and not much else.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Start out with used is smart. That is what we did too. I found out what was important and what didn't really matter. After that we bought brand new after checking all the models and found what worked perfect for us.
Ihoneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

We jus tent for a new one because the prices for a used one were only 1-2 thousand lower. We didn't have time to go around and test everything out. We went to an RV show with seasoned RV friends and they also came with us shopping at the dealer. Gave the dealer a low ball and he accepted it. I looked for the right length and then the right setup for our needs. We've only taken two trips but they were really enjoyable! Knock some wood for us!
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #14

I mean we just went for a new one. :-)
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurarice26 View Post
We jus tent for a new one because the prices for a used one were only 1-2 thousand lower. We didn't have time to go around and test everything out. We went to an RV show with seasoned RV friends and they also came with us shopping at the dealer. Gave the dealer a low ball and he accepted it. I looked for the right length and then the right setup for our needs. We've only taken two trips but they were really enjoyable! Knock some wood for us!
We had the same experience. We looked for a used 26TBSS, while doing so the prices were only a few thousand less for a used one so we decided to go new because of the warranty and no hidden surprises. I hope when we upgrade we can get a decent price for the trade in.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood, newbie