Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Unhappy no 12volt power help!!

i bought a used 1999 wildwood toy hauler. first time getting a toy hauler. i know there is a plug to to charge the battery and while its plugged in to 110 outlet it gives power and is suppose to charge the battery then shut off when the battery is fully charged. however i get no power when the unit is unplugged. is there a switch for the battery? the batteries are connected, i get power when plugged in to 110 or when hooked up to my truck and the truck is on but otherwise nothing.. thanks for your time
jonniemotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked the Circuit breakers and fuses on the power convertor? Sorry I am not much more help. I assume the battery is good and you have had it tested? if you hook up an external charger to the battery do you get 12v in the trailer?

hang in there and someone will be along with some more help soon.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Johnie,

Look for a battery cut off switch in the red wire coming from the battery.

Also look for any small block with two threaded bolts sticking out of it with red wires attached (that is a current limiter with a reset button on it).

Also how old is the battery?
It could be too dead to take a charge.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
x2 for what Lou said.

You can take a battery tester and test the battery. The readings maybe off but you can see if your at least getting voltage. It should be about about 11.5volts up to 12.6volts give or take.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since you have 12 colts when plugged in to the truck, probably not the circuit breaker on the tongue. Since you have 12 volts when on shore power, probably not the converter or fuse. Since you have no 12 volts while on battery only, I would suspect the battery itself. Won't hols any type of charge. Get a meter and check it. If you get 12 volts, turn on a couple of lights and check again. Keep us posted.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

Lou and windrider, x3. My first thought was a dead battery also. I asked if he had the battery tested but there has been no reply from the OP.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #7

Talking thanks

thanks everyone for your input, like i said i was a newbie owner. it turned out to have a battery cut off switch. it was on the right inside the bathroom cabinet under the sink about 8 inches from the floor.i started with checking all fuses and flipping the circuit breakers. then outside i hooked up a battery charger and saw a full battery dial. i noticed some corrosion on the positive wire on the battery and i went to check it and the wire was horribly corroded. following that wire from underneath the hauler i pin pointed the entry which led me to the battery cut off switch.
jonniemotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 Volt