Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Thanks CLR, very helpful information. I have heard back the RV dealer they seem to want to make this right. I was sorry to hear the estimate is almost $1500 for the repair in any case.

Originally Posted by clr View Post
Until you the knack of this, this may be one of the hardest things to do with a fiver. I have had three over the years and own one now. So some suggestions here, that you can take or leave, but they work mostly for me. Insure that the truck and 5th wheel are set up properly for towing there needs to be at least 6 inches between the camper and truck rails. Your dealer should do this for you. As you stated there is little room for error with a short bed truck. That is why i tow with an 8 foot bed and no slider, much more forgiving.
First only one person needs to be in charge during the hooking or unhooking process. Kids and dogs and cats or whatever need to be out of the way and where you can keep an eye on them. No yelling, or having the DW ask questions during this period. Get out and look often it will help you and over time you can do this less. Remember both the truck and the camper will move up and down some when you add or remove the load. For example when unhooking the truck will come up a little as the weight is removed and the camper may settle a little bit when you are not on a paved surface. Come up with a order or procedure to hook and unhook and try and do it the same way each time. Always look at the jaws or bar on your hitch to ensure they are either closed around the king pin or not, do not rely on the indicators and such. This will ensure you do not have the king pin resting on top of the hitch jaws, it can be done. This sounds like a lot I know, but you will get the knack of this very quickly and its much easier then pulling a trailer with a WDH. You will have to be careful on camp sites with your clearance issues most are not totally level when in question just use the slider.
Hope this helps some, and happy camping, sorry to hear about your bad start.

libertyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
Just a follow-up, dealer is paying for all damage and has really come through.

libertyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote