Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Off to a BANG

So I go pick up my first fifth wheel, a brand new 336RLT with my brand new F250 and the RV dealer minion tells me to pull forward after he put my gate UP, yes UP with the hitch unlatched and clips off the top of my tailgate step
ruining it with the king-pin. Fortunately it appears only the step needs replaced at $900 un-installed, only, because I can't imagine what a new tail-gate would run.
First-time hitching up EVER and this....

They said they'd fix it but I'm wondering now since I pulled forward based on his instructions am I gonna eat this, I have no idea WHY HE PUT THE TAILGATE UP.... I am thinking they have insurance for this, but then again I was driving and being instructed how to hook up as a new customer of theirs, I already knew but let him do his thing.... Boy am I sorry now, at least no one was hurt but still..... This sucks, what a way to start off Rv'ing.
I'm thinking they will fix this, "Pull Forward!" Crunch. Yep, profanity, it happened..... I'm just nervous they will weasel out when they see the repair bill.

I can't believe this happened, but it could be worse I guess.... How basic, and yes even as a newbie I should have seen the tailgate was put up but #$%@#
libertyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Maybe needed gate up for clearance if was between it and trailer?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Honestly I don't know what he was thinking. I do remember him saying he accidentally closed the tailgate. Now I think he thought my first attempt was good, closed the gate, realized then the jaws where not closed around the pin maybe, and told me to pull forward again for another go at backing up, but then the tailgate was up and bang...my new truck without a scratch now has more than a scratch. He needs more OJT at the very least and did not seem to be a good candidate for drug testing. I'm getting serious with the owners tomorrow on it, I'm hoping they make good here. I'm not keen to turn it in to my insurance and eat my deductable.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What size box liberty? Hitching up my brand new F250 tomorrow morning.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #5

I have the short box Super Crew turbo diesel. A Reese slider for the Ford factory fifth wheel/goose neck option. With the hitch forward you really have to be square btw with the camper or be going straight back in hooking up with no angle tailgate down but I guess this is the case with all these campers however this was not a contributing factor here.
I/we tore that top black plastic portion of the step off, I am glad it did not hit lower into the tailgate but I am at $900 at least already without a real estimate from my Ford dealer provided all I need is a new step, and that is just looking at the prices on-line. I'm learning fast and the hard way. Again, now I think he shut the tailgate then realized I was not hooked up, told me to pull forward for a second attempt and forgot to re-lower the gate. My truck ultimately my problem but darn... New customer a rookie, I guess I'm feeling pretty sad for myself, pathetic really....but he was "showing" me how to do it driving off the lot for the first time.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also, when your un-hitchin', you need to be pretty straight on....at least on mine if hitch head is turned more than 10 degrees if tuff...ie....neighbors parking across street . Good luck today......At least it wasn't a shopping cart/hit and run.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

I know it will de difficult but don't let this incident spoil the joy of picking up a new unit. Just remember the new chapter you are starting and the good times to come.

:signhavefu n:
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
clr

Until you the knack of this, this may be one of the hardest things to do with a fiver. I have had three over the years and own one now. So some suggestions here, that you can take or leave, but they work mostly for me. Insure that the truck and 5th wheel are set up properly for towing there needs to be at least 6 inches between the camper and truck rails. Your dealer should do this for you. As you stated there is little room for error with a short bed truck. That is why i tow with an 8 foot bed and no slider, much more forgiving.
First only one person needs to be in charge during the hooking or unhooking process. Kids and dogs and cats or whatever need to be out of the way and where you can keep an eye on them. No yelling, or having the DW ask questions during this period. Get out and look often it will help you and over time you can do this less. Remember both the truck and the camper will move up and down some when you add or remove the load. For example when unhooking the truck will come up a little as the weight is removed and the camper may settle a little bit when you are not on a paved surface. Come up with a order or procedure to hook and unhook and try and do it the same way each time. Always look at the jaws or bar on your hitch to ensure they are either closed around the king pin or not, do not rely on the indicators and such. This will ensure you do not have the king pin resting on top of the hitch jaws, it can be done. This sounds like a lot I know, but you will get the knack of this very quickly and its much easier then pulling a trailer with a WDH. You will have to be careful on camp sites with your clearance issues most are not totally level when in question just use the slider.
Hope this helps some, and happy camping, sorry to hear about your bad start.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

Thanks for that, your right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
I know it will de difficult but don't let this incident spoil the joy of picking up a new unit. Just remember the new chapter you are starting and the good times to come.

:signhavefu n:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Thanks CLR, very helpful information. I have heard back the RV dealer they seem to want to make this right. I was sorry to hear the estimate is almost $1500 for the repair in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Until you the knack of this, this may be one of the hardest things to do with a fiver. I have had three over the years and own one now. So some suggestions here, that you can take or leave, but they work mostly for me. Insure that the truck and 5th wheel are set up properly for towing there needs to be at least 6 inches between the camper and truck rails. Your dealer should do this for you. As you stated there is little room for error with a short bed truck. That is why i tow with an 8 foot bed and no slider, much more forgiving.
First only one person needs to be in charge during the hooking or unhooking process. Kids and dogs and cats or whatever need to be out of the way and where you can keep an eye on them. No yelling, or having the DW ask questions during this period. Get out and look often it will help you and over time you can do this less. Remember both the truck and the camper will move up and down some when you add or remove the load. For example when unhooking the truck will come up a little as the weight is removed and the camper may settle a little bit when you are not on a paved surface. Come up with a order or procedure to hook and unhook and try and do it the same way each time. Always look at the jaws or bar on your hitch to ensure they are either closed around the king pin or not, do not rely on the indicators and such. This will ensure you do not have the king pin resting on top of the hitch jaws, it can be done. This sounds like a lot I know, but you will get the knack of this very quickly and its much easier then pulling a trailer with a WDH. You will have to be careful on camp sites with your clearance issues most are not totally level when in question just use the slider.
Hope this helps some, and happy camping, sorry to hear about your bad start.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #12

Just a follow-up, dealer is paying for all damage and has really come through.