Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

Portable Satellite

Just ordered Direct TV. It is just too much cheaper than what I have going with Comcast to pass up. Also, I am now going to be able to purchase a portable Satellite to take it on the road with me rather than having to use the campground cable (if they have it). I really want to get the portable dish that you setup at each site you go to. I'm really not interested in spending $800+. That said, wondering if anyone has any experience with these and could make a suggestion on brand and retailer. Thanks in advance for the advice. So far what I have been seeing is like what I attached below:

Carryout MP1 Manual Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Item - Camping World
Bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #2

I have Direct TV with HD at home and the TT has a HD television. I wanted HD TV while camping, so I bought a Direct TV HD antenna on ebay and take one of the HD receivers from the house camping. I made a mount for the antenna out of 1 1/4 pvc. The mount is low to the ground and the front leggs are full of lead. It is very stable in the wind and takes about 10 minutes to set up.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Just so I understand, you just bought a regular home dish and slide the pole stand down into PVC piping? I have been looking at dishes on ebay as well and was wondering what the best way to mount it would be. Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

I built one of these... sat works just fine and is a good conversation piece

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

I got a dish free from my next door neighbor who switched from dish to Comcast and bought a portable tripod at Camping World. I preferred this method as there are places we camp where the rig was under trees and it was necessary to locate the dish 30, 40 or 50' away from the rig to get signal. If you have a mount permanently on your rig you might be out of luck if there is a tree in the way. With our Georgetown we installed an automatic dish but I still carry the old setup in case we need it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
Just ordered Direct TV. It is just too much cheaper than what I have going with Comcast to pass up. Also, I am now going to be able to purchase a portable Satellite to take it on the road with me rather than having to use the campground cable (if they have it). I really want to get the portable dish that you setup at each site you go to. I'm really not interested in spending $800+. That said, wondering if anyone has any experience with these and could make a suggestion on brand and retailer. Thanks in advance for the advice. So far what I have been seeing is like what I attached below:

Carryout MP1 Manual Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Item - Camping World
The biggest question is do you want HD? If so then the MP1 will not work and the HD compatible dishes are a lot more. I wasn't worried about HD, since the air signal or the park cable usually gives a good HD picture for the network channels. I have a Blu Ray player on my computer and can stream or download HD on the internet for most programs, movies etc.

The MP1 I bought was cheaper from Amazon than at CW and they offered free ship and no tax. At home I leave it hooked up in the backyard so I can retreat to the TT when necessary. The RG6 drop is about 60 feet and the signal is very good. You can fill the MP1 with sand or water to weight it down. In addition I bought 3, 4 1/2" hex head bolts that screw in the bottom of the dish. That way you can adjust the level easily. I try to get sites where I can put it on the roof. Leveling is simple and it won't walk away easily. It works fine on the ground with a couple of boards to get is somewhat level or a picnic table.

The MP1 will work with the Tripod so you can go that route if you want. Be sure and invest in a SF-1000 Satellite Finder or a facsimile. It lets you know when you have a strong signal w/o having to holler at the wife or carry a tv with you. Check out the Winegard site for more info and their complete product line.

Mobile Accessories - Winegard
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

VuQube. Trust me on that one!

We found the 1000 model for $300 on Craigslist. Now I don't have a mad DW when we are getting setup, !

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #8

If you are a new subscriber to direct they will give you a free satellite dish and tripod with 50 feet of cable. If you are not a new subscriber like me.(had it for several years) the cost is $50. just tell them you want set u for your RV
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #9

Actually they did give me one, but I am having a really difficult time getting it to work. Can't seem to get it to find the satellite. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

Go to radio shack and purchase a satellite finder ($20.) use a short cable on the dish and connect the finder between the cables. When found remove the findr and connect cables with a coupler. Works great. Make sure pipe antenna is mounted on s perfectly level before starting. In setup it will tell you asmuth and elevation.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
I built one of these... sat works just fine and is a good conversation piece
I also built one of those and have used it for 6 years now with no problems. The low profile makes it very stable in high winds. People at the camp grounds are always asking about it.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #12

I have been doing this for a few years, with HD the signal is a little more diffcult to get but with pratice it works. Also keep in mind the adjustment between magnatic and actual on compass readings, that's what gets most people just learning how to do this.

Before I go i use this to get the setting from this site;
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Here is a good reference site they also sell most parts and have a good customer service to help you get it all working.
InstallerOasis.com
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #13

Not easy finding all 5 sats for HD viewing. And you'll need a 5 LNB sat. dish to do so (if you subscribe to Directv's HD programming). That dish requires tilt, azemuth and elevation to find all 5 sats. and the mount MUST BE PERFECTLY LEVEL TO START. you'll need a compass and inline sat. finder which screams or clicks (depending on model) when you find a sat. This is misleading cause it will indicate when you find ANY sat., even the non-Directv sats. So, you will have to be pretty close on your compass heading right from the beginning.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #14

note, Direct TV has reworked there Sat configuration you no londger need 5 to get HD, I think it is the 101 you nolonger need unless you want the non english language channels. There standard LNB setup is now back down to 3 which is much easier to setup, and with a slimline dish you can drop to one LNB.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood