Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Possibly removing the dinette?

Long story short, I'm not a huge fan of our dinette. I like the table(a little big though), but I don't like the benches. I feel cramped when I am sitting at our dinette. I am possibly considering removing the benches, build a smaller table (re-use the poles), and have a table and chairs.

However, my fear is that when I pull the benches I am going to have some unfinished surfaces or holes in the floor. I can handle most projects, but I don't want to have to put a ton of work into this, I'm hoping I can gently remove the benches and store them to install if/when we decide to sell the camper in the future.

Has anyone done this on their wildwood?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

No but I've often thought the same. Removing the U-shape dinette and going with a free standing table and chairs. I have the same concerns as you.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Usually the flooring under the dinette is the same as the surrounding area, just built on top of it. So you'll need to determine how the benches are secured to the floor so you can figure out what holes, if any, will be left after it's removed.

Dealers switch out dinettes for free-standing tables all the time in used trailers, so it must be easy to do.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

We took out our booth in the 08 Flagstaff as it was on carpet. Nothing showed and you would be surprised and how few screws are used to anchor it to the floor. If you have vinyl flooring, you can work the vinyl into the holes and it will be hardly noticed if at all.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

It's funny to hear everyone talk about removing the the dinette for a free standing table.
When we were looking for our TT all the dealers only had TTs with the free standing table. And it wasn't just one manufacturer it was most we looked at unless it was a bunk house model they usually had the dinette. We didn't need a bunkhouse but did want an extra sleeping spot if needed.
We had to order ours to get the dinette.

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #6

When we ordered our new trailer we had the dinette removed and replaced with a nice sofa. It's just the two of us and we use small tables if we eat inside. The U shaped dinette bench's were just too uncomfortable especially if you were stuck inside during bad weather. The free standing table and chairs sounds like a great idea.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Possibly removing the dinette?

Have the free standing table and chairs. We like them better than the dinette but it's kinda cramped. We're hefty. The table is screwed to the floor to keep it from falling over and the chairs have to be belted/clipped to floor to keep them from moving as well. Also, I have to cover one chair on each side to keep the wood on chairs from rubbing. We usually wind up leaving two chairs at home. Since it's just the spouse and I we've considered removing the couch and the table/chairs to put in one of those long party couches. And using our tray tables for dinning.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlambert View Post
It's funny to hear everyone talk about removing the the dinette for a free standing table.
When we were looking for our TT all the dealers only had TTs with the free standing table. And it wasn't just one manufacturer it was most we looked at unless it was a bunk house model they usually had the dinette. We didn't need a bunkhouse but did want an extra sleeping spot if needed.
We had to order ours to get the dinette.

Tim
Same here. Our 3 DSs (16, 18 and 21) still camp with us for now. Didn't want bunks 'cause they're too small but the U shaped dinette makes a good size bed when needed.

Maybe when we are empty nesters we'll want the free standing table instead because I agree they are more comfortable.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote