Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Question about antenna that came with our TT

Last month we purchased a FR Wildwood X-LITE 253RLXL. Did not realze til we got it home that it was not a crank up type like our previous TT. It is a low profile omnidirectional. To make a long story short...it doesn't work very well. We got 0 channels on our very first camping trip while others in our area were picking up from 20 -40 chanells. Called the dealer service department and were told we should have been able to pick up at least a few. Does anyone perhaps know what brand it might be so that we can read up on it and maybe check a few things before we have to take it in. We already know about the power booster having to be on. Is there anything else we can check or do?

Thx ahead of time.

cschuerg
cschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #2

We have same issue with our new FR Wildwood XLite 174BH FS. We stay at campgrounds with cable, for now, so we opted to get a coaxial cable to connect directly to the campgrounds cable system. If we chose to go somewhere without cable service, not sure what we will do.
gdbloch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping

I have the same antenna and haven't had a problem with it yet....just to make sure, did you have the booster turned on?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
I have the same antenna and haven't had a problem with it yet....just to make sure, did you have the booster turned on?
Yes we knew about the booster from our previous TT. Not sure what else we can do. Thinking about taking the wall plate off and checking the connections.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
Go Pack Go!!

That would be a good idea. Make sure they have the coaxial cables in the correct ports. Production line is fast and sometimes subject to errors. They connected mine wrong.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbloch4 View Post
We have same issue with our new FR Wildwood XLite 174BH FS. We stay at campgrounds with cable, for now, so we opted to get a coaxial cable to connect directly to the campgrounds cable system. If we chose to go somewhere without cable service, not sure what we will do.
Right now it is parked in the driveway with no obstructions and all we picked up was 2 channels. The crankup on the old TT got at least 20 in the same spot. What bugs me is that I can't find any info about it...such as brand. Someone from the dealership is supposed to call me and let me know. Didn't want to have to take it in for repairs during camping season unless we had to.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #7

This should be the one (I assume they are using the same model on most RV's), this is in my Freedom Express 310BHDS. Tracked it down previously to look at the specs on it.

RV Omnidirectional Antenna (CA-2500) | Continu.us
http://continu.us/content/manuals/CO...500_Manual.pdf
Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Did you go to your TV menu and select antenna as source and auto find channels? I have to do this for each stop to make sure all available channels are picked up. It's not automatic. I have sat tv also so I change between HDMI(Sat) and Antenna(Locals) on my tv to select which source I want.
stansoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoper View Post
Did you go to your TV menu and select antenna as source and auto find channels? I have to do this for each stop to make sure all available channels are picked up. It's not automatic. I have sat tv also so I change between HDMI(Sat) and Antenna(Locals) on my tv to select which source I want.
We have done all of the above as we have had experience with a crankup from our previous TT. It was a PITA sometimes but we got excellent reception most everywhere.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Site Team

We have the same ant and have the same problems. The ant is junk, but apparently cheap. Replace it with a Jack. It is clearly not an omni-directional Digital TV antenna.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
RetiredRVer

Unhappy TV Antenna

I also have the same antenna on my Heritage Glen 282RK....and, no, it does not work very well. I checked all my connections, always turn on the booster, always auto search at each new campgrounds, etc... It is just a bad antenna. I was thinking about buying a HD antenna, for indoors, or maybe one that mounts outside. Will have to check pricing to see if it is worth it.
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #12

Have been using the Jack antenna for two years now. I seem to get more stations than some of my neighbors in the cg. When I purchased new TT this year, changing the antenna to a Jack was the first thing I did.
2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73 Diff.
pops p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

Jack antenna is the way we went. You either need to be pretty handy or the install will run a couple of hundred. The ceiling has to be cut, so we paid the dealer to install. Went from 2 stations to 30+. The omni units are junk. FR moved to them because of cost, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschuerg View Post
Right now it is parked in the driveway with no obstructions and all we picked up was 2 channels. The crankup on the old TT got at least 20 in the same spot. What bugs me is that I can't find any info about it...such as brand. Someone from the dealership is supposed to call me and let me know. Didn't want to have to take it in for repairs during camping season unless we had to.
A couple of years ago a friend bought an SOB trailer that had one, like you at his house he could get a couple of stations out of 55 available.
I tried to get him to install a JACK but he didn't want to cut a hole in his new roof.

We got him one of these...BOOM 55 working channels!
They were cheaper 2 yrs. ago.

RCA ANT1750R Digital Flat Indoor Amplified Antenna - Walmart.com
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 AM   #15

I have the same type of antenna. Not a huge concern as we turn on whatever to fall asleep at night. but i am curious... where is the booster button usually located?
pjpoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoppins View Post
I have the same type of antenna. Not a huge concern as we turn on whatever to fall asleep at night. but i am curious... where is the booster button usually located?
If you are talking about the batt wing to change out to a jack antenna is just two clips. and reconnect your coax. The booster button is located on the plate itself. You can tell if it's working on a jack by a little red light on the jack. My stations have doubled and will find a signal tower much further away. Also you point the flat end in the direction of the tower not the pointed end....FR is now testing them and are supposed to start installing them on all units is what I was told by there rep. Change is slow at FR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #17

I went from the factory Winegard to the Winegard Rayzar Winegard Rayzar Air - RV HDTV Antenna, RV Antenna and it is somewhat better with digital signals. But getting any selection of channels is always a problem, in part because of the mountainous areas we prefer. TV Fool TV Fool is interesting and helpful. BTW, I usually scan for available channels and then turn off the TV. We just don't watch it, but I like to know what's out there and play around with the system.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoppins View Post
The booster button in both our campers is located on the same wallplate as the coax connection. A small light will come on when it is in use.

UPdate: We just went ahead and purchased a DISH tailgater...works awesome as long as there a southern exposure.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #19

I am having the same problem with my 2016 qbts. Have not been able to get a single channel yet, have tried everything except pulling it apart.
jthudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #20

Digital really does have a good picture but I sure do miss good ol analog.

Setting the TV's (3) up in our Georgetown takes almost as much time as power,water,sewer,level,slides!

Changing from sat to ant...
1. turn amp on, check for green light (I usually forget this one so have to rescan X3)
2. switch A/B box from sat to ant (I always forget this one so have to rescan X3)
3. change settings on tv from sat to ant (I usually have a hard time finding this one)
4. scan for stations

Change from ant. to sat
reverse procedure

Tags
antenna