Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Really? Water Lines Exposed Under the Rv?

I have an Wildwood XLite 26RKSXL I bought last year from Lazy-day RV in Tampa. I am living in it year round on a military base in VA. I asked the dealer if this RV would work in cold weather. Sure no problems ... right. So I now have frozen pipes. Ok, my fault right. Last week was the first instance ... so I built the insulated potable-water line with heat tape, etc. Tried again last night. Guess what, the water lines for the RV run the length of the RV underneath it, below the membrane and attached to the metal carriage! Totally exposed. What kind of crazy design is this? Why not run them at least between the membrane and the floor? Anyone else have this issue?

Also no insulation at all between the wood/vinyl floor and the membrane. I know I am whining but this is crazy. Am I missing something here?

Even if I turned off the park water and used the tank ... would not matter.
Thanks
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

Regardless of what your salesman said (they'll tell you anything to get the sale), I don't believe the XLites were designed for winter living. Maybe late fall at best and temps down near freezing. I had a 2009 Wildwood 27RLSS and the undercarriage was completely exposed so, we never used it past October.

One way way you could improve your cold weather living would be to re-route the exposed water lines to the inside of the frame and install a corrugated sheathing to the bottom of the frame to completely enclose your tanks and water lines (I don't have pics but, someone on here might or just take a ride to your nearest RV dealer and take a look under one of the more expensive TT's and you'll see the type of sheathing I'm talking about). As an added measure, you could also add an additional duct to your furnace and cut a hole in the floor near the furnace and route the duct to the underbelly. That way each time the furnace starts it will also heat the area between your newly installed sheathing and the floor.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

I did forget to mention, your salesman said it will "work" in cold weather. Sure, your furnace will keep you comfortable, the fridge will work, your tv will work.....just don't run water to it if it's freezing. He didn't tell you that!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #4

Thanks rracer5. I should have known better ... my first TT and I was in a hurry to relocate without having to move my family. This TT worked great in FL. I will either make the most of the next two months until better temps or try re-routing some water lines this weekend or adding in some type of cover as you mentioned.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
Site Team

also, the Wildwood is an entry-level trailer line, therefore it doesn't have all the nice more-expensive features.
my HTT is somewhat entry level and has exposed lines.

entry level trailers are not built for freezing weather, that's why you have to winterize.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #6

Go out and get yourself some pipe foam cover...wrap/cover the exposed water line outside. Its the kind of foam used on house lines it will work. Wrap it twice if you want to be extra sure. Cover the tap as well if your park has not done it or build a box to cover the tap and the start of the line...insulate the box with rigid styro foam. If you can see your exposed lines cover those as well...duct tape or gorilla tape on all the joints. Next and most important, open your gray tank valve and turn the water on to run all night or day. It does not need to be full force but enough to say fill a cup in about 6 seconds. Do all that and you will have yourself a freeze proof water supply.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #7

Puff is right on the money with his advise. I had a 1986 21 foot Sunline I used in Montana and New England in the winter. I did wrap my pipes in heavy aluminum foil then used electrical heat tape (comes if different lengths), then put foam insulation pipe covers over them and more tape to hold it. The aluminum foil spreads the heat from the electrical heat tape. Every item is very cheap! Can get at Walmart.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I don't believe the XLites were designed for winter living.
I am on my second "Xlite fifth wheel and both had the water lines in the heated belly and my first one, which I considered entry level, had heated tanks too. I have had both out in below freezing temps without issue. Now I know, I live in NM, but it does get cold here and we travel early and late in the season so it is usually cold at night.

I think someone at the factory got lazy of missed that water line and instead of removing the bottom and doing it right they did it the easy way.

Personally I would try to route it bad inside the belly.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

Thanks everyone ... appreciate the input. Working on the winterizing ...
Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
also, the Wildwood is an entry-level trailer line, therefore it doesn't have all the nice more-expensive features.

my HTT is somewhat entry level and has exposed lines.

entry level trailers are not built for freezing weather, that's why you have to winterize.

I have a 06 wildwood 27fbss. It has all plumbing inside, no pipes are exposed outside!!
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Strider -- Nope you are NOT whining!!

We have a 2014 Work & Play 25 ULA and the water supply line from the fresh water holding tank (which has a tank heater) runs outside the camper.

we were camping in North Georgia and had the line freeze... so we got out the hair dryer to thaw it out. Ther wrapped with pipe wraps. Now we are DRY camping again in North Georgia and have no water!!

All the other water lines run inside and there is lots of room for the other supply line to run inside as well.

It goes back to that the people that design and build these RV's need to use them!! This is just plain stupid.

when it gets warmer we are going to figure out how we can reroute the supply line to the water pump inside the trailer.

Look for my other thread.. "Beware of Arctic Package" I have a video attached.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #12

It does seem pretty simple. Just keep the water lines in those areas that have heat.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #13

If you will be in the same spot and they allow it skirt your rig also even cheap plywood to the ground will help a little especially if you can get heat to the under belly even a space heater under it if possible once it is skirted
Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #14

C

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Fifth Wheel Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #15

majority of RVs are not used in freezing weather, so they make them as fast and cheap as possible. You need to carefully select one to use in freezing weather on a regular basis. Guess you already figured this out though.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I love campin when its cold... NO BUGS, NO KIDS, NO PEOPLE.. and what do ya do if you are bpoondocking? We have a toy hauler and boondock.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
I love campin when its cold... NO BUGS, NO KIDS, NO PEOPLE.. and what do ya do if you are bpoondocking? We have a toy hauler and boondock.
Freeze your baguettes off? I don't think I would want to boondock in the winter Brrrrrrr
Old 02-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
itch'n to road trip

Mojojojo --- NO nice and warm!! REALLY you have no idea on what you are missing.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
If I lived in Georgia I would camp all year. Up here too much snow!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #20

When you buy a camper with a heated underbelly it is normal to think all lines are in that space. Just plain stupid for all of them not to be.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water