Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

rear camera power cable not switched on 201bhxl

I recently installed a rear camera on a 2018 wildwood xlite 201bhxl. The camper was prewired for the camera. The power cable to the camera is not switched and is energized without being connected to the truck or shore power. The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the trailer battery.

Does anyone know where the other end of the cable is getting power? I would like to connect it to the parking light circuit or add a switch.

A week ago I emailed the salesman who sold me the new trailer but have not received a response. I would think that this could be corrected under warranty but I could fix it myself.
cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

many other things like propane detectors and antenna boosters will slowly drain battery while parked. I had to add a battery disconnect switch on my 2017 heritage glen.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

You'll just have to trace it down. Mine was wired for camera too. It's wired into the parking lights. Camera won't transmit to monitor until parking lights are turned on.
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Installed a new camera today

Just installed a Furrion FOS48TA-BL Observation camera on my 201BHXL today, RV came with a mounting bracket for a Way Interglobal back-up camera.

I removed the factory installed mount, first thing I did was check the wiring with a meter ever before hooking up my tow vehicle, An yes they were hot, luckily I saw some other wires under the siding, snaked them out using a coat hanger. These where connect to the RV’s marker lights which only come on when the parking lights of the tow vehicle where turned on.

Took about three hours to the mount the camera the right way, not sure why the folks at FR would use the house wiring for the camera? Maybe they installed a switch that I have not found yet ?

Sealed everything with silicone, camera works great had four bars while sitting in the drive way, I’ll be heading out on the road in two weeks, it will be nice to know what’s coming up from behind me.
TCedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

I have the same problem on my 2018 201BHXL. Where did you put the battery disconnect?
2018 WILDWOOD 201BHXL
Miller.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #6

Got Lucky

I did not install a switch; I got lucky I could see the wires for the marker light which is just above the hole in the siding for the camera.
So I made a hook out of a coat hanger about 8 inches long stuck it in behind the siding and fished out the wires for the marker lights. Got lucky again there where crimping nuts on the wiring took off the nuts, so I could wire the camera to them it and used new crimping nuts now it only powers on when I turn on the lights of my tow vehicle.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Talking THANKS

I'll try the same thing tomorrow.
2018 WILDWOOD 201BHXL
Miller.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

MJMinDE, did you get your camera hooked up and working?

We took our first trip with the observation camera connected; I was much more relaxed driving just knowing what was behind me. It was easier than stretching my neck to use the side mirrors.

Only time I lost signal was when crossing over the Houston Ship Channel Bridge which is very high (175 Feet) and steep grade up & down.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #9

I installed a battery disconnect switch as well. Besides powering the camera, you will get battery drain from smoke and co2 detectors, and the refrigerator.
MoCamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, power, switch