Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Replacing 13.5k btu with 15k btu domestic a/c

We have had our 2016 30KQBSS for 2 years and 2 months now. Last year we had the 13.5k btu AC replaced under factory warranty because it took a dump on us while in vacation in Florida. This was not good since we had our 12 month old grandson and daughter with us.
This year we have been having issues with it freezing up and the thermometer probe on the coil not reading correctly. So back to the strealership it goes.
I asked them to replace it with a 15k btu unit this time becUse I feel the 13.5k is a little underpowered for the size of our TT.

QUESTION: will the 15k btu unit blow the air harder or simply cool quicker somehow?

Also has anyone installed a hard start capacitor? If so, was there a noticeable difference or waste of time and money?

Thanks folks

eyeguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Camper

The 15k unit should not blow harder, it will have a greater cooling capacity. It can cool a larger space, the same space to a lower temp. It may bring the temp down faster too.

I did a hard start cap mod on a Coleman in a motorhome, it helped while running on the genny.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
The 15k unit should not blow harder, it will have a greater cooling capacity. It can cool a larger space, the same space to a lower temp. It may bring the temp down faster too.

I did a hard start cap mod on a Coleman in a motorhome, it helped while running on the genny.

Thanks for the info. So I am guessing if it cools a larger space faster so to speak, the air coming out of the vents will be colder, if the fan doesn't blow any harder?
I am thing of installing a hard start cap. My 3200/4000 watt generator had a little trouble starting the 13.5 Compressor and would trip every now and again.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
Camper

A/C can be an exact science with lots of calculations based on temp, humidity and so on. There is no answer as to x amount temp on y day. But overall the temp differential should be higher.

The 15k unit should be able to cool the trailer down faster and to a lower temp when compared to the 13.5k unit.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
A/C can be an exact science with lots of calculations based on temp, humidity and so on. There is no answer as to x amount temp on y day. But overall the temp differential should be higher.

The 15k unit should be able to cool the trailer down faster and to a lower temp when compared to the 13.5k unit.

Thanks. Picking TT up from dealer on Tuesday and am anxious to see if there is a noticeable difference. This is the third ac in two years. First two just stopped working. Lol. So I decided to just go with the bigger unit. Hopefully it doesn't have to work as hard to cool the TT. I have always felt that the 13.5 was a little undersized for a 30ft TT