Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Bene Gesserit Rule

Replacing the Microwave Oven

I want to replace the crappy microwave in our Heritage Glen 5er. I have removed the two screws bolting it down at the top of the oven but it is still screwed down at the bottom, underneath. I can see two inaccessible screws near the front under the door which go through a metal plate which is (again I assume) screwed down to the base of the hole this thing sits in and I have to also assume that there are at least two more similar securing points towards the back, somewhere.

My other assumption is that, being directly under the microwave, I will need to remove the range hood to get to these screws. This is where the problem is. I can't get the dammed screws out. Being torx screws, the drive head needs to be specific and I have one (I think) that is the right size. Trying to bend over backwards over the glass-topped range hob, look up into a dark-ish space and manoeuver a torch and a screwdriver is horrendously hard (for me). Is there a better way, short of blasting the wall with a phaser set to kill and walking away in disgust?
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #2

Please post updates with pictures as I wanna do the same thing!!!
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

Mine just has 4 screws on the face. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Take them out and the it slides right out and unplug it.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

Hmmm.

Mine is done differently. It has the two long lag bolts at the top, the head are up inside the narrow cabinet above the microwave.

However, what really holds it on is a slot and holder at the back. I wish I knew the official name of that kind of holder........like a long piece of metal with a 45 degree bend in it, attached to the microwave across the back. Then, the wall has the slot that this metal slides on top of. The screws on top just sort of hold it in place. The weight is held by the back attachment.

I know, because ours was NOT attached from the factory at the back. The two lag bolts is all that held it. It was found and fixed, and now it's firm. It is a convection microwave, and those are much heavier than normal microwave only, however.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Ahh, how to get light on the subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I want to replace the crappy microwave in our Heritage Glen 5er. I have removed the two screws bolting it down at the top of the oven but it is still screwed down at the bottom, underneath. I can see two inaccessible screws near the front under the door which go through a metal plate which is (again I assume) screwed down to the base of the hole this thing sits in and I have to also assume that there are at least two more similar securing points towards the back, somewhere.

My other assumption is that, being directly under the microwave, I will need to remove the range hood to get to these screws. This is where the problem is. I can't get the dammed screws out. Being torx screws, the drive head needs to be specific and I have one (I think) that is the right size. Trying to bend over backwards over the glass-topped range hob, look up into a dark-ish space and manoeuver a torch and a screwdriver is horrendously hard (for me). Is there a better way, short of blasting the wall with a phaser set to kill and walking away in disgust?
I always keep one of these in the trailer and another one in the toolbox. You can set it flat on the range top (or under the car/trailer) or wherever, with the 27 LEDs shining upward for all the illumination you need.

The light also has a hook and a magnet on the back side. I've often stuck to to the car/trailer frame when I need side illumination and occasionally used the hook under the hood.

Harbor Freight gives these away for free in their stores. Just give them your email and postal addresses and they will send you the free coupons for them frequently.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

Screws

Post a picture or two. FYI. Whatlooks like torx screws can sometimes be accessed by a square bit. Sidding on my car trailer was that way. Called the Mfg. he said square bit. 👍
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:

Without pictures, it's hard to tell but from your description, it sounds like your microwave is sitting on a shelf above a separate hood. In that case, I would assume that it is indeed bolted down to the shelf. I would think with 2 or 4 screws. Either way, it sounds like you need to remove the hood to access these screws. The hood would be held up with 4 screws.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

In my Georgetown they used square head screws, I think #2, not torx head screws.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

Robertson screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
In my Georgetown they used square head screws, I think #2, not torx head screws.
The proper name for the screws with a square hole in the head is "Robertson screws." The hole and bit are actually very slightly tapered.

These are widely used in trailer and RV construction and almost nowhere else. The other exception I can think of is in certain residential construction, placing concrete board before tiling a bathroom.

Note that there are multiple sizes. It's very easy to strip out a tight screw by using an R-1 bit in a tight R-2 screw. Sets of bits are available at Harbor Freight (just R-1 and R-2) and at Home Depot (R-1 through R-4).

If you cannot see the screw head well enough to be sure, use a mirror or take blind photos with your cellphone.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I always keep one of these in the trailer and another one in the toolbox. You can set it flat on the range top (or under the car/trailer) or wherever, with the 27 LEDs shining upward for all the illumination you need.

The light also has a hook and a magnet on the back side. I've often stuck to to the car/trailer frame when I need side illumination and occasionally used the hook under the hood.

Harbor Freight gives these away for free in their stores. Just give them your email and postal addresses and they will send you the free coupons for them frequently.

Larry
I have two versions of LED torch hanging near the entry door, a small one like you sent and a larger one. Neither helped me much with this one. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The proper name for the screws with a square hole in the head is "Robertson screws." The hole and bit are actually very slightly tapered.

These are widely used in trailer and RV construction and almost nowhere else. The other exception I can think of is in certain residential construction, placing concrete board before tiling a bathroom.

Note that there are multiple sizes. It's very easy to strip out a tight screw by using an R-1 bit in a tight R-2 screw. Sets of bits are available at Harbor Freight (just R-1 and R-2) and at Home Depot (R-1 through R-4).

If you cannot see the screw head well enough to be sure, use a mirror or take blind photos with your cellphone.

Larry
Now that is the first new news I've heard for quite a while, thanks. I have a screw driver set (well many of them actually) that has something like 40 heads in it and I bet not one is a Robinson type. Look-alikes maybe but the 'real thing'.

Actually I am pretty sure none are because I methodically tried every one, even flat blades and others that have no hope of resembling the screw in question, on the off chance it would work (optimism abounds). I will post some pics when I take them, just to be complete. In the meantime I might "call a friend".
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:

#2 Square Head ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

Robertson screws. Proudly Canadian
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
Robertson screws. Proudly Canadian
Well thank you P.L. Robertson !!!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

I used to live near his home.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #16
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
#2 Square Head ???
It or mine?
Old 03-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Well might you say "Thank You Mr. Robinson", but I say all he did was create pain.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Well might you say "Thank You Mr. Robinson", but I say all he did was create pain.
Hey! I thought all you Aussies and Canucks and English were all sorta, buddies, or something !!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Aussies are buddies to everybody, even yanks, just ask DT.

Anyway, here are some pics of the problem, although I don't think they will help.

It looks like I will have to remove the range hood to get to the screws holding the MW retainer plate under the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave Retainer 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	163917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rangehood 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	163918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rangehood 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	163919  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Aussies are buddies to everybody, even yanks, just ask DT.

Anyway, here are some pics of the problem, although I don't think they will help.

It looks like I will have to remove the range hood to get to the screws holding the MW retainer plate under the oven.
Are those good old #2 Square Heads ???
Range hood should be easy enough to drop down,,,
don't forget wiring and duct work !!!