Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Salvage rig

Hello everybody.

I bought few weeks ago 2010 X-lite 26bh really cheap(I think from auction.Trailer was flooded and got few really soft spots on rear section.I am planning to put rig on my summer lot so I didn't care to much about title.

I need few tips form you guys on putting new floor.
Plan is to put new playwoods on whole camper.
All work I will do by myself.

I am debating on using 3/4" playwood with vinyl flooring or use 5/8" with thicker laminate panels.

Can I use 3.5 inch insulation from home depot?

Here are few pics:

kurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

With the factory GVWR at only 5400 pounds, you are going to have a real challenge repairing that unit as a DIY and have any kind of remaining payload.

2010 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 26BH Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

The ultra-lite materials and cabinetry used in the original are designed from the wheels up to be as light as possible.

You may have been better off buying a frame from Lippert or Dexter rated for a more realistic GVWR for a DIY camper using commonly available materials.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
With the factory GVWR at only 5400 pounds, you are going to have a real challenge repairing that unit as a DIY and have any kind of remaining payload.

2010 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 26BH Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

The ultra-lite materials and cabinetry used in the original are designed from the wheels up to be as light as possible.

You may have been better off buying a frame from Lippert or Dexter rated for a more realistic GVWR for a DIY camper using commonly available materials.
The OP is going to use it on a perm site (no title) so a one time, dry, empty move could be do-able. If it looks like it is getting close to limits, some project check points could wait until the unit is set. Once it is there they may not be able to move it but should get a number of useful years out of it.

I appreciate the opportunity to see a project like this. I hope more pix are to follow.

To respond to kurens, where are you thinking to put the foam? If you can get it in under the floor it will really help the R value.
Laminate is a heck of a lot more durable that vinyl for scratches, but often not moisture. If there is risk of standing water, do the vinyl.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
The OP is going to use it on a perm site (no title) so a one time, dry, empty move could be do-able. If it looks like it is getting close to limits, some project check points could wait until the unit is set. Once it is there they may not be able to move it but should get a number of useful years out of it.

I appreciate the opportunity to see a project like this. I hope more pix are to follow.
Ah! Excellent point. With enough frame supports at the final location it should not be too "bouncy."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:

What did they do to make it an Ultra-Lite with the materials? it looks exactly like the materials in my 26TBSS. It just doesn't have a slider and some of the other stuff that my 26TBSS. but the interior looks like the exact same stuff... especially the cabinetry.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Hello. I admire your ability/willingness to "take on a project". I usually am the one doing this. When we bought our unit...DW said...NO, we are not buying a fixer...so we spent 4x the original budget. Enjoy your PROJECT and TT.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:

I will use orginal cabinetry from actual camper and bought 5/8 inch playwood(which supposed to be even lighter than osb boards from factory) with 2mm vinyl on top.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hello. I admire your ability/willingness to "take on a project". I usually am the one doing this. When we bought our unit...DW said...NO, we are not buying a fixer...so we spent 4x the original budget. Enjoy your PROJECT and TT.
thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post

To respond to kurens, where are you thinking to put the foam? If you can get it in under the floor it will really help the R value.
Laminate is a heck of a lot more durable that vinyl for scratches, but often not moisture. If there is risk of standing water, do the vinyl.
Will post more pix for sure.
Got most materials and will start probably next week.
As for for insulating I was thinking to put those 1/4inch pink rigid FOAMULAR sheathing under plywood between frame supports.
Still debating
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

Plenty of food for thought on replacing floors on You Tube...
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote