Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Smelly water

We've got a HG 356QBQ that we permanently park for the season hooked to camp water/electrical/etc. This is our 3rd season and the the second season of our water smelling like rotten eggs after a few weeks of camping. I replaced the water heater anode rod this spring and still have the issue. I'm guessing we should be draining the tank weekly after use but I've not found an easy way to do this. Any recommendations on getting rid of the smell and keeping it at bay?
traci04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci04 View Post
We've got a HG 356QBQ that we permanently park for the season hooked to camp water/electrical/etc. This is our 3rd season and the the second season of our water smelling like rotten eggs after a few weeks of camping. I replaced the water heater anode rod this spring and still have the issue. I'm guessing we should be draining the tank weekly after use but I've not found an easy way to do this. Any recommendations on getting rid of the smell and keeping it at bay?
Are you using a filter like the following?
TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter - Camco 40043 - Water Filtration - Camping World

You could try running a 1/4 cup of Clorox through your water system to kill any bacteria that may have set itself up. Make sure to rinse/flush very well afterwards...
(I add it to my hose and then connect it, I do this twice a year)

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
WFD

what mboatwright says....sanitize your system, you probably have some bacterial growth in the system. All I would add is that it's better if you can let the bleach water sit in the system overnight.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #4

I do have a filter which was installed when we hooked up April 15th. I usually reinstall a new one mid season as well.
traci04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Always Learning

Sanitize the system. I literally just went through this.

Turn off your water heater and let the water get cold (a cheating way to do this is turn it off and then run the hot water in the shower until it runs out).

Dump your fresh water tank.

Empty your water heater.

Open your low point drains + empty them. Close when emptied.

Add 1/4-cup of bleach to every 15 gallons of water and fill your fresh water tank.

Refill water heater.

At every faucet/tap, run water until you smell bleach. Don't forget the toilets, shower, bathroom faucet, kitchen faucet, outdoor shower, and *especially* the washer/dryer hookups (if you have them- these were my violent smelling culprit!).

Let sit for 24 hours.

Empty the freshwater tank, water heater, and low point drains.

Run fresh water thru every tap until you no longer smell bleach.

Viola- sanitized + smell be gone.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

I second (third?) that you should sanitize the system with some bleach.

Are you on well water? Some well water has a lot of sulfur that can create an "egg smell". Might need to get a small water softener?
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboatwright View Post
Are you using a filter like the following?
TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter - Camco 40043 - Water Filtration - Camping World

You could try running a 1/4 cup of Clorox through your water system to kill any bacteria that may have set itself up. Make sure to rinse/flush very well afterwards...
(I add it to my hose and then connect it, I do this twice a year)
I have the same camper and we have the same problem. I have bleached my lines twice and I have filters on as well. There are two other Forest Rivers at the same campground and we are the only campers with this problem. I'm guessing there is a flaw somewhere in the lines? FOREST RIVER please help with this issue!
Denise13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

*especially* the washer/dryer hookups (if you have them- these were my violent smelling culprit!).

Second this. If you have washer/dryer hookups, remove the caps and hook a hose up to hot and cold and run several gallons of water thru those lines. Could be that easy
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

Buy a new anode rod.

If your hooked up to fresh water vs adding bleach to your storage tank- use a pre mixed bleach mix thru the antifreeze hose.

Use the hot water bypass.

Like said above- run each line like you would with antifreeze-till you smell the bleach compound - seal em and let it sit a few days.

Hot water tank- I use a syringe and shoot some bleach into the tank, fill and let it sit.

I put ball valves on my low point drains and pull the anode rod every time I leave the camp for the week.
Willb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #10

All kinds of junk grows in a water filter ~~ change them if you have them and consider getting rid of on board systems for one at the hose/spigot connection.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

Did that already. Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #12

Thank you, been there and done that twice.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

I will give that a try, Thanks. I'm the only one with a Washer and my neighbor's camper (also a Sierra) is way worse than mine, so it makes me think there is a flaw in the water lines somewhere. The camper on my other side, no issues whatsoever.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #14

You might try a pure external carbon filter, also west marine sells a product that is called sweet water. put that in your holding tank. I don't think that the plumbing lines are the problem. Maybe I missed this but are you at a seasonal spot. Water will turn nasty if it just sits in your lines for a couple of weeks. If you on a well the smell could be worst, if that is the case open your low point drains before you leave and then close them when you return,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water