Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Spare tire carrier for 263BHXL

The bumper on our camper is welded instead of bolted. Anyone know if you can put a spare tire carrier on that type of bumper? If so, what kind?
__________________

__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
The bumper on our camper is welded instead of bolted. Anyone know if you can put a spare tire carrier on that type of bumper? If so, what kind?
Very Very few RV bumpers are bolted on. Most have a 4x4 tin square box tack welded to the frame, going across the back. Put sewer hose in box and install this for spare tire holder (you should negotiated for one and have had the sDealer put one on)


https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Bumpe...re+tire+holder
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Very Very few RV bumpers are bolted on. Most have a 4x4 tin square box tack welded to the frame, going across the back. Put sewer hose in box and install this for spare tire holder (you should negotiated for one and have had the sDealer put one on)


https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Bumpe...re+tire+holder


Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. There is a warning sticker on the bumper that says any non factory installed components to bumper is prohibited and can void chassis warranty.
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. There is a warning sticker on the bumper that says any non factory installed components to bumper is prohibited and can void chassis warranty.

Sooooo.... Call the sDealer and ask him where to put a spare tire holder for your camper.... As some time down the road, you will need a spare tire. Have all of the equipment to get the flat up in the air and off and the spare put on. If you do not know how... practice at home before going on a trip...

As for the spare tire and holder, the sDealer will gladly sell you one (that you should have got for free) and 'he' will install it on the cheap tack welded bumper and charge you for that and tell you not to 'add' any more weight to 'the bumper'.... "as it will void the warrenty"....

(my self, I would buy a spare tire/rim/holder at Wally place and install my self... as 'warranty' aint worth a hoot)

(Get some TST507 tire minders)
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,655
On another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. There is a warning sticker on the bumper that says any non factory installed components to bumper is prohibited and can void chassis warranty.
There's another thread where they talk about mounting the spare tire carrier from a pickup or full-size SUV under the frame.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There's another thread where they talk about mounting the spare tire carrier from a pickup or full-size SUV under the frame.



Larry


Hmmm, thatís may be an idea.
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
Hmmm, that’s may be an idea.
I also have one of these BAL hide a spare.
NOTE to self: there are 4 different mounting styles, depending on what type of frame that you have.. ie. box frame, I beam frame... I ordered mine from Camping World and it was shipped direct to my work.

Yes, I do have two spare tires. One on the back bumper and one under the unit, mounted just in front of the tires...

The video shows the tire bracket being pulled out from the 'door' side. I wanted my unit closer to the camper tires and the steps were in the way. I rotated the unit 180 degrees and put it where the tire drop down and pull out is on the 'shoulder' side of the camper.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I also have one of these BAL hide a spare.
NOTE to self: there are 4 different mounting styles, depending on what type of frame that you have.. ie. box frame, I beam frame... I ordered mine from Camping World and it was shipped direct to my work.

Yes, I do have two spare tires. One on the back bumper and one under the unit, mounted just in front of the tires...

The video shows the tire bracket being pulled out from the 'door' side. I wanted my unit closer to the camper tires and the steps were in the way. I rotated the unit 180 degrees and put it where the tire drop down and pull out is on the 'shoulder' side of the camper.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
I have one of these under our CC and would highly recommend this to any one looking for a spare tire holder...mine is located just back of the tires
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,655
Some pictures: 1000 words each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There's another thread where they talk about mounting the spare tire carrier from a pickup or full-size SUV under the frame.

Larry
Hope it's not bad form to reply to myself. Here are some images. There are two styles. On one, one side of the carrier drops down, you place the tire on it and lift it up and hook and tighten it. On the other, you place an arbor (like a T-bar) through the wheel, hook it, and turn a crank that hoists it into place. (Some people say the second kind can rust and get stuck although that's never happened to me.)

Larry
Attached Images
     
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I also have one of these BAL hide a spare.
NOTE to self: there are 4 different mounting styles, depending on what type of frame that you have.. ie. box frame, I beam frame... I ordered mine from Camping World and it was shipped direct to my work.

Yes, I do have two spare tires. One on the back bumper and one under the unit, mounted just in front of the tires...

The video shows the tire bracket being pulled out from the 'door' side. I wanted my unit closer to the camper tires and the steps were in the way. I rotated the unit 180 degrees and put it where the tire drop down and pull out is on the 'shoulder' side of the camper.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry


I like the BAL. Is it easy to install yourself?
__________________

__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.