Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Spare tire carrier for 263BHXL

The bumper on our camper is welded instead of bolted. Anyone know if you can put a spare tire carrier on that type of bumper? If so, what kind?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
The bumper on our camper is welded instead of bolted. Anyone know if you can put a spare tire carrier on that type of bumper? If so, what kind?
Very Very few RV bumpers are bolted on. Most have a 4x4 tin square box tack welded to the frame, going across the back. Put sewer hose in box and install this for spare tire holder (you should negotiated for one and have had the sDealer put one on)

https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Bumpe...re+tire+holder

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Very Very few RV bumpers are bolted on. Most have a 4x4 tin square box tack welded to the frame, going across the back. Put sewer hose in box and install this for spare tire holder (you should negotiated for one and have had the sDealer put one on)

https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Bumpe...re+tire+holder

Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. There is a warning sticker on the bumper that says any non factory installed components to bumper is prohibited and can void chassis warranty.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. There is a warning sticker on the bumper that says any non factory installed components to bumper is prohibited and can void chassis warranty.

Sooooo.... Call the sDealer and ask him where to put a spare tire holder for your camper.... As some time down the road, you will need a spare tire. Have all of the equipment to get the flat up in the air and off and the spare put on. If you do not know how... practice at home before going on a trip...

As for the spare tire and holder, the sDealer will gladly sell you one (that you should have got for free) and 'he' will install it on the cheap tack welded bumper and charge you for that and tell you not to 'add' any more weight to 'the bumper'.... "as it will void the warrenty"....

(my self, I would buy a spare tire/rim/holder at Wally place and install my self... as 'warranty' aint worth a hoot)

(Get some TST507 tire minders)

Old 04-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

On another thread...

Quote:
There's another thread where they talk about mounting the spare tire carrier from a pickup or full-size SUV under the frame.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There's another thread where they talk about mounting the spare tire carrier from a pickup or full-size SUV under the frame.

Larry

Hmmm, thatís may be an idea.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Hmmm, that’s may be an idea.
I also have one of these BAL hide a spare.
NOTE to self: there are 4 different mounting styles, depending on what type of frame that you have.. ie. box frame, I beam frame... I ordered mine from Camping World and it was shipped direct to my work.

Yes, I do have two spare tires. One on the back bumper and one under the unit, mounted just in front of the tires...

The video shows the tire bracket being pulled out from the 'door' side. I wanted my unit closer to the camper tires and the steps were in the way. I rotated the unit 180 degrees and put it where the tire drop down and pull out is on the 'shoulder' side of the camper.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
NOTE to self: there are 4 different mounting styles, depending on what type of frame that you have.. ie. box frame, I beam frame... I ordered mine from Camping World and it was shipped direct to my work.

Yes, I do have two spare tires. One on the back bumper and one under the unit, mounted just in front of the tires...

The video shows the tire bracket being pulled out from the 'door' side. I wanted my unit closer to the camper tires and the steps were in the way. I rotated the unit 180 degrees and put it where the tire drop down and pull out is on the 'shoulder' side of the camper.
I have one of these under our CC and would highly recommend this to any one looking for a spare tire holder...mine is located just back of the tires
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #9

Some pictures: 1000 words each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Larry
Hope it's not bad form to reply to myself. Here are some images. There are two styles. On one, one side of the carrier drops down, you place the tire on it and lift it up and hook and tighten it. On the other, you place an arbor (like a T-bar) through the wheel, hook it, and turn a crank that hoists it into place. (Some people say the second kind can rust and get stuck although that's never happened to me.)

Larry
Attached Images

Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:

I like the BAL. Is it easy to install yourself?

Tags
tire