Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Stabilizer jacks.

When we bought out Wildwood 171rbxl we were excited that it had power stabilizer jacks. That excitement quickly turned to disappointment when we discovered the two front jacks and the two rear jacks descended together rather than 4 separate motors. So our question is could we use a jack stand under the trailer frame to stabilize the trailer rather than trying to shim the free floating power jack stand.

Newbie II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

yes, there are multiple ways to do it.

I welded on 2 scissors jacks - one on each side right in front of the tires (pretty much in the middle of the camper. This allows me to tweak the side-to-side level and it helps take the bounce out of the camper.

You could also use smaller portable jacks in this location (or anywhere else that you want) to adjust level before you put down the stabilizers. I would still use the stabilizers to help reduce the bounce once you get it level.

On my last camper I used screw-type jacks at the axle to remove some of the bounce, but they were too short for the new camper so I bought and welded on the scissors jacks.

mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

PS - do NOT try to shim the front and rear stabilizers... you will find its a lost cause, or do damage to them.

The stabilizers are "floating" in that they can slide back-and-forth to level out. That way if the ground isn't perfectly level they will still work.

So if you shim one side then it will just rebalance anyway and not change the level of the camper.

The only "hack" for this would be to shim the stabilizer track to prevent it from sliding but that would be just asking for trouble. I would NOT recommend that you try this.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Broken Toe

Remember... Stabilizers are NOT levelers. Level first using whatever method you choose (I prefer the Anderson levelers) and then use the stabilizer jacks to... er... stabilize. No shimming is necessary.

Sometimes they will come down together, other times only one side will til it hits the ground, then the other will. This system will account for off-level ground or if you just happen to put a jack down in a pothole. It hurts nothing if they are not down exactly the same distance.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

if on a hard surface I will run down to firm contact and then raise a bit and lower again. Kind of takes the "binding" out of it.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Remember... Stabilizers are NOT levelers. Level first using whatever method you choose (I prefer the Anderson levelers) and then use the stabilizer jacks to... er... stabilize. No shimming is necessary.

Sometimes they will come down together, other times only one side will til it hits the ground, then the other will. This system will account for off-level ground or if you just happen to put a jack down in a pothole. It hurts nothing if they are not down exactly the same distance.

Tim
So you are saying the if the rear two stabilizers are on one motor and one hits ground its ok to run the motor until the second one hits?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Just A Member

Your electric stabilizers are made by Lippert same as your frame more than likely and they also make locking stabilizer bars for use with the jacks called JT Strongarms that will take almost all shake and vibration out of the RV. The directions on the Strongarms say to level RV and than lower front with tongue jack about 1 inch. Lower rear stabilizers until both touch ground firmly and than tighten the rear Strongarm locks and raise front jack until RV is level. Than lower front stabilizers until both touch ground firmly tighten front Strongarm locks than raise tongue jack slightly to put pressure on front stabilizers. I do this and it works very well and it is straight from the manufacturer.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie II View Post
So you are saying the if the rear two stabilizers are on one motor and one hits ground its ok to run the motor until the second one hits?
Exactly! That is how they are designed to work. My fronts (exact same jacks as rears) always go down one at a time. My rears almost always go down together.

go ahead and try it. You will hear when the motor gets under strain, and that will only be when both feet are down.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Exactly! That is how they are designed to work. My fronts (exact same jacks as rears) always go down one at a time. My rears almost always go down together.

go ahead and try it. You will hear when the motor gets under strain, and that will only be when both feet are down.

Tim
Awesome! Thanks for the info. We are going camping next week and will give it a try.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie II View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info. We are going camping next week and will give it a try.
Test it in your driveway. Run the fronts up, put a stack of lynx blocks (or a paver stone) were the jack lands and run them back down. It'll be clear as a bell after that.

Tim

"Camper" 2016

Tags
jacks