Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Stabilizer jacks.

When we bought out Wildwood 171rbxl we were excited that it had power stabilizer jacks. That excitement quickly turned to disappointment when we discovered the two front jacks and the two rear jacks descended together rather than 4 separate motors. So our question is could we use a jack stand under the trailer frame to stabilize the trailer rather than trying to shim the free floating power jack stand.
Newbie II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

yes, there are multiple ways to do it.

I welded on 2 scissors jacks - one on each side right in front of the tires (pretty much in the middle of the camper. This allows me to tweak the side-to-side level and it helps take the bounce out of the camper.

You could also use smaller portable jacks in this location (or anywhere else that you want) to adjust level before you put down the stabilizers. I would still use the stabilizers to help reduce the bounce once you get it level.

On my last camper I used screw-type jacks at the axle to remove some of the bounce, but they were too short for the new camper so I bought and welded on the scissors jacks.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

PS - do NOT try to shim the front and rear stabilizers... you will find its a lost cause, or do damage to them.

The stabilizers are "floating" in that they can slide back-and-forth to level out. That way if the ground isn't perfectly level they will still work.

So if you shim one side then it will just rebalance anyway and not change the level of the camper.

The only "hack" for this would be to shim the stabilizer track to prevent it from sliding but that would be just asking for trouble. I would NOT recommend that you try this.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Broken Toe

Remember... Stabilizers are NOT levelers. Level first using whatever method you choose (I prefer the Anderson levelers) and then use the stabilizer jacks to... er... stabilize. No shimming is necessary.

Sometimes they will come down together, other times only one side will til it hits the ground, then the other will. This system will account for off-level ground or if you just happen to put a jack down in a pothole. It hurts nothing if they are not down exactly the same distance.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

if on a hard surface I will run down to firm contact and then raise a bit and lower again. Kind of takes the "binding" out of it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Remember... Stabilizers are NOT levelers. Level first using whatever method you choose (I prefer the Anderson levelers) and then use the stabilizer jacks to... er... stabilize. No shimming is necessary.

Sometimes they will come down together, other times only one side will til it hits the ground, then the other will. This system will account for off-level ground or if you just happen to put a jack down in a pothole. It hurts nothing if they are not down exactly the same distance.

Tim
So you are saying the if the rear two stabilizers are on one motor and one hits ground its ok to run the motor until the second one hits?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Just A Member

Your electric stabilizers are made by Lippert same as your frame more than likely and they also make locking stabilizer bars for use with the jacks called JT Strongarms that will take almost all shake and vibration out of the RV. The directions on the Strongarms say to level RV and than lower front with tongue jack about 1 inch. Lower rear stabilizers until both touch ground firmly and than tighten the rear Strongarm locks and raise front jack until RV is level. Than lower front stabilizers until both touch ground firmly tighten front Strongarm locks than raise tongue jack slightly to put pressure on front stabilizers. I do this and it works very well and it is straight from the manufacturer.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie II View Post
So you are saying the if the rear two stabilizers are on one motor and one hits ground its ok to run the motor until the second one hits?
Exactly! That is how they are designed to work. My fronts (exact same jacks as rears) always go down one at a time. My rears almost always go down together.

go ahead and try it. You will hear when the motor gets under strain, and that will only be when both feet are down.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Exactly! That is how they are designed to work. My fronts (exact same jacks as rears) always go down one at a time. My rears almost always go down together.

go ahead and try it. You will hear when the motor gets under strain, and that will only be when both feet are down.

Tim
Awesome! Thanks for the info. We are going camping next week and will give it a try.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. We are going camping next week and will give it a try.
Test it in your driveway. Run the fronts up, put a stack of lynx blocks (or a paver stone) were the jack lands and run them back down. It'll be clear as a bell after that.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:

Absolutely! We've done that a few times. When we picked it up from the dealership they said it was supposed to work that way.
medicKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Absolutely. They are built to do that.
Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes "Self Centering/Self leveling" Stabilizers! 1 motor moves 2 pads! Youroo!!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Your electric stabilizers are made by Lippert same as your frame more than likely and they also make locking stabilizer bars for use with the jacks called JT Strongarms that will take almost all shake and vibration out of the RV. The directions on the Strongarms say to level RV and than lower front with tongue jack about 1 inch. Lower rear stabilizers until both touch ground firmly and than tighten the rear Strongarm locks and raise front jack until RV is level. Than lower front stabilizers until both touch ground firmly tighten front Strongarm locks than raise tongue jack slightly to put pressure on front stabilizers. I do this and it works very well and it is straight from the manufacturer.
Tighten the locks? What locks? Where are these located? Inquiring minds need to know!
Nogrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

Stabilizer jack problems sunseeker on Mercedes Chassis

We just used our new 2018 Sunseeker for the first time. We put the jack's up and started driving. The sensor went off so we stopped to check them. Both jack's were up. We lowered them and put them up again. The right side jack would start and stop. We would have to release it and press the button again. Finally, we got them both up. Started down the road again and the sensor went off again. Both Jack's were up. Dealer told us to unplug the alert and to not use the stabilizer jack's until we got home and let them look at it. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #16

Stabilizer jacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
Tighten the locks? What locks? Where are these located? Inquiring minds need to know!

I believe the poster was talking about the locking bolts on a jt strong arm setup, which are aftermarket stabilizer bars that attach to the factory stabalizers
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #17

Lippert Power Stabilizing jacks on Rockwood 2606WS apparently do not work. I can level the trailer, put the jacks down, hold button 2 seconds longer for firm hold, BUT when the slideouts go out, the trailer leans. The Lippert jacks do not work ...

Am I correct in my conclusion?
Timeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #18
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeking View Post
Lippert Power Stabilizing jacks on Rockwood 2606WS apparently do not work. I can level the trailer, put the jacks down, hold button 2 seconds longer for firm hold, BUT when the slideouts go out, the trailer leans. The Lippert jacks do not work ...

I just went through the same thing on my maiden voyage. I think it is just what happens when you move some weight 3 feet out further from the frame. I concluded to not "level" my trailer side to side on the next trip but level it so the drivers side is 1" higher than the curb side. This should level out the trailer once the slides are extended.

I am assuming the weight from the extended slides uses the drivers side stabilizers as a fulcrum and lifts the curb side as it lowers the drivers side a bit, resulting in a noticeable tilt.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeking View Post

No.

Many of us have discussed this issue and there are lots of prior posts about this.

Yes they work. They are stabilizers... not levelers.

In my case (and many others) you need to have the slide side(s) slightly higher when leveling so that when the weight of the slide cantilevers out over the frame, it drops things back to level. The amount you need to raise varies and you'll quickly learn what is needed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #20

Here is a warning with some jacks. Know what you have there is a lot of confusion and wrong use of stabilizing jacks.........

Know whether yours are just stabilizing jacks or are leveling / stabilizing jacks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sjack1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	150366  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote